Gransnet forums

Chat

Advice please about trip on RIB (rigid inflatable boat)

(13 Posts)
Doodle Tue 28-Jun-22 10:14:03

Just wondering if anyone has been on a RIB excursion on the sea and wondered what they thought of the experience.
Is it very bouncy, uncomfortable?
Any information much appreciated.

Sago Tue 28-Jun-22 10:15:43

Hold on tight and obviously wear a life jacket.
It can be exhilarating, I’ve only experienced one abroad, probably not as exhilarating in the North Sea?

25Avalon Tue 28-Jun-22 10:27:08

Dd and family had to return from the Isles of Scilly on a RIB last year due to planes unable to fly in bad weather and no places left on the Scillonian or anywhere to stay. It was dark and the sea was very rough so it was extremely bouncy and they all felt quite ill. Gd was sick several times. They all had to wear life jackets. All were grateful to get to Penzance!

In ordinary weather if you like speed it would be quite exhilarating. As I was concerned I looked it up and RIBs are one of the safest boats used by the RNLI and the police. Choose a calm day and go for it if you like speed.

Soroptimum Tue 28-Jun-22 10:30:17

I’ve been on many RIB rides! Love them - but would definitely advise against if you have any back issues (or loose fillings!)
They are VERY bumpy. We did one in Alaska in full survival gear, on the Menai Straights (highly recommended), and on the Solent to name a few.

Greyduster Tue 28-Jun-22 10:35:08

If you have anything wrong with your back don’t do it! They can bounce you about something awful. As others have said it can be exhilarating (or if you’re running through the Bitches in Ramsey Sound off St David’s, read downright terrifying!). We had a run up the coast in Cornwall in one a couple of years ago on fairly choppy sea and it was lovely - until we broke down and sat waiting to be rescued. Then boat was wallowing pathetically with the horizon going up and down, and that made more people sick than the ride itself! Go, enjoy it; it’s an experience!

MrsKen33 Tue 28-Jun-22 11:00:32

We have never been on one, but the last cruise we went on a 90year old lady went on a rib ride. She was dressed in her orange coveralls had a big smile on her face and was carried onto the boat. She had a big smile when she got back also. Don’t know if the fiords are less rough than the sea though. I suspect they might be. Good luck anyway

Doodle Tue 28-Jun-22 11:07:37

Thank you all for your replies. We don’t currently have bad backs but I am concerned about it being very bouncy. I suppose a lot depends on the weather on the day.

Soroptimum Tue 28-Jun-22 11:16:31

Doodle

Thank you all for your replies. We don’t currently have bad backs but I am concerned about it being very bouncy. I suppose a lot depends on the weather on the day.

It will be very bouncy even if the sea isn’t rough. But it’s exhilarating! Just watch some videos on YouTube.

LauraNorderr Tue 28-Jun-22 11:23:31

We had a RIB for twenty years, got rid of it last year. Great fun if you enjoy speed across the water. Will pull a skier and a donut. Not good if you have a bad back, very bouncy ride.
RNLI use them, safe, light, versatile.

SunshineSally Tue 28-Jun-22 12:33:10

My DD bought me a RIB experience a few years ago. It was great fun though I screamed with laughter the whole way through as we were going so fast and bounced along the waves - to the Bond 007 theme music! Great fun, though my legs were a little wobbly when I got off. Hold on tight! ?

Visgir1 Tue 28-Jun-22 16:28:45

For me.. Sea sick pills!

Doodle Wed 29-Jun-22 00:33:31

Thanks all. If we go, I will let you know how we got on…..if I’m able ?

Esspee Wed 29-Jun-22 00:51:32

Nobody could manage to get me on one of those. The whole object of the trip is for everyone to be petrified. If you enjoy that kind of thing -think roller coasters - then you’ll love it.
If you are not fit and healthy it would be most unwise.