Gransnet forums

Chat

J.K.Rowling cancelled

(33 Posts)
hollysteers Mon 27-Jun-22 21:56:52

Do you think J.K. Rowling should not feel obliged to hide away, regardless of all the criticism she has received?
I feel she should brazen it out and make an appearance at some of the important milestones in her career.

SueDonim Mon 27-Jun-22 22:46:10

I don’t think she’s allowed herself to be cancelled, has she? She appears at things and seems quite visible.

Doodledog Mon 27-Jun-22 22:53:16

She's kind of untouchable, as she's so well off - she is happy to sue people who libel her on Twitter.

I think she's a great role model for girls, and also a great way for people who know anything about trans issues to show the massive holes in TRA 'arguments'. All you have to do is ask what specifically she said that was so bad, and they go straight to a flounce, or mutter something vague about her being transphobic. It's so clear that they have simply heard this from someone else who hasn't read the source and are simply parroting.

In answer to the question - no, I don't think that anyone should have to hide away for having an opinion that is protected by law. It is hard to believe that anyone has to do that in the UK, but times are changing for the worse.

maddyone Mon 27-Jun-22 22:58:57

I didn’t think she was hiding away, and nor should she. What kind of a world are our young people growing up in if they can’t listen to a different opinion than their own.

Doodledog Mon 27-Jun-22 23:02:59

I think what's even worse is that so many people don't even know what JKR's opinion is - they just take the word of someone who has told them she's transphobic.

Mollygo Wed 29-Jun-22 23:36:12

Doodledog

I think what's even worse is that so many people don't even know what JKR's opinion is - they just take the word of someone who has told them she's transphobic.

Usually the word of someone who like a bandwagon!

M0nica Thu 30-Jun-22 19:35:34

Far from it. I may even force myself to read some of her books just to show my support.

IwasaMaidofKent Thu 30-Jun-22 19:54:27

She should never hide away. I think she is an amazing woman for standing up for women. The death threats that she has received are disgusting. She encouraged a generation of children to read, is responsible for a whole new genre of wizardy books, made a few children very famous and very wealthy and ( my favourite) she has created a fantasic detective series about an amputee!

Cherrytree59 Thu 30-Jun-22 20:13:45

I think it would be impossible to cancel an author who has a worldwide readership.

Books and films loved by adults and children.

Harry Potter merchandise virtually in every shop .
Lego Harry Potter computer games as well huge amount of
Lego merchandise such as Hogwarts train, school, Night bus etc etc.

We will all be long gone, as will today's Woke brigade, but JK's legacy - her books will still be around for generations to come.

To her credit, she stood up and supported the rights of Women and Girl's to have and keep their safe places and also that of women in sports right to compete fair and square against women of their own Sex .

AmberSpyglass Thu 30-Jun-22 21:04:19

She isn’t hiding away, though. Personally I don’t like the books and I like her views on trans people even less, but she’s hardly a hermit.

Ilovecheese Thu 30-Jun-22 21:06:46

AmberSpyglass could you direct me to her views on transgender people in her own words?

IwasaMaidofKent Thu 30-Jun-22 21:29:50

Ilovecheese

AmberSpyglass could you direct me to her views on transgender people in her own words?

www.glamour.com/story/a-complete-breakdown-of-the-jk-rowling-transgender-comments-controversy
There is a transcript of JKR’s tweets here.

Mollygo Thu 30-Jun-22 21:30:59

Her views on trans people, AmberSpyglass? Like Ilovecheese I hope to learn where to access your sources.

Ilovecheese Thu 30-Jun-22 21:35:43

I've read the tweets. They seem to me to be supportive of trans people. Which ones are objectionable?

Doodledog Fri 01-Jul-22 11:18:38

Beats me, ilc. I've tried to see them as transphobic, but I really can't. The only way I can think of that people could believe JKR to be 'anti-trans' is because they have been told that this is the case and they see moaning about her as a badge of their support for the cause.

It's the same with cliches like 'transpeople are the most marginalised group in society'. When asked what this means, and how anyone knows, the 'allies' can't tell you that, either. It's another phrase that is just trotted out without thought or understanding.

Vintagejazz Fri 01-Jul-22 11:24:33

I can't see anything offensive about those comments.

Vintagejazz Fri 01-Jul-22 11:25:47

Would genuinely be interested, Amberglass, in knowing which part of them you object to?

Philippa111 Fri 01-Jul-22 12:43:40

I read this written by JK on her website and heard her views.

You can make your own mind up as to whether you think she is right or wrong.

www.jkrowling.com/opinions/j-k-rowling-writes-about-her-reasons-for-speaking-out-on-sex-and-gender-issues/

snowberryZ Fri 01-Jul-22 13:21:01

No way should she hide away.
If anything, J k Rowling and Sharron Davies deserve medals for having the guts to shine a spotlight on something that a lot of people are too scared to talk about.

Mollygo Fri 01-Jul-22 13:34:53

Philippa111 Thanks for the link.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 01-Jul-22 13:48:11

Thanks for the link Philippa111. Wow! She is a brave woman and puts her arguments very well (she is, after all, a writer!). I think she is 100% right.

mayisay Fri 01-Jul-22 14:01:45

I agree with you, entirely, Snowberry Z.

Lucca Fri 01-Jul-22 14:05:03

Ilovecheese

Exactly

AGAA4 Fri 01-Jul-22 14:32:14

I think her views are sensible. She supports women and transwomen. There is no excuse for the vile things that people have said about her.

Doodledog Fri 01-Jul-22 14:37:08

snowberryZ

No way should she hide away.
If anything, J k Rowling and Sharron Davies deserve medals for having the guts to shine a spotlight on something that a lot of people are too scared to talk about.

I couldn't agree more, and after years of hearing that JKR is transphobic I have never even once had anyone tell me why they think this is the case - and it's not for want of asking!