Gransnet forums

Chat

Room 101

(123 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 05-Aug-22 07:07:46

I m sure this has been done before but hey ho let’s do it again
What’s your Room 101?
I have a great hatred for squeezy bottles of things (tomato sauce/ mayonnaise etc) at the moment I am fighting with the latter it will not drip down but all sits ‘up in the bottom’
So the ‘thing’ is sitting upside down (as it’s made to) but the mayonnaise is sitting in the bottom which is on the top
Get your head round that
So I have to take the top off ( which is at the bottom) try and squeeze the stuff down or keep the top on and bang it or get the knife out to scrape it but then you can’t get in the corners and miss half of it
Grrrrrrr
How about you ?

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 07:13:54

Sorry to be a pedantic bore, BlueBelle but the misuse of the term Room 101 really gets on my goat!
Orwell’s Room 101 contained what you were most scared of.
In Winston Smith’s case it was rats.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 07:17:54

It probably (I hope!) annoys my old English teacher; Doctor of Literature, and presenter of the BBC’s Room 101, Frank Skinner; that he, more than anyone has caused the misuse of the term

BlueBelle Fri 05-Aug-22 07:37:32

Sorry to have annoyed you so early in the morning Fanny
I m not as well read as you and was referring to the TV programme Room 101 which I thought might give us a laugh in these gloomy tines

If I have annoyed everyone else you can always report it and get it deleted

I m off for a swim leave you all to it

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 07:43:17

Don’t be daft! Of course you don’t need to delete it! I was just chatting.
Enjoy your swim! smile

Iam64 Fri 05-Aug-22 07:46:03

Maybe the title could be what most irritates ?

I’m not scared of much but I’m with Winston Smith where rats are concerned.

What most irritates me currently is the constant references to extreme heat and drought. I’m sitting in the north west where it’s pouring with rain - again. My garden lawn is a beautiful, healthy green. I don’t mean to be flippant and I’m not denying global warming but - I long for a day when I don’t need to take a waterproof and wear wellies walking the dogs

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 07:47:23

I agree about squeezy bottles.
I’m also finding that antiperspirant aerosols are becoming increasingly unusable.
But my main bugbear at the moment (well, all year really) is my entire flipping house…

farview Fri 05-Aug-22 07:48:25

Agree Iam64....☔☔☔

Iam64 Fri 05-Aug-22 07:58:12

Hello farview - the rain just stopped, the sun appeared. I’m off with the dogs but - I’ll need wellies - whoops, too late we now have sun and a downpour

Vintagejazz Fri 05-Aug-22 08:14:08

FannyCornforth

Sorry to be a pedantic bore, BlueBelle but the misuse of the term Room 101 really gets on my goat!
Orwell’s Room 101 contained what you were most scared of.
In Winston Smith’s case it was rats.

Quite rude Fanny.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 08:16:08

Not really!
The thread is about what annoys you, and I replied!
I’m surprised that you haven’t reported me though, so thanks for that smile

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 08:20:21

I also apologised first, and called myself ‘a pedantic bore’.
And then mentioned a popular misconception.
I don’t know why that is ‘quite rude’

Vintagejazz Fri 05-Aug-22 08:23:19

Yes apologised and then were rude to the OP.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 08:24:29

I’ve just thought of one.
The word obsessed
It seems to be everywhere at the moment in ads and girly stuff.
‘We’re obsessed’, and then a picture of gel nails or a pillowcase.
Or, ‘it’s your new obsession’, and a picture of something inconsequential

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 08:24:53

Vintagejazz

How? Tell me how

Lucca Fri 05-Aug-22 08:29:29

Vintagejazz

Liz Truss for starters

Lucca Fri 05-Aug-22 08:36:57

Sorry didn’t mean to have a quote there. I was just answering the OP

Lucca Fri 05-Aug-22 08:38:27

Those Charlie Makesy “inspirational” things. So twee.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 08:50:07

Lucca

Those Charlie Makesy “inspirational” things. So twee.

I’ve had to look them up!
I agree.
I think that we could have a good go at making up our own.

Grannynannywanny Fri 05-Aug-22 08:51:54

All those “professionals” and their “hacks”. There seems to be a new one every day popping up to reveal some groundbreaking cleaning method we’ve all been using for decades ?

Grany Fri 05-Aug-22 09:06:22

I'd put the whole RF in room 101 be done with them let them work for a living instead of getting paid millions for doing very little. Lazy entitled th lot of them.

Vintagejazz Fri 05-Aug-22 09:07:34

Hotels that advertise themselves as having a swimming pool, but then have it fully booked between 10am and 5pm with swimming classes, aqua aerobic sessions etc for locals so residents can't use it.

Witzend Fri 05-Aug-22 09:16:45

I’m 100% with you on the plastic squeezy bottles, Bluebelle - dh has been firmly told never again to buy honey/ mayonnaise/anything else in plastic, when there’s a glass or metal alternative. A nice, wide-mouthed container you can easily get a spoon in.
Latest he brought home was Golden Syrup in squeezy plastic ? - it had never occurred to me that I’d have to spell out that he needed to buy a good old traditional tin.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Aug-22 09:21:57

Dermot O’Leary’s voice.
Nothing against the bloke, but I can’t understand most of what he says.
He seems to breathe in while he’s speaking. And whispers at the end of sentences.

BlueBelle Fri 05-Aug-22 09:28:18

Oh Witzened golden syrup I made the mistake of buying a golden syrup squeezy Never again I duly stood it on its end when I d used it obviously hadn’t clicked the top firmly enough until I saw it dribbling through the cupboard door
never never again
I agree about the heat thing Iam64 we normally get about one week or two if we re lucky and everyone goes on and on the country practically comes to a stop, dire warnings that
we re all about to die I can’t imagine how they manage in Greece and Spain
Never heard of Charlie Makesy now off for a Google

Here’s another Cookery programmes surely we re in overload now