Gransnet forums

Chat

Disaster in the kitchen ?

(6 Posts)
Witzend Tue 28-Jun-22 19:41:39

A full new milk bottle broke just as I was taking it from the fridge. I didn’t drop it - it literally broke in my hand.

Milk all over the inside of the fridge, over the fridge door, all over the kitchen floor and under the fridge, all over the door to the dining room and the edge of the dining room carpet.
And all down my top and trousers.
Plus all the broken glass of course.

At least my hand wasn’t cut, but how it escaped I don’t know. I’ve never known such a thing happen - has anyone else?

I’ve done a basic clean up with Flash and about a mile of kitchen roll, but will need to give everything a thorough wash tomorrow morning, before it starts stinking.
Can’t face it tonight.

Honeysuckleberries Tue 28-Jun-22 19:44:39

Glad you are ok. It must be something to do with air pressure.

I opened my cupboard yesterday and a 2 pint Pyrex glass jug exploded. It was so forceful it embedded bits in side of cupboard, but at least it was safety glass.

Aren’t we having a smashing time ?

Visgir1 Tue 28-Jun-22 19:48:09

That's a bugger... I think Bicarb stops the smell..? Might be worth sprinkling some around tonight if you have any.
Rotton luck..

Witzend Tue 28-Jun-22 19:53:18

That must have been scary, Honeysuckleberries! Thank goodness none of it embedded itself in you!

Thanks for the bicarb tip, Visgirl - I think I’ve got some somewhere.

Grammaretto Tue 28-Jun-22 19:55:48

That must have been shocking.
I've known ginger beer bottles explode as they fermented and gas built up but not milk.
At least it wasn't in the car.
I agree bicarb will stop the smell.

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Jun-22 20:11:47

Visgir1

That's a bugger... I think Bicarb stops the smell..? Might be worth sprinkling some around tonight if you have any.
Rotton luck..

Yes, bicarbonate is good for forgetting rid of all kinds of smells.

Newspaper is good for picking up broken glass full of food bits - eg a whole trifle!