Gransnet forums

Chat

Took a tumble off my bike yesterday...

(38 Posts)
CanadianGran Wed 03-Aug-22 19:50:16

Stupid me, riding home after work in the rain, I tried to avoid a large puddle on the road and caught a rut. I ended up splayed out on the sidewalk (your pavement) soaked and assessing damages.

Luckily two lovely co-workers stopped. One had seen me take the tumble and offered to help, and another had a larger vehicle and offered to give me a lift the rest of the way home. He put the chain back on the gear, loaded the bike and brought me home. Admittedly I was shaken, but no blood or head injury. I had a sore shoulder which I iced when home.

My DH was very concerned and pampered me for the evening. I kept saying I was fine, which I mostly am, but did have a stiff shoulder last night and today.

It has made me realize that I am not invincible, and I need to take care. Accidents happen quickly, and I was very lucky that I didn't really hurt myself. I decided to drive to work today, but will 'get back on the horse' on the next non-rainy day.

Soroptimum Wed 03-Aug-22 19:57:39

Hope you’re feeling better soon! flowers

Ilovecheese Wed 03-Aug-22 20:08:04

Bad luck.

Chewbacca Wed 03-Aug-22 20:25:38

Sounds like it's really shaken you up CanadianGran; thing is... we don't bounce as easily as we used to do we? Warm bath, feet up and rest.

lixy Wed 03-Aug-22 20:32:33

Ouch, I feel for you - both body and dignity bruised. As chewbacca says we don't bounce in quite the same way anymore.
The trees here are covering the cycle paths with a fine dusting of needles and other debris and that is very slippery too.

Happy wheeling when you get back to it.

Baggs Wed 03-Aug-22 20:33:10

Hope you feel okay today, CG, and that the shoulder has settled. Falling off a bike is much more of a thing as we age and don't bounce so well, as Chewy says.

Callistemon21 Wed 03-Aug-22 20:43:34

Hope you're recovering now CanadianGran

I know the feeling, one moment you're fine, the next moment everything seems to be happening in slow motion and you can't stop it happening.

CanadianGran Wed 03-Aug-22 22:11:35

Thank you all for the replies. I'm fine really, just a bit sore, but I did lay awake thinking of how stupid a mistake it was on my part, and that it could have been much worse. I'm lucky to come away with just bruises.

JenniferEccles Wed 03-Aug-22 22:17:40

Sorry to hear that CG.
It’s so easily done isn’t it?
I’m glad you are ok though and that a colleague was on hand to help you.

Esmay Thu 04-Aug-22 02:15:19

Hi ,

I hope that you are okay .

Do you wear a helmet plus a mouth / face guard ?

Please do .

I know someone , who is brain damaged from falling off her bike .
And a guy , who lost eight teeth .

Get well soon and take care .

karmalady Thu 04-Aug-22 06:41:37

keep on riding canadian gran, good balance and exercise comes from cycling and hitting a rut was a one off, I am sure. I hope the bruises vanish quickly and that you get back to cycling very soon

I am out cycling as much as I can and eyes are firmly down in front of me when doing 28mph down a tarmac hill. Best quality helmet, yes. Mouthguard/faceguard, they are for cricket not cycling. I don`t cycle when there are puddles on the road

dragonfly46 Thu 04-Aug-22 06:58:13

I was cycling home from work once and thought as I just wanted to pop to the shop a few yards away I would hang my bag on my handle bars.
The next thing I knew I was in the road with blue flashing lights above me.
I felt very stupid and didn’t do that again.
I recently fell flat on my face Nordic Walking and still suffering the effects so hope you feel better soon.
I can sympathise.

Shoshana Thu 04-Aug-22 07:03:53

I agree with karmalady. The health benefits from cycling will be doing you so much good. There's obviously a risk but hopefully you'll be cycling again soon once you're over the shock and bruising (wearing a helmet!).

BlueBelle Thu 04-Aug-22 07:10:31

Scary isn’t it hope you’re ok
I just missed one the other day my shoelace entangled in the pedal just managed to get my foot down to stop on time

I like my cycle I don’t know about Canada but some of the potholes and uneven bits here are dreadful

Esmay Thu 04-Aug-22 08:52:45

Actually , mouthguards are recommended for cycling not just for cricket .

And one of my friends is wearing one ever since she embedded her teeth into her horse's neck with he reared up .

Wishing every one safe when cycling , riding or doing most sports !

CanadianGran Thu 04-Aug-22 17:16:57

Good morning, I drove my car to work today... I still have a stiff shoulder so I thought I would give myself one more day of rest. Plus I will take my bike for a short test ride to make sure all the gears are ok since the chain did come off. It was a stupid misjudgment on my part, and it was raining quite heavily at the time. I will have to look at the forecast more closely!

I do indeed wear a helmet, but never a mouthguard (it has never occurred to me). My windbreaker is bright yellow so I am visible to cars.

I love biking, and don't want to live in fear of hurting myself, but at the same time I need to realize that mistakes or falls can happen quickly and I need to be careful. I always tell my kids 'make good choices'. I could take a little of my own advice!

lixy Thu 04-Aug-22 20:48:22

Hope your bike is OK and your shoulder loosens up soon - bruised I guess.
Watching the Commonwealth games road time trial earlier I was impressed by how bouncy the super-cyclists are, but even they make mistakes and misjudgements.
Take care, and enjoy yourself when you gat back on to the road.

GrandmaKT Thu 04-Aug-22 22:46:49

Ouch! I can sympathise CanadianGran, having come off my bike a couple of times. No serious injuries, but both times various bits of my body carried on hurting for a long time. Shoulder injuries in particular seem to linger for ages.
Hope you're feeling better and back in the saddle soon xx

Grantanow Sat 06-Aug-22 11:11:21

Hope you were wearing your crash helmet.

pascal30 Sat 06-Aug-22 11:14:19

I came off my bike on the Mawddach cycle path... it happened very quickly and fortunately I was going slowly but I had huge bruises on my arm and leg.. It is an electric bike which I had been happily speeding around on but am now rather wary of going on. It really knocked my confidence

kittypaws49 Sat 06-Aug-22 11:36:08

Hope you feel better soon, Canadian Gran, I would second the use of a mouthguard, and a helmet, a few years ago my daughter came off her bicycle , the wheel must have caught in something, she went over headfirst and broke her jaw. It could have been worse if she'd hit her head, but still, she had to undergo surgery to wire her jaw, very uncomfortable , and then needed wires on her teeth to re-align them .

Nightsky2 Sat 06-Aug-22 11:44:33

We are never prepared for them!.

I fell (went flying) when walking the dog in the woods and tore my rotator cuff. I recently had surgery to repair it and now almost recovered. I was in the most awful pain for the first few weeks after the surgery, a million times worse than after the fall.

My best friend had the same surgery for her rotator cuff injury after she went flying over the handlebars of her bike when on holiday with her DGD a few years ago.

CanadianGran. All falls are worse as we age so please take care and I hope your shoulder feels better soon.

GreenGran78 Sat 06-Aug-22 12:32:55

I hope your shoulder is soon better, and your confidence isn't too bruised.

A couple of years ago I was walking with a friend. In the course of conversation I remarked how, when anyone had a fall, someone always tried to haul them to their feet without checking for damage. Shortly afterwards my foot slipped off the edge of a sloping kerb, and I fell sideways into the road. Luckily there was no traffic to run me over. I taught judo, many years ago, and seem to have retained the ability to fall without injury. I was just taking a moment to make sure that I hadn't damaged myself when, you've guessed it, a lady rushed up and tried to haul me to my feet!

Gabrielle56 Sat 06-Aug-22 12:47:33

Ouch! Hope you're using a good quality helmet and gloves to spare knuckles/from ngers? Essential as death on pushbikes are so common from heads' contact with (curb) kerbs etc! Stay safe!

Barmeyoldbat Sat 06-Aug-22 12:56:37

I have also fallen off my bike and broke a rib but in my case I was just sitting on it in the garden and wobbled over. Also been knocked off by a white transit van and luckily I was wearing a helmet. No damage but I was surprised at how many swear words I knew, I just love to cycle