Gransnet forums

Chat

Sod’s Law with a vengeance! (Rain!)

(11 Posts)
Witzend Sat 13-Aug-22 14:35:55

Dd and family left yesterday for a holiday in Croatia, where they’re joining Croatian friends on a catamaran skippered by a relative.

Absolutely chucking it down on the way to the marina this morning! I’d post a pic, but she only sent a little vid.

As dh said, ‘Send some here!’ Everywhere is parched in our neck of the woods, ditto in theirs, for many weeks now.

I dare say Croatia is glad of the rain, though.

TwiceAsNice Sat 13-Aug-22 14:40:59

It’s been boiling in the SE where I live this week. We are all in Turkey on holiday and it’s even more boiling! Tomorrow we fly home and next week it’s forecasting rain several days . DD1 and 2 are taking two granddaughters and two school friends camping , sods law indeed that the weather will be unsettled at best, and awful at worst. Thank goodness it won’t be me in a tent!

Charleygirl5 Sat 13-Aug-22 14:42:44

I cannot wait for Monday when rain is supposed to hit London. I will never complain again if it rains for a month. We have not seen a drop here for well over 3 weeks. I am easily pleased.

MerylStreep Sat 13-Aug-22 14:49:22

This festival is a walk away from me but I just can’t make it in this heat ?jhttp://www.vtelevision.co.uk/eastbeach/

lemsip Sat 13-Aug-22 15:14:21

this heat saps your energy even while topping up liquids.

rain forecast next week thankfully

Baggytrazzas Sat 13-Aug-22 15:17:28

Well, best prepare for flash floods then in some areas, if it is heavy. The balance never seems to be just right. Sods Law right enough.

Teacheranne Sat 13-Aug-22 17:05:17

Also be aware of slippery roads when it first rains from all the oil on it after the heat.

Witzend Sat 13-Aug-22 17:37:28

Charleygirl5

I cannot wait for Monday when rain is supposed to hit London. I will never complain again if it rains for a month. We have not seen a drop here for well over 3 weeks. I am easily pleased.

Me too. After 13 years in Middle Eastern deserts I’ve never minded rain - and on the the two occasions we’ve visited Australia, it’s been in the grip of serious drought.

To me it’s scary when it just - doesn’t - rain.

cornergran Sat 13-Aug-22 20:26:26

Please keep the rain in London on Monday. We’re due to take a very excited 7year old for his promised outing to the SS Great Britain. An early start, motorways, the ups and downs of the vessel followed by a trudge around a harbour side all in pouring rain or (please no) a storm will not please any of us. The little lad has autism and will have a very clear expectation of the day - it won’t incline rain.

lixy Sat 13-Aug-22 20:33:17

Friends have just set off for a week camping in Cornwall - here's hoping they manage to hang on to the tent!

cornergran I hope you all have a lovely day.

Nanna58 Sat 13-Aug-22 20:39:35

Best of luck cornergran ; my lovely boy has Autism too so I know how important things going to plan is x