Gransnet forums

Chat

7 Wonders of the Modern World

(30 Posts)
DanniRae Tue 05-Jul-22 07:30:16

I have been reading about the 7 Wonders and wondered if anyone has actually visited any of them?

BlueBelle Tue 05-Jul-22 07:47:22

Can you go a bit further maybe a link ?

MerylStreep Tue 05-Jul-22 08:01:40

I didn’t know what they were so I looked them up.
I been to Christ the redeemer.
The Great Wall of China.
Petra.
Coliseum.

DanniRae Tue 05-Jul-22 08:34:07

Sorry can't do a link blush but they are:

The Great Wall of China
Chichen Itza - Mexico
Petra - Jordan
Machu Picchu - Peru
Christ the Redeemer - Brazil
The Colosseum of Rome
The Taj Mahal - India

Maggiemaybe Tue 05-Jul-22 08:44:20

I didn’t even know there were a designated 7 modern wonders. I’ve been to the Great Wall, Christ the Redeemer and the Colosseum. I’d love to see the other four now.

Juliet27 Tue 05-Jul-22 08:48:15

I’ve been to The Colosseum and Machu Pichu

DanniRae Tue 05-Jul-22 09:34:30

Apparently over 100 million people around the world voted for them via the internet and texts.
Only one of the ancient Wonders of the World still exists - the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt!
I haven't seen any of them - ancient or modern - but the one I would most like to see is Christ the Redeemer in Brazil.

Farmor15 Tue 05-Jul-22 09:37:15

I've been to Chichen Itza, Colliseum and Taj Mahal. The list is only arbitrary- anyone could come up with a different list!
Maybe people could suggest a different 7?

Witzend Tue 05-Jul-22 11:21:46

I’ve seen only the Coliseum and the Taj Mahal.

To me, one of the wonders of the modern world is the fact that I can fancy reading such and such a book, simply press a button or two, and just seconds later the entire thing - all 100,000 or more words of it, whizzes through the ether into my Kindle.
I still can’t understand how, and even if Brian Cox tried to explain it to me I dare say I still wouldn’t. I just don’t have that sort of brain.

Blondiescot Tue 05-Jul-22 11:40:08

I've not visited any of the 'modern' wonders but I have visited two of the sites of the 'ancient' ones - the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus and the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus.

Esspee Tue 05-Jul-22 12:06:30

Blondiescot

I've not visited any of the 'modern' wonders but I have visited two of the sites of the 'ancient' ones - the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus and the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus.

Me too Blondiescot plus the pyramids at Giza. We seem to have similar interests.

Ali08 Tue 05-Jul-22 23:52:02

Of the 'modern world'??

DanniRae Wed 06-Jul-22 07:44:05

Ali08 - As opposed to the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World - for example "The Pyramids of Giza" or "The Hanging Gardens of Babylon."

jenni123 Wed 06-Jul-22 11:55:43

I have only been to the one left of the old wonders of the world, the Pyramids of Egypt. I actually packed up my home when I was in my very early sixties and moved to Egypt after going there on holiday and falling in love with it. I stayed about 14 years before having to return to UK due to ill health.

Janetashbolt Wed 06-Jul-22 11:59:24

Scared of flying ever seen any of them, never will

CatsCatsCats Wed 06-Jul-22 12:11:36

Colosseum and Taj Mahal.

Visiting the Taj Mahal had been a dream of mine for quite a while and I got to see it for my 40th birthday.

I'd love to see the rest, too, and the 7 wonders of the Ancient World. Pity my pocket won't stretch that far!

Sadgrandma Wed 06-Jul-22 12:15:43

I wonder what would be considered the wonders of the really modern world, say 20th and 21st century. Any ideas?

NannaGrandad Wed 06-Jul-22 13:02:50

I’ve seen the Pyramids and 3 of the ‘newer’ wonders. The Coliseum, Taj Mahal and Chichen Itza. I was lucky enough to be able to climb the great pyramid at Chichen Itza. It’s now roped off to prevent damage.

mrswoo Wed 06-Jul-22 14:58:19

I've seen the Christ the Redeemer in Rio but the only Taj Mahal I've been to was in Bristol Street,Birmingham in the 1960's (apologies)

grandtanteJE65 Wed 06-Jul-22 15:51:40

Well, of the seven wonders of the modern world I have only seen the Colosseum in Rome. I would like the opportunity to see Petra and the Taj Mahal, but am not concerned about the rest.

I have, on the other hand, seen the following, all of which in my estimation are worth a visit or two:
The Cathedral of Cologne
Hadrian's Wall
Edinburgh Castle
Holyrood House
The Castle of Kronborg
The Castle of Rosenborg in Copenhagen
walked most of the French route to Santiago de Compostela

I can highly recommend any or all of these seven.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 06-Jul-22 16:01:27

DanniRae

Apparently over 100 million people around the world voted for them via the internet and texts.
Only one of the ancient Wonders of the World still exists - the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt!
I haven't seen any of them - ancient or modern - but the one I would most like to see is Christ the Redeemer in Brazil.

You should go if you can. He has the most beautiful calm face. Getting up there is a nightmare though if you don’t like heights as it involves two cable cars, one up to Sugar Loaf mountain and the second up to Corcovado, both over the sea.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 06-Jul-22 16:02:41

Janetashbolt

Scared of flying ever seen any of them, never will

So am I, Janetashbolt, although I have done it a few times, but the Colosseum can be reached by train. You see interesting places on the way as well, which isn't true if you fly.

Seabreeze Wed 06-Jul-22 17:38:06

I’ve been to the Pyramids, chichen Itza, coliseum, Taj Mahal. I think the Grand Canyon should of been one it’s awesome. More impressed with it than any of the others.

crazyH Wed 06-Jul-22 18:20:06

Pyramids, Colisseum and Leaning Tower of Pisa (isn’t that one of the wonders)

CanadianGran Wed 06-Jul-22 18:27:25

Seabreeze, I believe the Grand Canyon is one of the 'natural' wonders of the world. It is on my list and hopefully I will get a chance to see it.