Gransnet forums

Chat

Scottish grans only

(151 Posts)
Esspee Tue 05-Jul-22 13:34:24

I was thinking about what makes Scotland unique. For example it’s the only place I know made more beautiful by rain.
So what would you like to add?

Grandmabatty Tue 05-Jul-22 13:49:20

The diversity of scenery and weather! Four seasons in one day. You are never far away from a hill.

Ali08 Tue 05-Jul-22 23:31:07

I'm not Scottish, tho I'm Geordie so not too far off.
The beautiful landscapes, the castles (Northumberland has lots of castles, too).
The fact that I was so surprised to learn your national animal is a unicorn, as I had thought it would be dear old Nessie.
And there we have another thing, Loch Ness & Nessie!
The varying accents and the men, and women, in kilts - gotta love seeing the kilt wearers in all their glory!!
The views from mountains to valleys.
Scotland is a beautiful place.

paddyann54 Wed 06-Jul-22 00:08:32

As a weegie I say people ,people who are the most generous ,friendly helpful that you could ever hope to meet .Stand at a bustop and swap life stories with a stranger ,ask for directions and find the person you ask will get in your car and take you where you want to go .
I have always had wonderful neighbours ,folk who become like family who help you through bad times and join you for the good .Of course I live in a lovely part of the country so theres great scenery ,good restaurants brilliant history and lots more.
Why would we ever want to live anywhere else ?This as our minister friend tells anyone who'll listen is Gods own country

Esspee Wed 06-Jul-22 13:08:10

This morning I took the bus into town and was very conscious that every local who got off thanked the driver. This included several people who clearly had moved here relatively recently. It made me wonder if that is a National trait or whether it happens in other countries.

Marydoll Wed 06-Jul-22 13:31:14

Everything paddyann has said. That is why I am proud to be Scottish.
There is such a generosity of spirit in Glaswegians.
I ended up helping an elderly gentleman in the pharmacy today, to work out out what size of elastic stocking he needed. He hadn't a clue what they were asking of him.The pharmacist and two assistants joined in! Situation resolved and smiles all round.
I got a the whole script of his GP visit. DH was getting really impatient, waiting outside.He couldnt work out why I was taking so long.

Marydoll Wed 06-Jul-22 13:33:11

Espee, I love that ^ Thank you driver!^ thing.
You quite often get an amusing response!

Nannan2 Wed 06-Jul-22 13:40:11

I think a lot of people do thank the driver, no matter where you live..maybe not all the kids- but some.Depends how you are/were brought up.?

Casdon Wed 06-Jul-22 14:17:57

I’m a usurper on the thread. We’re a friendly bunch too. Everybody thanks the driver in Wales - ‘Cheers drive’. In fact many of the wonderful things about Scotland apply here too, particularly the scenery, and especially the rain as we have both the wettest city in the UK and the wettest place (that doesn’t thrill me to be honest, I’m just used to it). I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else, but I expect most people feel the same wherever they live?

Mine Wed 06-Jul-22 14:20:14

The patter and all the glasgow saying that only Weegies would laugh at...All the old pubs in Glasgow that have a fabulous atmosphere in them on a Saturday.. There is a real warmth that comes from Glaswegian people...Gone yersel hen....

Barmeyoldbat Wed 06-Jul-22 14:23:41

I agree totally with you Caslon. I have never been to Scotland but will one day, but I just love the friendship of the Welsh people

Bodach Wed 06-Jul-22 14:50:56

I am 100% Scots Highlander by birth and upbringing, but have also lived in Southern Scotland and various locations around England and Wales, and spent quite a bit of time in Northern Ireland and other places around the world. I'm afraid, Esspee, that there is absolutely nothing I can say with hand on heart (with one possible exception*) is absolutely unique to Scotland. Wherever one goes in the world, one finds that most people are open-hearted and kind, courageous and humorous. There is beautiful scenery to be seen everywhere, and the same rain falls on us all. I am not trying to 'do down' my homeland, but saying that certain aspects of Scotland and its people are absolutely unique is over-egging the pudding somewhat. The one possible exception* is my beloved Stornoway Black Pudding - but even there I would not aver that someone, somewhere on the other side of the globe is not at this very moment up to their elbows in gore, preparing its equal.

ginny Wed 06-Jul-22 15:02:47

I agreeBodach people are the same the world over good, bad and indifferent.
Many many beautiful places in Britain.

My favourite is Cornwall ( I’m not a native). Very diverse in its nature and scenery.

Grandmabatty Wed 06-Jul-22 15:53:27

This was specifically aimed at Scottish grans so I'm not sure why others are getting upset!

ginny Wed 06-Jul-22 15:59:42

I don’t think anyone is getting upset. Certainly not me. Just pointing out that not all people from one area can possibly be the same. Some are kind and helpful and other wouldn’t give you the time of day and plenty in the middle?

grandtanteJE65 Wed 06-Jul-22 16:07:05

Esspee

This morning I took the bus into town and was very conscious that every local who got off thanked the driver. This included several people who clearly had moved here relatively recently. It made me wonder if that is a National trait or whether it happens in other countries.

In country areas of the south of Denmark, it is customary to thank the bus driver when you get off the bus and to greet him or her when you get on.

It is also still customary to greet people you pass when walking or cycling down the road - whether you know them or not.

And another custom, I was surprised to realise still was stuck to when we moved here: children not only greet the grown-ups they pass on pavements - they move aside for them too!

Spinnaker Wed 06-Jul-22 16:15:11

I agree ginny. Having been lucky enough to travel worldwide and spend lots of happy times in different countries, only in Scotland was I made to feel unwelcome for being English. This, despite having spent lots of happy times there whilst our daughter was at university for four years. So for me Scotland will be unique (to quote the OP) as making me both unhappy - and happy.

Mine Wed 06-Jul-22 17:02:22

Oops Scottish Granny's we better not say anymore even though the original post was asking us a question...

Esspee Wed 06-Jul-22 17:57:15

A love of your own country is to be encouraged. I am sure others feel the same about their homeland.

I have a DNA relative coming to Scotland this summer to walk the West Highland Way. He is ecstatic about the Scottish “right to roam” and says you don’t have that anywhere else.

Nonny Wed 06-Jul-22 18:51:14

I have lived in Scotland for 40 years. It is abeautiful place. My children, one born here , the other brought her by us as a toddler both fit in. Over the years I have had some good friends but many have moved away. Like Spinnaker says I have frequently been made to feel most unwelcome and miserable because I am English. I feel sad that I will never be allowed to fit in inspite of bending over backwards not to be "Posh," entitled or different!sad

Marydoll Wed 06-Jul-22 19:08:14

I'm horrified to hear about anti English sentiments on here. and apologise for my fellow countrymen behaviour..

I have never come across it, I'm glad to say, or I would call it out.
Is it prevalent in an specific areas
of the country?

Zonne Wed 06-Jul-22 19:33:21

I am English, and the only time I was ever made to feel it was an issue when living in Scotland was at the football . I’m sorry others have not had the same almost entirely positive experience.

Totally agree about the right to roam; I always feel a shade apprehensive (or perhaps irrationally guilty is a better description) walking in unsignposted places in Scotland, and Scottish friends find only being allowed to walk on designated paths and rights of way downright annoying.

Other unique good things: community right to buy, and associated funding programmes; vacant and derelict land legislation; amount of genuinely community owned renewables projects.

Allyoops Wed 06-Jul-22 19:49:56

We are planning a move to Glasgow as soon as we can find somewhere to buy - we are moving closer to our family. We love the warmth and friendliness of the people, the scenery, the space - the rain is no problem. As our DIL says, if the weather is a problem, we're not wearing the right clothes! We've invested in waterproof jackets and trousers just to be on the safe side.....

Marydoll Wed 06-Jul-22 19:55:13

That's good to hear. You will be very welcome to come to a Glesca Grannies meet up.

annodomini Wed 06-Jul-22 20:04:32

Born, bred and educated in Scotland, but, by and accident of marriage, resident in England for the past 52 years. What always gives me a lump in my throat is the 'skirl' of the pipes. I must remember to tell my family that they need to have Highland Cathedral played on the pipes at my funeral! I am also proud of our national poet, Robert Burns. I would like his work to be better known on both sides of the Border - the humour, the satire, the humanity make him not just a national poet but an international poet. I'm not a fan of haggis, but you can't beat an Arbroath 'smokie' or a perfectly constructed Cranachan dessert. Although my sons and grandchildren are English by birth I hope they will cherish their Scottish heritage.