Gransnet forums

Chat

Nits

(19 Posts)
Cabby Fri 24-Jun-22 15:45:20

Grandkids had nits. Was advised to use nitty gritty comb.... AND IT WORKS !! All seem to have gone

crazyH Fri 24-Jun-22 15:48:34

Nice to know. I have little GC and they may pick them up at school …..

Glorianny Fri 24-Jun-22 15:58:45

Hope the school is doing a Nit-hunting night for all the classes where they have been spotted, or there is a good chance one or two children will still have them and you'll be back, combing again.

maddyone Fri 24-Jun-22 16:03:50

Glorianny teachers and school staff are not allowed to inspect children’s heads in schools. It would be assault. They may inform a parent if a louse is seen walking on a child’s head though.

BlueBelle Fri 24-Jun-22 16:06:05

Unless your grandchild is multiracial then don’t use a comb

Visgir1 Fri 24-Jun-22 16:55:12

I did read that Nits was one of the "victims" of Covid?
Seems the little bugs have gone on the march again.
Almost a "right of passage" for little ones. Nightmare for family tho.

nadateturbe Fri 24-Jun-22 17:08:21

That brings back memories I'd rather forget!

Oldbat1 Fri 24-Jun-22 17:38:59

Gone are the days of “nitty Norah” inspecting kids heads in school. Not permitted as seen as assault. Some families just dont seem to bother checking or even care if their kids have nits - I used to check my children every day.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Jun-22 18:17:13

How ridiculous! I remember the 'nit nurse' (not that I ever had them) just running her fingers through my hair, and everyone else's. Have we gone mad, saying this is assault?! So we just rely on parents to check? Heaven help us.

ExDancer Fri 24-Jun-22 18:24:00

Its a long time ago, but at my last school if we found a child had nits we combed conditioner through their hair (stops the little bleeders jumping or so I was told) and gave them a note to take home at the end of the day.
As I say, it was many years ago so might be called assault now. I never remember the children complaining.
And it seemed to work.

nexus63 Fri 24-Jun-22 18:28:09

i used to get them from a girl at school, heads close sharing books, sunday night was bath and hair washed and then over the sink with the steel bone comb, can still feel it...lol

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 24-Jun-22 18:29:34

I remember the hideous shampoo.

tanith Fri 24-Jun-22 18:33:42

I had nits as did my sisters and all my children at some point but they were soon got rid of with a nit comb and either shampoo or later conditioner. Just need to keep checking once they are in the school it’s often the same children who’s parents don’t bother that keep reinfecting the others.

rafichagran Fri 24-Jun-22 18:41:00

BlueBelle

Genuine question, but why is that?

rafichagran Fri 24-Jun-22 18:42:57

Sorry, I understand now, I have just re read what you said Bluebelle

Glorianny Fri 24-Jun-22 19:23:52

maddyone

Glorianny teachers and school staff are not allowed to inspect children’s heads in schools. It would be assault. They may inform a parent if a louse is seen walking on a child’s head though.

I don't think I said anything about inspecting. What most schools do now is send out a note if they know a child has nits telling parents there is a case in the school,or in year whatever and asking that they take part in a nit night or weekend. Advising what to look for, what products are available, how to use a nit comb and conditioner etc. If most parents cooperate the nits are gone. However if a few don't they can remain and nits will spread again.

ExDancer Sat 25-Jun-22 08:48:27

And apparently they prefer clean heads to dirty ones.

merlotgran Sat 25-Jun-22 09:22:43

BlueBelle

I don’t understand this either.

SpringyChicken Sat 25-Jun-22 09:28:51

Nor me