Gransnet forums

Chat

Outrageous price hike

(44 Posts)
Shinamae Sun 03-Jul-22 11:10:42

I buy Tesco nappy bags to use as poo bags for my dog, for a long time they have been 67p and would expect maybe a 10% rise but they have gone up to £1 which is a nearly 50% rise. I really don’t understand this at all as I thought the cost of living rise would be about 10%. Please feel free to enlighten me… it seems to me the supermarkets now have carte blanche to do exactly what they want with prices

Shandy57 Sun 03-Jul-22 11:17:55

Yes Shinamae, I went food shopping the other day and I noticed a lot of odd increases. I have been meaning to meal plan for weeks so I can make the most of what I buy, must do it today, keep putting it off.

25Avalon Sun 03-Jul-22 11:27:42

Maybe they are made from plastic which is based on oil and oil prices have rocketed. Better for the environment to buy biodegradable bags.

Audi10 Sun 03-Jul-22 11:50:09

We buy the my little star 100 nappy sacks for ours and yes they have gone up a tremendous amount I’m sure they were 2 packs for around 1.25 , they are now 2 for £2!

timetogo2016 Sun 03-Jul-22 11:57:21

Dh and i have noticed for sometime now that prices of most items in supermarkets have inceased.
A few examples are..Clover spread was £1,50 now £2,50
All fruit and veg ,bread/cheese/milk to name but a few.
We shall be cutting down on certain things but god knows what as we don`t indulge in anything tbh.
And lets not mention fuel eh.

Audi10 Sun 03-Jul-22 12:06:28

So true timetogo. There is only so much you can cut down on,

MerylStreep Sun 03-Jul-22 12:32:13

25Avalon

Maybe they are made from plastic which is based on oil and oil prices have rocketed. Better for the environment to buy biodegradable bags.

And they are made in Thailand.

Kate1949 Sun 03-Jul-22 12:39:24

Yes prices are on the up. A cucumber in Aldi a couple of weeks ago was 43p. This week it was 55p.

Redhead56 Sun 03-Jul-22 13:39:46

The supermarkets are putting the prices up because they can. They know we want or need the products so we will pay.
We don't have a choice unless we give up even the bare necessities of life.
It's our young families I worry about now with the interest rates and the cost of living.
This reminds me of the late 80s when the mortgage rate went up to 15%. What a difficult time it was for everyone.

sharon103 Sun 03-Jul-22 13:55:43

A lot of things gone up by 50p I've noticed.
I usually do an Iceland order every now and then. I went on their website a couple of nights ago and couldn't believe how much things had gone up. Utterly Butterly gone up 60p, I can buy that from B&M for £1.10 Iceland selling frozen cream doughnuts £2.00 Tesco and B&M £1.00. I could go on...
Needless to say I didn't bother.

Shinamae Sun 03-Jul-22 22:16:23

25Avalon

I think I do my bit for the environment as I don’t fly and I don’t drive..

Katek Sun 03-Jul-22 23:20:20

Tesco actually have dog poo bags - £1 for 100 degradable bags

Mollygo Sun 03-Jul-22 23:24:46

Lots of places have biodegradable poo bags. They don’t seem to have gone up recently.

Shinamae Sun 03-Jul-22 23:33:51

I have tried the actual poo bags but found they were too small and the nappy bags are quite a bit bigger and far more suitable..

25Avalon Mon 04-Jul-22 08:52:32

Funny I have found it the other way round. The biodegradable dog poo bags I use ( came free from Lily’s kitchen with a purchase of 25% off dog food) are far more serviceable than the cheap nappy ones from Sainsbury’s. They are bigger and feel stronger and I don’t run the risk of it spilling out on my hands - my dog is a lab with large doggie do doos. Guess you have to shop around.

Maggiemaybe Mon 04-Jul-22 09:17:42

Mollygo

Lots of places have biodegradable poo bags. They don’t seem to have gone up recently.

Pets at Home have degradable bags for £1.50 for 200. On 4 for 3 offer at the moment if anyone’s interested.

I’m not sure why I’m googling dog poo bags when I don’t have a dog (putting off the jobs I should be doing probably)! I’m now resisting the urge to google degradable nappy bags when I don’t have a baby…..

lixy Mon 04-Jul-22 09:38:31

maggiemaybe always handy to have put the research in 'just in case'! grin

Beetroot took a hike in price here recently but is now coming down again - seasonal variation I guess.

Shinamae Mon 04-Jul-22 13:37:05

Maggiemaybe

Mollygo

Pets at Home have degradable bags for £1.50 for 200. On 4 for 3 offer at the moment if anyone’s interested.

I’m not sure why I’m googling dog poo bags when I don’t have a dog (putting off the jobs I should be doing probably)! I’m now resisting the urge to google degradable nappy bags when I don’t have a baby…..

Will certainly look at the pets at home bags,thanks ..

Shandy57 Mon 04-Jul-22 15:35:15

I thought of you last night Shinamae. I was at the edge of a field in the middle of nowhere, and scrabbled for my poo bag roll - then remembered it was on the kitchen table. Found a big dock leaf, and had to lob it into the dense undergrowth! smile

Shinamae Mon 04-Jul-22 17:18:08

Shandy57

I thought of you last night Shinamae. I was at the edge of a field in the middle of nowhere, and scrabbled for my poo bag roll - then remembered it was on the kitchen table. Found a big dock leaf, and had to lob it into the dense undergrowth! smile

Oh Shandy…??

MadeInYorkshire Mon 04-Jul-22 17:42:56

Looks as though by Christmas we may have a bread crisis too, as the flour mills aren't able to get the decent wheat - the UK doesn't grow it and most UK farmers just grow the stuff for animal feed. A lot of wheat used to come from Ukraine, but that won't be happening for a year or two now; the decent organic spelt this mill uses comes from Germany, it's there, but there are no lorry drivers to bring it!

MadeInYorkshire Mon 04-Jul-22 17:45:57

Most of the bio-degradable bags are thin and poor, but I have recently found some decent ones on Amazon which you don't put your finger through!!

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OZPDC5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1]]

TillyTrotter Mon 04-Jul-22 17:56:16

I buy Aldi own brand “Magnum” (2 sizes available) for soiled cat litter. They have risen in price but are £1.09 for 80 bags.
Tie handles.

Shinamae Thu 07-Jul-22 14:12:40

TillyTrotter

I buy Aldi own brand “Magnum” (2 sizes available) for soiled cat litter. They have risen in price but are £1.09 for 80 bags.
Tie handles.

Tilly are you sure that’s the right picture? ?

TillyTrotter Thu 07-Jul-22 14:33:40

Yes,
they have tie handles so I use them for spent cat litter Shinamae. They are quite thin, but not too thin IYKWIM.