Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday 20th August 2022

(48 Posts)
Michael12 Sat 20-Aug-22 05:50:02

Good Morning Everyone,
A grey but clear start here in brackley this morning , as its the weekend its a full day today .
I hope to get the bus to Buckingham and go to Bicester , that way to see the changing landscape thanks to HS2 .
Go to my favourite cafe,have a coffee and a breakfast bap , small shop , to return home by bus direct .
I will then watch the Vuelta cycle race on TV , and have Chinese Take Away .
Take Care,
Mick

BlueBalou Sat 20-Aug-22 05:55:55

Good morning Mick, I haven’t looked outside yet but hopefully it will be a dry start so DDog and I don’t get wet on our walk.
My lovely neighbour has given me homemade plum jam so I will make a batch of scones and take some round to her this morning.
Then back to thinning out my crafts stash, I really need to reduce it by at least 25% I think. I have already rehome my jewellery making stuff and 2 big bags of yarn.
I have ordered a nice storage cupboard online so then I can rehome the chest of drawers and make more room.
I’m getting there!
Have a lovely weekend everyone x

Pantglas2 Sat 20-Aug-22 06:07:10

Buen dia Mick from Vuelta country ?? where I’m enjoying a Spanish chamberpot ☕️ for a change ?

Washing is on, using cheap weekend leccy, but it’s still dark and I can hear workers and ? walkers passing by.

Belated congrats on your wedding anniversary ?grandmadinosaur - hope you’ve enjoyed your Welsh break - I love it when people visit my homeland?

A night of live music ? at our favourite bar this evening then a visit to Antequera Feria Sunday morning and a friend’s 75th birthday ? celebrations tomorrow evening means I’ll be todo knackerado after this weekend ?‍♀️

Hope those with challenges have a better day and worries for others abate ?

BlueSapphire Sat 20-Aug-22 06:10:13

Good morning everyone from La Rochelle, where we are just about to dock. The forecast is good today, fine and sunny, which is a nice change from yesterday, when we had heavy rain for much of the day.

Went to two port talks yesterday for La Rochelle and Bordeaux and am looking forward to the tour of Last Rochelle this morning. This afternoon will probably do my mile around the open decks, then find a good spot to enjoy the sunshine and read.

So must get showered and dressed then breakfast; wondering what to have from the vast range on offer.

Have a pleasant Saturday everyone.

Gala Sat 20-Aug-22 06:34:06

Good morning from a dull but dry Sefton. I confess to being a lurker who rarely posts on any forum, other people's lives & opinions being a lot more interesting than mine own.But I had to comment on Nannagarra's photo of yesterday which I recognised immediately as the van belonging to our 'go to' odd job man. It's a small world.

Now that I've 'dipped a toe' into this forum I might be brave enough to return.

Pantglas2 Sat 20-Aug-22 06:43:35

? hello Gala and welcome to the bestest thread (along with Soop’s kitchen) on GN?

Please don’t worry about not having anything interesting to post, it’s not a competition and I simply enjoy reading what folks are up to day by day?

Jaxjacky Sat 20-Aug-22 06:43:51

Morning all and welcome Gala.
It’s clear skies and sun in S Hampshire, newspaper day and an Asda delivery as Tesco let us down, along with others, yesterday.
Played bowls last night, pleasant weather, far better than a week ago.
Enjoy your day all ??

ginny Sat 20-Aug-22 06:45:35

Good morning everyone.
After a lovely and busy week away we are travelling home today. Hoping the traffic will no be too bad.
I’ve got that sort of happy tired feeling. It has been fun with DD3 and the two boys but full on and it will be nice to have a few quiet days.

Wishing all a good day , thoughts with those who have worries or illness to deal with.

grandMattie Sat 20-Aug-22 06:49:36

Good morning from a bright, sunny E Kent. We had about 2mm of rain yesterday afternoon. It must have drizzled for all of 15 minutes!
Blue, where do you re-home your craft stuff? I need to get rid of about 80% of mine.
The fan workshop went well, but I’d forgotten how tiring 4 hours of concentration were. Basically, we just assembled the fan, gluing the paper to the ribs. Fairly easy, but the other student (there were only two of us) was very cackhanded and slow. On the other hand, I think I ‘get’ things quickly and am fairly skilled with my hands.
Just changing my library books today, and possibly dropping in on a friend.
Carpe diem. ❤️????

cornergran Sat 20-Aug-22 06:51:31

Morning Mick, morning All. Sky brightening over our corner of Somerset. Windy out there.

Long distance support is getting me down now, sadly our friend is deteriorating in hospital. I’ve an uneasy feeling.

Today I really must finish the financial admin I began on Wednesday. I tried yesterday morning and got into a right pickle, several interruptions not helping, gave up in the end. The good news is my new hairdresser listened, hair slightly different as I had asked. Not quite right but definitely worth returning. She wouldn’t have been pleased with the state of my head after an afternoon walk along our very windy sea front. Oops.

Welcome gala, do return. Enjoy your day in the sunshine bluesapphire and your bus trip mick.

Thinking of everyone finding life hard going, hope Saturday is kind to us all.

Kalu Sat 20-Aug-22 07:03:37

Good morning all from a stormy start to the day in Glasgow, just hoping it abates later on as I must do a Waitrose shop which I put off doing yesterday and I have prescriptions to collect. I would much rather be having a coory down day with my book but needs must.

I am mixing up seasons as I had a thorough spring clean of the garage yesterday with the help of DD1, booked a slot at the recycling centre and we celebrated with a coffee stop for a job well done.

I would love to be in La Rochelle today BlueSapphire but more so in Bordeaux where I was an au pair in 1968. The city had changed so much when I visited again in the 80’s, nearby, Arcachon Bay has a beautiful beach. Bon déjeuner.

Best wishes to all for a pleasant day.

glammagran Sat 20-Aug-22 07:08:42

We had a little rain and gusty winds in Dubrovnik yesterday afternoon but it was just as hot. The city was heaving so we got the tender back to the ship. Ashcombe we are on the Spirit of Adventure so no under 50’s. I will skip breakfast today as a fortnight of overeating has killed my appetite. Later we will open the bottle of Nyetimber we brought with us to celebrate our Ruby wedding anniversary. It is also my son’s birthday today so will send greetings to him.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 20-Aug-22 07:16:09

Morning all from West Oxfordshire. I will be doing my fortnightly stint at a nearby interesting house later this morning. I won’t be home until after 5 pm. Hope everyone has a good day.

Jaxjacky Sat 20-Aug-22 07:18:17

Happy Anniversary glammagran ??

Urmstongran Sat 20-Aug-22 07:20:25

Here’s Matt.

Good morning everyone from Malaga where the sun’s up. Hi Pants! You’ll be partying & I’ll be cleaning today. Unusual for me I know, but needs must. Sheets, pillowcases and towels to be laundered this morning. A general sort out necessary.

The FoF (family of four) set off to the airport in an hour. We shall miss them but relish the more relaxed pace now we’re on our own. Not going out to eat for a while (which, to be honest, I’m looking forward to after two weeks of picking up a menu). Pasta and a bottle of El Coto on our balcony tonight!

This afternoon Himself is off with his Glasgow footie mates to watch Rangers. I plan to relax in the gardens with an audio book from the library. Bliss!

Enjoy Saturday all who can.

Grandmabatty Sat 20-Aug-22 07:24:50

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 11°, wet and windy. It's to brighten up later though. Buenas Dias Pantsglas. Enjoy your chamberpot de España. Kalu it definitely feels like a coory doon day! Welcome to Gala.
Yesterday was a very enjoyable day. Dd and dgs2 and I went out for breakfast to a place her oldest friend and her husband are running. It was nice to see them doing well. We then wandered around the shops where I bumped into a friend I haven't seen for a while. Back home and I pottered about.
Today I'm out for breakfast again! I'm meeting another good friend at my local garden centre. She and I have been on holiday together in the past and we get on well. I am very lucky to have such good friends. Anyway I might have a mooch around the garden centre and pick up a couple of gifts for that occasion in December. Too early to mention the C word! I'll then do my usual Saturday housework when I return. No idea what I want for dinner. Have a good day all.

Grandmabatty Sat 20-Aug-22 07:25:34

Pantsglas my error. Should be en España.

Ashcombe Sat 20-Aug-22 07:35:20

Good morning, all from a sunny but cloudy Torbay.

Welcome to Gala! Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Last night my “Move It Or Lose It” teacher and her assistant came to watch ‘Allo, ‘Allo and were delighted to be shown around backstage afterwards. The teacher has been a professional entertainer, including as a dancer on cruises so she loved the opportunity. Our final two performances are today and we have a buffet with speeches and presentations in between. (Few of us would cope with a late night after show party!!)

Enjoy whatever you’ve planned! ?????

Gingster Sat 20-Aug-22 07:40:26

Good morning all from a very calm and sunny Suffolk coast.

Journey here yesterday was quite slow with roadworks, traffic calming 40mph speed limits and then getting caught up in the Folk East festival traffic. No matter, we’re here.

Cleaning and bed changing to do in readiness for weekend visitors. We shopped yesterday but our local Co op here is very poor. Lots of empty shelves and high prices. We should have travelled further but convenience won .

Hoping everyone has a good day. ?

ShazzaKanazza Sat 20-Aug-22 07:41:30

Good morning Mick and everyone from a bright fine morning in Hull.

Happy anniversary glammagran? also many happy returns to your son.

Gala lovely to hear from you ? please come back I also love reading about how people spend their days.

GrandMattie those fans are lovely. You are very talented.

This morning we need to do a big food shop I really don’t like going on a Saturday but needs must. Not sure what else is happening. We’ll take the day as it comes.
DH needs to pop to a gym friend to help him with something and he said come along so I can meet his wife. I’m quite shy by nature so always get a bit nervous meeting new people.

Have a lovely day everyone. Virtual hugs to those who are stressed or poorly??

Spice101 Sat 20-Aug-22 07:49:31

Good morning to you all. Still cold and wet in Melbourne. We had a full garden make over recently and I have just watched a sulphur crested cockatoo having a lovely time demolishing some of the plants. Thankfully only one as a flock of them could decimate the whole planting.

dragonfly46 Sat 20-Aug-22 07:50:19

Good morning, cloudy here in Leicestershire.

Meeting some new friends I ‘met’ on a FB group today at a local garden centre. Hope I recognise them!

We camped near La Rochelle BlueSapphire and my daughter was married in Dubrovnik Glammagran. Such happy memories.

Hello Galen good to see you on the thread.

harrigran Sat 20-Aug-22 07:54:39

Good morning from a cloudy NE.
Just pottered yesterday, did basic tidying up and then went into the garden and dead headed the geraniums on the patio.
Couldn't find anything I fancied watching on TV after dinner so took myself off to the study to do some filing.
Sister and BIL will visit this afternoon, they bring basics such as bread and milk and a newspaper but today they are also bringing me a lobster ?
DS and family are off to Wales for a holiday with DIL's family, I think there will be about 16 people so not a quiet relaxed week.
Have a good weekend.

NannyJan53 Sat 20-Aug-22 07:57:40

Good morning from a bright and sunny Black Country,

It is DGD's 14th Birthday today. She is having her friends over today, and family are going for a get together tomorrow. DD is making her an ice-cream cake.

Rang Audiology for Mum yesterday as her hearing has deteriorated and I feel she needs a hearing test and upgraded hearing aids. Apparently they have no appointments until 2023! As we had an appointment with her Doctor for the memory clinic I mentioned it to her. She said this is not good enough, and referred her to Spec Savers as they have a shorter waiting list. How short we are yet to find out with confirmation of a date. She couldn't continue with questions as Mum wouldn't hear properly. So a further appointment is to be made once hearing aids are sorted.

A walk this morning along our local canal with a group of friends, then stop at a cafe for breakfast. Then home to start packing for a trip away to Great Yarmouth on Monday with Mum. This is a belated trip for her 90th 2 years ago, which Covid put paid to.

Welcome to gala

Enjoy your day everyone

hollysteers Sat 20-Aug-22 07:59:53

Good morning Mick and all from a breezy brightening northwest coast.
V nice to meet up with old singing colleague yesterday and we were able to sit out and have coffee in the garden and catch up after a long time. He brought flowers and a CD of him singing arias. I should get organised on that. I have a CD but it was a one day effort and I’m not thrilled by it.
I’m sorting photos but will still be leaving so many. Trying to be ruthless. Five photos of DD going down a water slide can be culled for example.
I was going to go to a big local flower show today, but am going on a long day trip tomorrow and know it will tire me out. Never particularly enjoyed it before, so will have a quiet day. Oh for more stamina!
Happy Saturday and thoughts to those with troubles.