Gransnet forums

Chat

Renovating at 67 & 76 years old

(103 Posts)
Nanz Sat 20-Aug-22 07:07:52

We are working on Renovating an old cottage in Bulgaria with little money smile We went to help our daughter in Canada for 18 months looking after two active young uns.. Now we are building our dream. People think its weird we would do this at our age but to be honest it has made us have a goal each day - it has also helped us mentally and physically as we work the overgrown gardens and plan the house out. If there is interest in our progress i can post photos of our journey

Calendargirl Sat 20-Aug-22 07:10:07

Good luck, but rather you than me!

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 20-Aug-22 08:32:08

I’d certainly think twice about it. Been there done that.

Do you live in Bulgaria and speak the language? If not then you are very brave.

PollyDolly Sat 20-Aug-22 08:34:04

Is it going to be your permanent home or a holiday home?

aggie Sat 20-Aug-22 08:36:47

It sounds very exciting !

Greendress Sat 20-Aug-22 08:36:49

What a brilliant thing to do. I would love to see photos of your project and journey.

Doodledog Sat 20-Aug-22 08:37:50

It sounds really exciting.

Enjoy it, and good luck smile

NotSpaghetti Sat 20-Aug-22 08:38:08

I think this is great if you are healthy.
Good luck.

MerylStreep Sat 20-Aug-22 08:50:25

Nanz Dobra Den.
We moved to Bulgaria in 2004 ( pre them joining the eu)
Our house was very liveable but not to our taste.
I was a bit younger than you ( 58) so we were perfectly able to do the renovations except for the internal staircase ( there wasn’t one ) so we went around the shops with the builders to choose everything we wanted and came home for 3 months.
But we’ll done to you for taking it on.
We came home after 5 years. Where did you move to?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 20-Aug-22 08:55:26

Good luck! Did that many years ago but in England, an old thatched cottage, I wouldn’t want to do it now! Yes, I’m sure we’d all love to see photos as you progress.

Smileless2012 Sat 20-Aug-22 08:55:49

Good for you Nanz and I'd also like to see photographs of the progress you make. Good luck smile.

crazyH Sat 20-Aug-22 09:01:58

Really adventurous and brave - good luck with the project !!!

Barmeyoldbat Sat 20-Aug-22 09:03:32

Yes I think it is an amazing thing to do, it will keep you fit both physically and mentally and I would love to see photos of your project. You are never to old

JenniferEccles Sat 20-Aug-22 09:19:03

Oh yes please do post pictures of your progress! It will be very interesting. Grand Designs is one of my favourite programmes!
Ok your property is probably on a much smaller scale than most of those but interesting nevertheless.

We have done up properties over the years but only in this country, so a doddle compared with your project!

I’m guessing it will be your holiday home or a holiday let ?Bulgaria is an up and coming holiday destination I believe, and cheaper than a lot of other destinations.

I thinking it sounds a wonderfully exciting thing to do and I’m sure you did your research before you went ahead.
Yes there are pitfalls, and you say you haven’t much money for it which is a bit of a worry but I guess labour out there is cheap, and maybe you got an absolute bargain?
Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Baggs Sat 20-Aug-22 09:27:02

Ooh, yes! Do post photos.

Fleurpepper Sat 20-Aug-22 09:36:33

We are doing the same, but out main home. Keeps you fit and young smile

Witzend Sat 20-Aug-22 09:56:52

Good luck, OP! Sounds very exciting (if thoroughly exhausting to me!).

It’s over ten years since I renovated anything, and that was a disgusting dump of a 2 bed flat where the only actual work I did was some little bits at the end. TBH finding and keeping an eye on tradesmen, sourcing everything for a total renovation, was quite enough.

Nowadays I can’t even be bothered to replace our 30+ year old kitchen.

Witzend Sat 20-Aug-22 10:03:57

Though having said that, I think I could get very excited about renovating a holiday home in my favourite U.K. seaside location - not that we’re ever likely to buy one now. I was on the point of it once - was itching to do the place up and make it so much nicer - but could not get dh anything like as keen, though he said go ahead if I wanted to.
But I wanted at least some enthusiasm from him, too, which just want there, so I passed.
Still regret it!

Witzend Sat 20-Aug-22 10:04:30

wasn’t…

Nanz Sun 21-Aug-22 02:43:36

thankyou.

Nanz Sun 21-Aug-22 02:55:36

Hi everyone.
I will try to answer all your comments. We have been in Bulgaria before sold up to go to Canada to help our daughter. So we speak a very little Bulgarian but most people under 30 were taught English in school. We have so many friends (mostly Bulgarian )here. Yes it sounds a bit mad to be doing this at our age but on the upside the cost of living is a fraction of the UK and Canada.
I am of the opinion if you don't use it you lose it and you are never too young.
The grounds are very overgrown so we have been clearing all of that and as the Bulgarians are "never throw anything out". we have been sending tractor loads of stuff to the tip every week. smile When we first came to BG we were so inspired by the people, the peace, the fact there is a doctor in almost every village who you can see without appointments, the low cost of living and the awesome countryside. The country has come forward in leaps over the last years with highways, new hospitals etc . I will upload some photos of when we arrived and an update as we go. Thankyou all for your encouragement smile

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 21-Aug-22 09:13:33

A doctor in almost every village - sounds like England in the 50s. Very tempting!

Sparklefizz Sun 21-Aug-22 10:12:34

Hi Nanz, would love to see your photos as I'm always interested in TV programmes on these lines. I think you're brave, though, but the country sounds lovely - as GSM says, like England in the 50s.

Aldom Sun 21-Aug-22 10:32:40

Hello Nanz I shall look forward to and enjoy seeing your photos and reading about your progress as you renovate the house and gardens.
Many years ago we restored a house. It was a grade 2 listed building, so everything we did was carefully monitored by the listed buildings authority. It was hard, but very rewarding work. The way of life which you describe in Bulgaria is enviable. Gosh, a doctor in every village.
I'm currently watching a TV programme called Help I bought a village. I shall think of you as I watch this programme. Best wishes and lots of luck. smile

FarNorth Sun 21-Aug-22 10:46:17

You make it sound wonderful Nanz and I hope it all goes well.