Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this a thing now in impoverished Britain

(139 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Fri 12-Aug-22 11:31:11

I’m sitting on my patio just thinking about how dull the slabs are.
The Times has come to my rescue. Outdoor rugs!! Who knew they were a thing? The one I like is only £640.78. I don’t think it’s big enough though, I’ll have to have 2.

JaneJudge Fri 12-Aug-22 11:32:55

They are £25 in most shops, like wilkos smile I just think it's another thing to clean though

Caleo Fri 12-Aug-22 11:35:04

This may be useful for preventing falls on hard concrete during frosty weather. What do you think?

PamelaJ1 Fri 12-Aug-22 11:37:29

Wouldn’t one that cost £25 be more of an outside doormat? To wipe your feet on, I mean, before going into the house.

nandad Fri 12-Aug-22 11:40:47

Caleo

This may be useful for preventing falls on hard concrete during frosty weather. What do you think?

I think they become quite slippery when they get damp, so might cause more falls.

FlexibleFriend Fri 12-Aug-22 11:42:23

I thought they were like the old fashioned woven plastic rugs people used to have in their kitchens when I was a kid so 600 and odd quid sounds extortionate to me.

Caleo Fri 12-Aug-22 11:43:03

Nandad, I had hoped the rugs might be made of that rubbery stuff they use on kids' playgrounds, may be with addition of roughened surfaces.

Shirley48 Fri 12-Aug-22 11:46:36

JaneJudge

They are £25 in most shops, like wilkos smile I just think it's another thing to clean though

You could just hose it down….

Caleo Fri 12-Aug-22 11:47:17

Flexible Friend! I like these mats! Dandycord was it?.They were completely washable, dried easily, and crumbs fell through the holes so all you needed to do was lift them and sweep underneath when you felt like it.

Shirley48 Fri 12-Aug-22 11:47:57

www.dunelm.com/product/ziri-berber-indoor-outdoor-rug-1000194827?defaultSkuId=30749379&ds_c=Rugs_Rugs-SmartShopping_%5BGOO-PLA-RUGS-RUGS%5D&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4aim_Y_B-QIVBe3tCh3b5AbnEAQYAiABEgJHjfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

PamelaJ1 Fri 12-Aug-22 11:50:05

Thought I’d send a photo

nadateturbe Fri 12-Aug-22 11:51:31

Some people are starving and others are buying £640 rugs for outdoors. Lol.

PamelaJ1 Fri 12-Aug-22 11:57:02

nadateturbe

Some people are starving and others are buying £640 rugs for outdoors. Lol.

Truly mindbogling

GrannyGravy13 Fri 12-Aug-22 12:01:19

Outdoor rugs are a necessary evil if you have composite decking as it gets so very hot in this weather and as many places now have hosepipe bans it’s not possible to cool them down with water.

They look stylish in outdoor seating/dining areas.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Aug-22 12:03:44

GrannyGravy13

Outdoor rugs are a necessary evil if you have composite decking as it gets so very hot in this weather and as many places now have hosepipe bans it’s not possible to cool them down with water.

??.

Something you never realised you needed until someone convinced you that you did.

Callistemon21 Fri 12-Aug-22 12:05:45

Another tripping hazard and one more thing to clean.

Whatever next!

Shirley48 Fri 12-Aug-22 12:06:13

PamelaJ1

Thought I’d send a photo

Perhaps my eyesight’s going, but none of those cost £640?

Callistemon21 Fri 12-Aug-22 12:07:15

GrannyGravy13

I don't think my indoor seating/dining areas look very stylish either, GrannyGravy!

I would like some stylish patio slabs, though.

AcornFairy Fri 12-Aug-22 12:08:51

Is this a wind-up? Some/a lot of us are more concerned about how we are going to pay energy bills and buy food!

M0nica Fri 12-Aug-22 12:14:08

Since we are not all on exactly the same income some people will be able to afford optional luxuries that others cannot.

The same person who indulges in such 'luxuries' may also be a generous donor to their local food bank and work hardin other ways to reduce inequalities in society. Outdoor rugs are truly a dispensible luxury, no one is going to die or even become ill if they do not have one, so why shouldn't those who want and can afford them, not have them without other people being outraged?

BlueBelle Fri 12-Aug-22 12:14:23

Why oh why ?? I agree nadateturbe it’s disturbing isn’t it

GrannyGravy13 Fri 12-Aug-22 12:15:37

Callistemon21

GrannyGravy13

I don't think my indoor seating/dining areas look very stylish either, GrannyGravy!

I would like some stylish patio slabs, though.

Mine is dreadful at the moment, we are awaiting a date from builders for major works to commence (second time in four years) so the decking around the house is about to be removed it is a health/trip hazard along with being home to several family of foxes.

(Have recently lost small GC under it which they thought was hilarious, fortunately so did AS and his wife)

Grantanow Fri 12-Aug-22 12:16:35

Not a wind up, I think. It's simply a fact of life that the rich buy things the rest of us can't afford while we contemplate our food and energy bills. Like Sunak's swimming pool.

Doodledog Fri 12-Aug-22 12:18:27

My daughter has one for the dog, as the slabs outside heat up and he'd burn his paws without it. I haven't asked her what she paid for it, but I'm guessing it will be closer to £40 than £640.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 12-Aug-22 12:18:31

M0nica

Since we are not all on exactly the same income some people will be able to afford optional luxuries that others cannot.

The same person who indulges in such 'luxuries' may also be a generous donor to their local food bank and work hardin other ways to reduce inequalities in society. Outdoor rugs are truly a dispensible luxury, no one is going to die or even become ill if they do not have one, so why shouldn't those who want and can afford them, not have them without other people being outraged?

I have a feeling that over the coming months that anyone posting about purchases/holidays/dining out/building & decorating will be swiftly reminded that many cannot afford to eat or heat.