Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday 12th August 2022

(43 Posts)
Michael12 Fri 12-Aug-22 05:53:28

Good Morning Everyone,
Yet another hot day is starting here in brackley today.
An early shop before it gets to hot and un comfortable to bear.
Plans to go further afield have been dropped , until its allot cooler .
Take Care,
Mick

Jaxjacky Fri 12-Aug-22 06:02:04

Good morning Mick and all who follow it’s quite lovely outside now, hot later.
Off to cricket tonight, that’ll be a warm one, bits of shopping to do early and watering.
Enjoy your day if possible, stay safe ??

ShazzaKanazza Fri 12-Aug-22 06:11:01

Good morning Mick and everyone from a foggy morning in Hull.
Up early as I need to be at sons house for 8 so he can go to work and I’ll get GS ready to come to ours.
We are intending to take him to the coast today where it’s forecast about 22 so much more pleasant.

Enjoy your day everyone if you can. Virtual hugs for those suffering illness and stress. ??

Ashcombe Fri 12-Aug-22 06:12:46

Good morning from a (going to be) hot Torbay. Yesterday our temperature hit 29 deg. which I found unbearable, causing me to leave the singing workshop early. My heart isn’t happy in the heat.

Another lovely audience last night, including my parish priest and his DD. He was delighted to encounter me in the foyer as I did my pre show warm up, dressed as a “warm-hearted lady of the night” and thought it hilarious when I asked if he’d like to buy a nice girl a drink!

My DD2, DDSiL, DGS2 and DGD are down for a few days, staying with my ex so I’m looking forward to seeing them at the theatre tonight. My DGS2 was highly amused when shown a clip from the original show on YouTube. At 12, he’s the right age to enjoy the policeman's humour!

Have a good day and keep cool! ?????

grandMattie Fri 12-Aug-22 06:15:32

Good morning from “the usual” in E Kent. Fortunately, we are on the Far Eastern coastal fringe which, although it’ll be ? hot, it shouldn’t be as hot as inland.
Had a very pleasant lunch with a couple from our old church. Their daughter, who is about the same age as DD, trained as a Priest at the same time. DD was at Cambridge and Julia at Oxford!
Today, I’m off for a walk with some lovely dog walking friends. Then briefly visiting a friend in the town after changing my library books. Finally, meeting DGS and his mum for a pub lunch. Busy day.
Hope everyone is keeping safe in this heat - remember, we are mostly “elderly”, have no idea how to behave in the heat and need all the nanny State’s advice?. Carpe diem. ????

SunshineSally Fri 12-Aug-22 06:35:27

Good morning everyone

Don’t think I got much sleep last night as it was just too hot - no air ?.

Quick dog walk before it gets too hot and then some sorting out of kitchen cupboards. Dishwasher being plumbed in today and washing machine being relocated to utility room. It’s all coming along nicely.

Later on a BBQ with DH’s old work colleagues to celebrate 50 years of being in business. I won’t know many there but I know DH is looking forward to catching up with his work colleagues. I am sure there’ll be plenty of ‘tall tales!’ ?

My glasses weren’t ready yesterday so hopefully over the weekend I can pick them up.

Have the best day you can.
Hugs and ? for everyone

cornergran Fri 12-Aug-22 06:43:41

Morning Mick, morning All from a soon to be hot corner of Somerset

34 degrees in the city snd on the way home yesterday, thank goodness for in car air conditioning. A mere 33 here smile. Mr C will need mitral valve repair or replacement at a time yet to be determined. Very reassured by the appointment and now waiting a whole host of more minor procedures. Just wish the centre of excellence wasn’t in the middle of a bustling city where I detest driving.

Today we’ll disappear to the sea front for a walk before it’s too hot and busy, I’ve some admin to do later which will be comfortable now I have the fan position perfected. This evening we’ll carry on the battle to keep our neighbours very large potted plants alive. There will also be a call from our goddaughter. Her Mum fell in hospital yesterday, there is to be an investigation into several aspects of her care. I’m so sorry for them both.

Enjoy what you can of today everyone, hope Friday is kind to us all.

Beechnut Fri 12-Aug-22 06:49:38

Good Morning everyone from Severnside. I keep looking at the forecast but it stays the same. I am enjoying pictures from the south coast on social media though of the sea and the moon.

Off to do the weekly shop early if possible and get some fuel for the car. I expect the rest of the day will be taken up with reading and some hand sewing in a cool spot outside.

Have a good day all ???

Grandmadinosaur Fri 12-Aug-22 06:54:45

Good morning all from misty East Yorkshire. The sun will break through later.

Yesterday I managed to get a last minute pedicure appointment and in the afternoon DH and I went for a refreshing drink near to the Humber bridge then did a quick food shop.

We are having GS today. Not sure I can face a trek to the coast but that’s what it probably be.

Enjoy time with GS shazza and with your family Ash

Take care everyone.

monk08 Fri 12-Aug-22 06:57:03

Good morning all from the Black country.
Today will be spent with DS and the boys, think it's a trip to Lichfield they like the park there and it may involve a ride on the pedalos, that will be my yearly cruise accounted for?.
Glad everything is going well with your show Ash and it will be lovely for you to have the family there in the audience enjoy their visit.
Enjoy your Friday everyone keep cool and may you all find some ?

Susan56 Fri 12-Aug-22 07:09:07

Good morning from Shropshire where it’s already very warm?

I am still worrying about my mum but am trying to take it one day at a time and not let the worry consume me as it was doing.

We have the grandchildren today and overnight.DH has put the tent up in the garden and the train table in the garage.We will get the paddling pool and sandpit out in the shade at some point.

Have a good day all??

Chrissielou Fri 12-Aug-22 07:12:41

Beautiful morning again, before the day becomes blisteringly hot here in Oxfordshire. DH is out with the dog before the heat becomes too much, the dog loves a swim in the river and launches himself in from the side, very funny to watch.
Another work day but DS1 is coming later for supper in the garden, I've been making sauce from our tomatoes so an easy meal to prepare. Its Friday, which is always good when you're working.

NanKate Fri 12-Aug-22 07:17:03

Good morning Mick and All.

It could get up to 34 degrees in this part of South Bucks today ?

We have to go to the dentist today and I am dreading walking from the nearby car park to the surgery, but it has to be done.

Keep as cool as you can folks.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 12-Aug-22 07:28:55

Good morning Mick and everyone, from a sunny Oxfordshire, the temp. reached 32 yesterday at 11.30, it probably went higher but by then the outdoor thermometer was in full sunshine and the reading was off the scale.

I didn’t do the baking yesterday as MzOops and family aren’t coming back until tonight, so I will start this morning, just a crumble, some fairy cakes and some Flapjack, although I’ve been tempted by another poster to make the cheese shortbread biscuits, I might as well fill the oven…..
Apart from that just sitting in the shade and another late dog walk tonight when it’s cooler, he has a heart problem so if he walks too far and too fast he starts to cough and then he can’t walk and he’s far to heavy for me to carry.
So we have a little play with the ball late evening when it’s cooler. He is so cute not he isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed, but as long as he’s fed and watered with lots of cuddles he’s happy.

Hope everyone has a good day and manages to find some shade.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 12-Aug-22 07:29:50

Sorry a stray ‘not’ popped up.

ginny Fri 12-Aug-22 07:31:32

Good morning.
Packing to do today ready for a week away with DD3 and DGSs ( 6 and 1 leaving DH to his own devices. It will be a busy week and I’ll be exhausted by the end of it but lots of fun to be had.

Take care everyone and enjoy the day.

Marydoll Fri 12-Aug-22 07:37:00

Good morning all from a sunny Glasgow, where Alexa tells me it's foggy. Like me, I fear she has lost the plot!?

Yesterday, much to my surprise, I received a letter from the well known, Swiss pharmaceutical company, who manufacture the biologics I inject.
The letter asked for permission to contact my RA consultant and have access to my medical records, due to the fact I had serious side effects and they were legally bound to report it to the UK Drugs Standards Agency.
I spent the afternoon trying to find out, who had reported it, because I was wary of filling in the form. No-one at the hospital knew anything about it. My consultant's secretary said she had never come across this before, ? I knew I was special.
However, I did find the whole thing very unsettling.
DH thought I might get a trip to Switzerland out of it, unfortunately no-one will insure me! ?

At dinnertime, I received a call from the company, who supply my injections, to warn me that I would be contacted by the manufacturer. The person I spoke to, was horrified that I had already received the paperwork, prior to giving my permission for the company to contact me.
Apparently, the supplier also had a legal obligation to report the side effects, hence the letter.
It's reassuring to know that these safeguards are in place.

Please bear with me with the following mini novella. There is a point to it, I can assure you.
Yesterday I went to pick up my much needed heart pills and decided to get petrol in Morrisons on my way home.
Its ages since I bought petrol, so was disconcerted to find new pumps had been installed.
There was a nurse at the pump beside me, who couldn't get the pump to work. She was becoming quite agitated, so I offered to help her, but couldn't get it to work either.
I said I would try mine first and then help her, but mine lso didn't work.
I went into the kiosk to ask for help, The young man said they were having problems and he would reset the pumps. Still nothing happened! Grrrrr?
Really annoyed now, I marched back in to speak to the assistant. In the kiosk were two lorry drivers and a white van man, who mistakenly thought I was a dittery old lady and proceed to offer advice on how to use a petrol pump.
WRONG MOVE! ?
I looked at them with my steely, scary, teacher face and told them that I had been driving for longer than any of them and could teach them a thing or two!!
The three of them took it very well and burst out laughing! ?

Out I went again and eventually got my pump working. As I went to help the nurse, who was becoming more anxious, because she was way behind schedule, my Blue Badge fell out of my car and under it!
I then noticed something shining on the ground, the missing earrings, I had bought weeks ago, but couldn't find!
I had stuffed them in the badge wallet for safe keeping and forgotten, I had done that. I am indeed a very silly, old lady.
The moral of the story: a good deed is always rewarded, I found my earrings!

I cannot make use of my empty today, as I need to pick up essentials, after that I shall be in the garden, pottering.
DH and DS2 are going to a whisky tasting this afternoon, thank goodness SIL isn't going. They all get on really well , but DH is easily led astray by them.
I shall worry until he is home safely.

Have a good day, folks and as always, my thoughts are with those, who are struggling. It's so difficult, sad and frustrating and often lonely, when you aren't able to do much. ?

Greyduster Fri 12-Aug-22 07:47:47

Good morning Michael and all GNs from an already warm South Yorkshire. When I got home yesterday afternoon having been away for twenty four hours, the temperature in my shut up with the blinds down conservatory was 40 degrees - like walking into a furnace! Nothing much planned. I want a slow day and a slow weekend. More painting is on the cards.
Have a good day one and all.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 12-Aug-22 07:48:42

Morning all from what promises to be another scorchio day! I was still awake at 3 am so won’t get up until 9 am. Very late for me. My daughter is arriving into Oxford by train around lunchtime. I’ll pick her up and park in the centre. She wants a quick look in Seasalt! I’m always happy to have a peek. I have planned cold chicken and salad today. OH will have to cook the chicken when I’m out. Hopefully I’ll hear from the pharmacist that my medication is ready for collection. I run out of one of them on Sunday. Also, I heard that my Summer Exhibition print, which I’ve had framed, is ready for collection. If it’s really, really hot I’ll wait until next week to collect it.

Gingster Fri 12-Aug-22 07:51:00

Good morning all and I’m just back from walking little pooch and it was shady and cool. Heaven!

Yesterday eldest gd and I had a very pleasant afternoon painting pottery pieces at Clay Cottage. What a delightful place! Air conditioned , light and airy. You can even have afternoon tea there along with making/painting , glazing and firing your pieces. We’ll certainly go again!

Today we’ll meet up with our Friday friends for lunch and sit out on the patio in the shade. In the winter months, we huddle around the big log fire with blankets round us.

Take care in this heat Ash
Enjoy your busy day GM

Take care everyone ?

BlueSapphire Fri 12-Aug-22 07:53:55

Good morning everyone from a bright and sunny ? Northampton. Not much on the cards today, a morning of pottering, may wash the kitchen floor, and then find my small shady spot in the garden to read this afternoon. Finished another book yesterday.

Got my long dresses out yesterday, a quick try on to make sure they still fit, then gave them a quick delicates wash; they were dry in less than half an hour.

Also phoned the newsagent to cancel my papers, and spoke to a neighbour about keeping an eye on the house while I am away. He normally does this for me, for which I am very grateful. I need to drop a spare set of keys over to him, and also the new code for my alarm system in case it should go off and he needs to investigate.

DS also pops by occasionally to put the post through, but at the moment he and family are over in Sweden visiting his partner's family. It's lovely for my DGDs to be with their Swedish cousins (who speak English well). And hopefully they (DGDs) will pick up more Swedish!

Hope we all manage to find a bit of shade today, and have a restful Friday.

Pittcity Fri 12-Aug-22 08:04:29

Good morning from sunny Colchester. Yet another 30+ day. Sitting in the cool garden for breakfast but will soon need to move inside with the fan.
DS crept in at dawn after a late shift so won't surface until the afternoon. DH is off on a Duke of Edinburgh expedition for a few days.
Laundry is today's only exertion for me. Yes Bluesapphire dry in no time.
Keep cool and love to all ? x

hollysteers Fri 12-Aug-22 08:05:21

Good morning Mick and all from Sunnyside northwest coast.
‘Dress rehearsal’ for gig next week. Would prefer to maybe pop into the sand dunes with a book or just sit in the garden…
Will drop some jumble at charity shop, try not to buy anything and buy some food.
Nice FaceTime yesterday with DD in the south and watched an entertaining film noir film with Alan Ladd last night.
Have a good day and thoughts to all with worries.

harrigran Fri 12-Aug-22 08:07:50

Good morning from a sunny NE.
Another night of sleeping with the Dyson on, did the job nicely, slept like a log.
DS and GDs came at lunchtime yesterday and we went off to the seaside to get some sea air and cooling breeze.
My appointment arrived for CT scan, it is next Thursday.
Nothing much planned for today.
Have a good day all.

Urmstongran Fri 12-Aug-22 08:10:04

Here’s Matt.

Good morning everyone from Malaga where it’s very warm already. Bit humid to be honest. The Mediterranean isn’t even visible, it has melded with the wash of the sky.

Gardens till lunch, pool play with the grandchildren who are living their best life, cafe con leche at the garden bar whilst the Boy Wonder has a game of pool with his dad. L’il Miss has a playmate. A pool surrounded by grass is just perfect for these two. What kids don’t like jumping in to have fun?

At lunchtime grandad takes them into Juan’s downstairs (their special time) so today I’m going to stroll with our daughter and son in law towards Arroyo de la Miel, peeling off to head to La Taperia. It’s owned by one of Juan’s brothers. If we ever mention we’ve been, Juan brings a strip of Rennie’s to the table! Daughter & son in law have never been in all these years and are looking forward to the delicious and slightly different tapas there for their lunch. Hmm. I shall have to wear a proper dress!
?