Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday 14th August 2022

(46 Posts)
Michael12 Sun 14-Aug-22 05:53:46

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dry ,cloudless this morning for a start of another hot day here in brackley this morning.
I hope the weather breaks and we get some much needed rain plus fresher air .
I plan to be watching Euro cycling from Munich on Eurosport , what is interesting as to the coverage as events are covered by BBBC as well , the BBC broadcast is 90 seconds behind Eurosport when show live .
Take Care,
Mick

Pantglas2 Sun 14-Aug-22 06:09:53

Good morning Mick and all who follow from a very noisy north ??????? where seagulls, magpies and crows are having a party - their squawking has woken me up only to find that the milk has gone orf…?‍♀️ No chamberpot ☕️ for me this morning ?

Lovely to see you posting again Susan56 ? I used to suffer with nosebleeds as a child but they lessened and stopped late teens, I found them quite ?

Miss Marydoll you’re a norty gurl trying to tempt me into TKMaxx before my ‘olidays….? ( I’ll let you into a secret ? I’m awaiting delivery of some capri pants from M&S, £25 Down to £11…?)

Popping to see dad before a quick whizz under the shears at my friend’s this afternoon and home to a prawn Thai red curry ? later?

A peaceful Sunday to you all x.

grandMattie Sun 14-Aug-22 06:23:28

Good morning from E Kent. ATM it’s a pleasant 18C or so, but it’ll soon morph pinto 31+C before the end of the morning. It really gets me down.
Pottered yesterday. Did a bit of patchwork planning, I’ve got the blocks sorted; I like to try and use as many different fabrics as I can, no repeated patterns.
Early service, then retreat into the shade for the next 24 hours…
Carpe diem, dear friends. ????❤️

Susan56 Sun 14-Aug-22 06:40:12

Good morning from another warm start in Shropshire?

Thank you Pants.M seems to take the nosebleeds in her stride at the moment but I don’t think she’ll be happy if they start happening at school.She doesn’t like to stand out!

We are going over to see my mum today and taking her out to lunch?and then we will drive a long way home via the Wirral hoping for a bit of a sea breeze.Will leave a ?? for our crumpet queen.

The quilt is beautiful Mattie.

Have a good day all??

Shinamae Sun 14-Aug-22 06:53:14

Good morning from a cool North Devon
I don’t usually participate in this thread but I’ve had a very restless night due to the heat. Roll on winter! I always have preferred winter and remember the hot summer of ‘76 but it was nowhere near as hot as this, you can actually feel the Sun burning you after very little time…

Beechnut Sun 14-Aug-22 06:57:38

Good Morning everyone from sunny Severnside.

I shall be doing much the same as yesterday. Tidying up under my trees at the top of the garden before the sun comes up high. I’ll have a shower and settle with more hand sewing and reading, maybe some pottering. I had to take out some of my sewing yesterday. I realised I’d done it the wrong way round. Luckily it was only just over an inch. I stayed outside until it started to cool off.

Something with salad to eat later. Lovely to see your quilting again Mattie.

Stay cool all and have a good day whatever you do ???

cornergran Sun 14-Aug-22 07:00:49

Morning Mick, morning All from a hazy corner of Somerset.

Another hot one forecast. Storms tomorrow. Family are here later, thank goodness for some garden shade. No sea front today as it will be oh so busy by the time they get here. Enjoyed yesterdays visit, remembered a towel so paddling just had to be done.

Your quilts are always beautiful grandmattie. Shame about the milk pant. Hope not the same here, Mr C is just off to the kettle.

Hope Sunday is kind to us all.

Spice101 Sun 14-Aug-22 07:02:54

Another, that like Shinamae, doesn't post on this thread.

I'll happily swap you folks some of our Melbourne (Australia) winter for some of your summer weather. Cold, wet and grey here as it has been for what seems months with just an occasional half decent day thrown in.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Sar53 Sun 14-Aug-22 07:03:10

Good morning everyone from an already warm Essex by the sea.
The festival here was very well attended and very loud, OK if you like reggae music but everyone had gone by 10 and quiet descended. We have it all again today.
I had a wander along there a couple of times yesterday and there were lots of families sitting on the grass (dried up ground) with their picnics. It was very hot and I expect many overcooked people today.
I may start the huge pile of ironing before it gets too hot ?.
Enjoy Sunday everyone and stay safe in the sun ? xx

grandMattie Sun 14-Aug-22 07:06:10

Please send some over, Spice101, I for one would love to have RAIN and cooler weather. We haven’t had a drop of water since about March, it’s like the Sahara here…

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 14-Aug-22 07:06:28

Morning all from West Oxfordshire. Beautiful quilt GM. I haven’t done patchwork in years and I used to enjoy it. Today promises to be another scorchio so I expect I’ll be staying inside! I went out early yesterday to collect my print before it got too hot. It’s now hanging on my bedroom wall. Daughter goes back to London this afternoon so lunch will be our main meal.

Pittcity Sun 14-Aug-22 07:15:55

Good morning from...you've guessed it...sunny Colchester. Another 32° one today.
Had a lovely, if sweltering, day with family yesterday and am planning a quiet one today. No Sunday roast as I have an empty with DH away. DS will pop in to pick up his stuff before he drives back to work later.
I've just looked at the forecast and the promised rain has moved from tomorrow until Wednesday. The temperature should drop a little though.
Love to all ? x

BlueBalou Sun 14-Aug-22 07:19:50

Good morning everyone from a baked Wiltshire.
Beautiful sunrise this morning, DDog and I enjoy our walks first thing, she meets a number of other dogs to run around with whilst I have made new friends and enjoy a chat with their owners.
I will do more of my embroidery today and listen to another audiobook.
Enjoy your day everyone x

Blossoming Sun 14-Aug-22 07:22:33

Good morning Mick and everyone. It’s another sunny morning in this corner of Lancashire, currently 18°C.

Yesterday I did very little other than my cycling and Gaelic studies. Today will be much the same.

Your quilts are always beautiful Grandmattie and sure to be treasured.

Have the best day possible all ???

Grandmadinosaur Sun 14-Aug-22 07:24:10

Good morning from East Yorkshire. 27 degrees in our bedroom it says on the fan. Despite that I had a good nights sleep.

A quiet day for us yesterday. Pottered in the morning then lunch at M&S cafe where it is always cool. I had a mooch in the nearby Next and saw a dress I really liked. I vary between a couple of sizes at the moment and they only had it in 1 of them. It fit me like a dream and I love it. I have a special day coming up this week so perfect for that and also maybe GD’s christening later in the year although it is blue and I did want to have something pink for that.
After that I fancied an ice cream at the foreshore so drove there to find he wasn’t there. Oh no! Maybe he’d sold out! Could have been at a function. Had to go home and have another magnum from the freezer.

Today will be another quiet day trying to keep cool and a nice easy salad lunch.

Take care, stay cool.

Jaxjacky Sun 14-Aug-22 07:31:20

Good morning from Costa del S Hants, the weather is rather Groundhog Day ?.
Lovely delicate colours grandMattie, very pretty.
Morning Shinamaeand Spice101, I’ll swop with you Spice!
That’s a bummer pant no milk ?
Won’t be much going on here today, watering the greenhouse in a minute, trip to the farm shop and later I’ll put a whole gammon in the slow cooker.
Have a good day all ??

Ashcombe Sun 14-Aug-22 07:36:52

Good morning from a sunny Torbay with very little breeze which was welcome yesterday.

I imagine quilting must be therapeutic, grandMattie. Your designs are certainly beautiful.

Church then lunch with my family at a restaurant called Three Degrees West on Oddicombe beach, which involves a ride on the funicular down the steep cliff.

Thank you, Marydoll for the info about the ‘Allo, ‘Allo programme on C5 which I’ve shared with the cast. We hope to see it on My5.

Have a blessed Sunday and I hope you can keep cool. ?????

Marydoll Sun 14-Aug-22 07:48:42

Good morning all from Glasgow, where its 14°C. We have thunderstorms forecast, so my first task is to get the washing on early.
I have woken up with no voice and a very painful throat and oesophagus. That blooming fungal infection seems to have returned with a vengeance, now that I have finished the tablets.
Probiotis, do nothing to relieve it, so a phone call to my GP will be on the cards tomorrow. ?
It's agony when I cough (and I'm coughing for Scotland!)

I have no plans today, apart from considering dyeing a linen jacket. It was supposed to be black, but is more of an anthracite grey. I really like it, so don't want to send it back.
Our local DIY store sells Dylan dyes, so I may venture up to get some.
Apart from that, not much on, apart from cooking chicken in the Ninja, steamed first, then air fried, stuffed with herbs from the garden, Its usually delicious. Salad from the garden will complete the meal. #grow your own!

Enjoy your day folks, whatever your plans.
Dragonfly, I hope the celebrations went well.

Gingster Sun 14-Aug-22 07:52:06

Good morning all and ‘oh no,Pittcity I was so looking forward to the rain tomorrow! ?

That quilt is going to be beautiful GM

Sar where is the festival being held? I bet it’s busy up your end!

Yesterday was a nice relaxed day with DD and little gd. Dh was at a footie match, so we could chat away without him saying ‘what /who/when/where??? ??. DGD amused herself with making things and creating games She’s a good girl who has a great imagination. She made masks and we were given our parts to play. . A nice indoor day keeping out of that heat!

This morning Db and SIL are coming for coffee or an iced drink. They are good company and we should have a giggle or two.

Blue you haven given me an idea with my book club book, which is tedious. (as per). I’ll listen to it with audio. Don’t usually do that but I’ll give it a go. ?.

Enjoy Sunday everyone and keep cool. ?

brook2704 Sun 14-Aug-22 08:07:54

Good morning everyone from Inverness where we’ve the sea haar that’s rolled in again but it’s clearing fast. Yesterday was the same, it cleared by about 9am then rolled back in about 6pm, it’s quite eerie to see and fascinating
Welcome to shinamae and spice ?
Just had a lovely photo from DD1 they’re all on the plane and just about to set off to Corfu for the week - more hot weather but at least they’ll have the pool to jump into
Another day in the garden I think, DH bought just a few new plants yesterday so I’ll get those in and mow the lawn before the rain arrives later. We still have grass left here and it’s green, not like most of England I expect!
Hope you feel a bit better soon marydoll
Enjoy your lunch with the family Ash I remember Oddicombe beach -and the climb back up!
Hope everyone finds something to enjoy today and take care all whatever the day brings ?

PollyDolly Sun 14-Aug-22 08:08:25

Good morning from a very warm and dry East Midlands. I don't often drop into the "Good. Morning " thread, although I am glad I did this morning otherwise I would have missed grandMatties lovely patchwork piece.

There is no breeze at all this morning, we have no rain for so long everyones lawns are parched, apart from those dreadful artificial ones.

My water butts are very low and despite regular watering the beans and most other produce have suffered badly, a poor yield this year. I hear rain is forecast for Monday and Tuesday though.

Have a good day everyone, special thoughts to anyone feeling unwell.

Greyduster Sun 14-Aug-22 08:11:23

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from an already very warm South Yorkshire. I thought I heard a rumble of thunder last night but with a huge moon in a clear sky it must have been wishful thinking! I wasn’t planning to do much today except hide from the heat and read, but it appears we are having a barbecue. In my garden. “But you don’t have to do anything, Nanny!” hmm. Oh, that’s ok then. There is no shade in my garden in the afternoon and the conservatory will be as hot as Hades. Should be fun! Better get the ice trays topped up!
What ever you are doing today, hope you keep cool!

ginny Sun 14-Aug-22 08:11:44

Good morning. Up early with the boys and off to the beach for a few hours before it gets too hot.
Wishing all a good day.

Urmstongran Sun 14-Aug-22 08:17:01

Here’s Matt.

Good morning everyone from Malaga where we have another gorgeous sunny day in front of us. Gardens/pool play/cafe con leche with the grandchildren for us whilst their parents go out for a stroll and coffee outside before it gets too hot!

Rangers won 4-0 yesterday. His friends said Himself really is a lucky mascot! I think he’s switched allegiances from Man. Utd who lost 4-0 and are pretty dire (still) even with their new manager.

Enjoy Sunday all who can. x

EkwaNimitee Sun 14-Aug-22 08:25:39

Good morning Mick and everyone from hot sunny Carlisle. There's actually a pleasant cooling breeze at the moment but it's not penetrating my upper storey even though the windows are wide open...though soon to be shut tight as the temperature is climbing steadily. It hit 31C yesterday.
I popped out early to the local butcher and then up to Sainsbury's. On passing through one village I found the yearly country show was on. I'd have gone in other circumstances but it would have been far to hot for me to be outside plus I am prepping for DiL's visit and my holidays. All very much interspersed with skulking behind my closed blinds reading the papers and praying for cooler times.
Not much is planned for today, it will be much the same as yesterday except I'm not going out apart from collecting DiL from the station this evening.
Have the best possible day everyone.