Gransnet forums

Chat

Elvis died 45 years ago today…

(92 Posts)
Shinamae Tue 16-Aug-22 14:26:08

I remember it well, I was working at Butlins Minehead. It was such a shock…

Kate1949 Tue 16-Aug-22 14:29:36

Oh yes he did didn't he? Gorgeous man.

Georgesgran Tue 16-Aug-22 14:38:24

DD2 (39) says he was indecently beautiful when younger. I know what she means. Always preferred him to UK Cliff.

Blossoming Tue 16-Aug-22 14:39:56

Never a fan, bit before my time.

Kate1949 Tue 16-Aug-22 14:41:32

Before my time too really but I saw sense eventually!

avitorl Tue 16-Aug-22 14:45:04

I loved him,his music and his looks.I still feel emotional when I hear his music or see a film of him.

Hellogirl1 Tue 16-Aug-22 14:52:13

Loved him, it`s hard to believe he`s been dead for longer than he lived.

kittylester Tue 16-Aug-22 14:57:03

We were on a beach in the South of France and opened the English papers we had bought. It was a complete shock to us and the dozens of Brits who came to read our paper.

Chestnut Tue 16-Aug-22 15:09:35

An interesting theory here, that Elvis inherited a faulty gene from his mother. She died at 46 and Elvis died at 42 so it's quite possible and shouldn't be dismissed.

Elvis inherited a faulty gene

merlotgran Tue 16-Aug-22 15:11:59

DH was an Elvis fan and heard the news on the kitchen radio. He yelled up the stairs, ‘Oh No! The King’s dead!’

I thought, What’s he on about? The king’s been dead since 1952!’

It wasn’t a shock though as there’d been lots of reports about Elvis’s declining health and his appearance was alarming.

Sad he died so young.

Calendargirl Tue 16-Aug-22 15:14:52

Indecently beautiful

Absolutely.

Elsewhere we have been discussing if Rod Stewart is ‘good looking’.

No contest.

Elvis was sex on legs in his prime.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-Aug-22 15:18:00

I liked his voice but was never keen on him.

merlotgran Tue 16-Aug-22 15:21:23

Chestnut

An interesting theory here, that Elvis inherited a faulty gene from his mother. She died at 46 and Elvis died at 42 so it's quite possible and shouldn't be dismissed.

I can’t help thinking of ‘Duelling Banjos’ from Deliverance as I’m reading this. 😂

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 16-Aug-22 15:21:40

I wasn’t a fan but remember reading about his death. We were living in Seychelles at the time and one of our friends was devastated when she heard the news.

Lauren59 Tue 16-Aug-22 15:22:43

Chestnut

Quite an interesting read, Chestnut. Thank you for sharing the link.

Smileless2012 Tue 16-Aug-22 15:32:35

I thought his untimely death was due to substance abuse.

BlueBelle Tue 16-Aug-22 15:35:23

I still beLieve he’s the most handsome man I ve ever seen

I have always believed Elvis died with a genetic defect
as his mum died very similarly as you suggested Chestnut

There simply has never been any man who could compete
Even when he put weight on I still found him immensely attractive I don’t think he had an easy ride being famous

Kate1949 Tue 16-Aug-22 15:38:53

Yes BlueBelle Exceptionally handsome. I saw a picture of him once with the caption 'Elvis looking more handsome than ten movie stars'.

icanhandthemback Tue 16-Aug-22 15:40:20

Surely it isn't incest if they were first cousins who married? Incest is for much closer relationships although somehow marrying your cousin is always frowned upon even though it is not illegal.

I remember the day Elvis died. It was a complete shock to me. I was 16 and remember crying it was such a shock. I haven't cried for any celebrity dying since.

Funnily enough, I have just set up a playlist to listen to Elvis in the car. As Avenged SevenFold (a Progressive Metal Band) is my other go to car music, it makes a significant change.

BlueBelle Tue 16-Aug-22 15:46:12

Icanhandthemback I was much older than you but just like you it is the only celeb I ve ever cried over when he died I thought he must have been so alone and lost when he died

Chestnut Tue 16-Aug-22 15:58:30

The mention of incest is just the Daily Mail being dramatic to grab your attention. First cousins marrying is not really incest, and not illegal. They often marry with no problems, but if there was a faulty gene involved then the close relationship might be relevant.
Smileless2012 Substance abuse was definitely involved, but as the article says, why was he taking all these substances? It's altogether a complex story and no-one knows everything.

icanhandthemback Tue 16-Aug-22 16:04:09

BlueBelle

Icanhandthemback I was much older than you but just like you it is the only celeb I ve ever cried over when he died I thought he must have been so alone and lost when he died

Have you seen the recent film, Elvis? It backed up that thought that he must have been alone and lost. The sad fact is that he was badly exploited. He was quite a simple boy who handed over is management to a shyster and his finances to his father who didn't have the wherewithal to cope with it. His is such a tragic story.

Chestnut Tue 16-Aug-22 16:06:27

Who wants to see a young Elvis when he just bought Graceland?

Chestnut Tue 16-Aug-22 16:07:37

Who wants to see a naughty Elvis? Strap yourselves in.

Smileless2012 Tue 16-Aug-22 16:08:34

I wonder if his there's any possibility that this gene was passed onto his D.

He was badly exploited I agree icanhandthemback, churning out one film after another none of which did credit to his talentsad.