Gransnet forums

Chat

Heart shaped womb

(5 Posts)
Dunne18 Fri 01-Jul-22 13:32:31

Has anyone had any personal experience or knowledge of a heart shaped womb? When my daughter had a miscarriage she was told she had this “condition”

ElaineI Fri 01-Jul-22 18:02:40

I think it means there are 2 corners sometimes with membrane between. It can cause miscarriage and preterm birth. It's medical name is bicornuate.

Dunne18 Sun 16-Apr-23 11:34:21

Yes that’s right. Thank you .
I wondered if anyone knew of someone who had this condition and how their pregnancies had progressed.

Annajay Sun 16-Apr-23 15:29:34

My daughter has a bicornuate uterus of "moderate" severity. Her pregnancy was treated as "high risk" and she was monitored by a consultant obstetrician throughout. Fortunately, she had a completely healthy, full-term pregnancy, although anxiety levels were high due to some of the alarming information online about this condition. She had planned for a vaginal birth, but the baby was presenting face first (which may have been caused by restricted space to get into the right position) and she had to have an emergency c section. Baby emerged as a beautiful, healthy 8 pounder and he and his mother are both doing well!

Washerwoman Sun 16-Apr-23 16:24:17

A relative of mine has this and sadly had 2 very late miscarriages before it was diagnosed.Happily then she went on to have 2 almost full term pregnancies and two healthy babies.It depends on how extreme the division of the uterus and where the ovum embeds and the placental position as the uterus expands from what I remember.