Gransnet forums

Chat

A tablet?

(22 Posts)
MissAdventure Mon 26-Sep-22 20:53:56

I am thinking of splashing out on a very cheap tablet.

I really can't manage to do all I need on my phone any more.

Mostly so that I can finally give in, and have online banking, but also so I can do an online shop and see what I'm ordering.

Does anyone have any inspiring ideas - cheap ones! Please?

midgey Mon 26-Sep-22 20:56:51

Have you thought of a refurbished one? Might be much cheaper and still comes with a guarantee usually.

Blossoming Mon 26-Sep-22 21:03:09

Amazon sometimes have good deals on refurbished Kindle Fires. My sister likes hers, but I have never used one. I’m an iPad fan and they’re not cheap, sorry.

MissAdventure Mon 26-Sep-22 21:06:05

Oh that's ok.
I don't even know what the difference is between all these things, so it's good to hear anyone's views or recommendations.

MissAdventure Mon 26-Sep-22 21:10:27

So, refurbished is worth checking out, I think. smile

Floradora9 Mon 26-Sep-22 21:30:18

I have a kindle fire one of the bigger ones I am sure that Amazon will have then reduced on black Friday in November. You can get e-mails search the web , play games , listen to music , watch films , do online banking , read books and magazines ( from the library ) . I think they are great for the money.

annsixty Mon 26-Sep-22 21:33:17

Kindle fire are indeed good, as upthread wait until Black Friday when you may get a bargain.

MissAdventure Mon 26-Sep-22 22:04:41

Thank you. smile
This is all very helpful.

tanith Mon 26-Sep-22 22:07:13

I too am an ipad fan not cheap but does everything i need

Shinamae Mon 26-Sep-22 22:09:34

Reconditioned iPad for me

MissAdventure Mon 26-Sep-22 23:09:47

Thank you.
My big grandson is coming to visit me tomorrow (I hope) so i shall see what he says, too.

I hate buying new things, it stresses me in case i regret it.

Dickens Mon 26-Sep-22 23:31:00

MissAdventure

Thank you.
My big grandson is coming to visit me tomorrow (I hope) so i shall see what he says, too.

I hate buying new things, it stresses me in case i regret it.

All my devices are "re-furbished".

All have looked as good as new, and all have performed entirely satisfactorily!

Cheeseplantmad Mon 26-Sep-22 23:31:11

You can’t beat an iPad , mine I’d bought new from Amazon and were cheaper because it said came with American plug rather than European , but , the iPad itself is exactly the same . Its also certainly worth checking out reconditioned ones on Amazon , they come with years guarantee. I’ve been tempted to buy a reconditioned MacBook they have some really good ones at great prices .

BlueBelle Mon 26-Sep-22 23:39:40

MissA I always buy refurbished iPads and iPhones get them at a fraction of the price I use CEX and you usually get a year guarantee Look for the length of battery life
They have all lasted me years and caused no problems
I use an Android at work and don’t like it anything like as much as my apple devices
It’s always worth buying a refurbished one in my opinion

MissAdventure Mon 26-Sep-22 23:43:14

Thanks.
I'm all for refurbished; my whole flat is full of fixed, bodged, upcycled, and recycled things. grin

Is a tablet too old fashioned, now, though?
Not worth buying?

SunshineSally Mon 26-Sep-22 23:46:49

It’s an iPad for me too. So easy to use. Mine is WI-FI only (cheaper) so I don’t need to purchase a plan for it.

MissAdventure Mon 26-Sep-22 23:49:11

Ooh, that's worth knowing, Sunshine, and I hadn't given it a thought.

Mine will be just used indoors, so can run off my wifi.

crazyH Tue 27-Sep-22 00:40:26

A refurbished iPad would be my suggestion. I have 2, both of which are refurbished and from Amazon. Good luck !

SunshineSally Tue 27-Sep-22 04:40:13

MissAdventure

Ooh, that's worth knowing, Sunshine, and I hadn't given it a thought.

Mine will be just used indoors, so can run off my wifi.

You will love it - there are so many Apps you can get. Google Earth is amazing. I can easily lose a few hours if I’m not careful. You do need a decent amount of storage though, if you want to store photos and/or videos etc on it.

I only use mine indoors - but do take it on holiday if I know free Wi-Fi is available ?

MerylStreep Tue 27-Sep-22 07:52:54

MissAdventure
I’ve sent you a PM.

Farmor15 Tue 27-Sep-22 08:42:01

Unless you're an Apple fan, I wouldn't go for iPad, even refurbished. I use an Android phone, but OH loves all Apple products and keeps wanting to upgrade. He accidentally ordered the wrong size iPad, a few years ago, but couldn't return it as it came with his name engraved on back - special promotion!! I offered to take it so he could get the one he wanted. I use it a bit, but have never liked it. Much prefer the way my phone works.smile. I have a laptop as well, and use that or phone for most things. If I were to replace iPad I would probably go for Amazon fire.

notgran Tue 27-Sep-22 08:56:45

I use a Tablet, it's fine does all I would want or need it to do. They come in various screen sizes which I would say is the only consideration needed. As my husband was in IT all his working life, I take his recommendations and for whatever reason he doesn't like Apple products so i Pads are never considered. As people are saying shop around on Amazon, look at the recommended products on there, be careful with how long it takes for them to be delivered, we have had recent problems with that. Mine is a small Samsung I bought from Curry's a year or so ago, because it was reduced and I liked the colour! OH said it was a bargain and the next version up from my previous one that hadn't worked after I accidently frisbee'd it across the patio. If you prefer buying from a shop rather than on-line, John Lewis is also somewhere good to browse IT stuff.