Gransnet forums

Chat

Tom Daley’s tv programme

(9 Posts)
bevisp1 Wed 10-Aug-22 12:48:33

Last nights programme with Tom Daley, Illegal to be Gay…
A very good programme, bit of a eye opener, sad too, tom did a really good job with this, with gay athletes from countries where it is illegal to be gay.. anyone watch it

Kate1949 Wed 10-Aug-22 14:59:45

Yes I did. It was an eye opener and rather sad. Tom was a good presenter.

Anniebach Wed 10-Aug-22 15:04:33

Which channel please ?

Charleygirl5 Wed 10-Aug-22 15:06:49

I agree, he was very articulate and stated exactly how things are in other countries such as Pakistan. I cannot remember the exact date it changed but it is not that long ago since it was illegal in this country. We at least have moved on whereas other countries never will.

MawtheMerrier Wed 10-Aug-22 15:26:27

However, perhaps his enthusiasm has got in the way of some of the facts.
It was argued that countries once colonised by Britain retain laws that criminalise homosexuality, therefore making the colonial expansion responsible for the large number of Commonwealth countries, 35 out of 56, in which homosexuality remains a criminal offence.
But it seems if you look more closely that the persecution of homosexuals long predates European colonial expansion .
Dr Zareer Masani, a historian of the British Raj, has questioned the claims in Daley’s documentary, suggesting the story was not simply one of the British removing rights that previously existed.
He said: “I can assure him that male homosexuality in India carried penalties under Hindu and Sharia Islamic law long before the British Raj.”

I can’t fault Tom Daley’s intentions or principles, but we should not lay everything at the door of colonialism.

Kate1949 Wed 10-Aug-22 16:17:31

I think it was bbc1 Annie

Chewbacca Wed 10-Aug-22 16:26:50

I watched it on BBC iPlayer last night and was very impressed with Tom; he seems to be a genuinely caring young man. I found it particularly distressing when he spoke of his grandparents reaction to him speaking of his sexuality.

Anniebach Wed 10-Aug-22 17:22:23

Thank you Kate

Franbern Wed 10-Aug-22 19:09:30

Really excellent programme (BBC 1 - so on i-player). Although I always greatly admired his diving talent, always felt he was a rather precocious youngster. He has matured into a really nice person, a very good role model. So hard to believe that his paternal g.parents originally behaved so badly. Glad he said they have now realised how wrong was their attitude.

Not sure on his idea of stopping those countries who illegalise LGBT, from hosting the Commonwealth Games. Those countries rarely do in any case. 2014 was in UK, 2018 Gold Coast Australia, 2022 England, 2026 Australia.

I find it so bewildering this strange homophobic attitude. Back in the long distant past what we would now call gay relationships (at least male ones), were considered the most pure form of love.