Gransnet forums

Chat

Microwaves been out of fashion?

(108 Posts)
Zoejory Tue 27-Sep-22 00:07:31

Sorry for the Daily Mail link but I've just read this article about Alice Beer discussing microwaves on This Morning.

Apparently they've been out of fashion since the 80s. Nobody uses them any more. Really?

I don't think we even had a microwave in the 80s but have one now which is used 3 or 4 times a week.

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11251413/This-Morning-viewers-baffled-Alice-Beer-claims-microwaves-havent-used-1980s.html#comments

Doodledog Tue 27-Sep-22 00:10:51

I got married in 1980 and have had one ever since. I use them a lot - both for heating up leftovers and for cooking from scratch. I wouldn't be without one.

Hithere Tue 27-Sep-22 01:09:13

Not sure in which dimension the writer of the article lives in

Mamardoit Tue 27-Sep-22 04:48:38

I can remember not wanting to have a microwave back in the 80s. I couldn't see a need for one. DH was very keen so went and bought one. We wouldn't be without one now.

It's not something like the breadmaker, juicer, etc. we have bought and got rid of because they were never used.

BlueBelle Tue 27-Sep-22 04:54:42

Probably 90 s for me but wouldn’t be without one Dont use it for main meals apart from a jacket but for odds and ends of warming up etc

Oldnproud Tue 27-Sep-22 07:06:01

I didn't have a microwave until the late nineties. (Mind you, i didnt have a house or mains electric until then, either.) As time has gone on, I've used it more and more.

Both sons and families have them and use them regularly, so the idea that they have been out of fashion sounds like utter bull* to me.

Mine has really come into its own now though, both for speed and as an energy-saving device.
DGD was here for dinner and a sleepover on Saturday. After dinner, we really fancied cake. It only took five mins to cook in the microwave. Brilliant!

Katie59 Tue 27-Sep-22 07:15:35

Ours gets used most days for heating things up simple cooking occasionally, almost every kitchen has one.

Calendargirl Tue 27-Sep-22 07:15:36

Use mine every morning to make our porridge in, our cocoa at night, cooking vegetables, reheating stuff.

Grandmadinosaur Tue 27-Sep-22 07:21:26

I don’t use mine as much as I should. I do intend to start using it more with energy prices. Currently I use it for porridge,jacket potatoes,scrambled egg and warming milk.

argymargy Tue 27-Sep-22 07:27:21

I use mine all the time, cooking, reheating meals and heating up my Hottie hot water bottle. I think it’s the opposite - with the cost of fuel crisis they are coming into their own as the cheapest way of cooking.

Dickens Tue 27-Sep-22 07:30:28

Hithere

Not sure in which dimension the writer of the article lives in

Certainly not the same dimension that most of us appear to live in.

Maybe the writer has food delivered and / or eats out a lot? I've no clue why she's come to this conclusion!

Charleygirl5 Tue 27-Sep-22 08:57:49

I have had one since the early 1980s and would not be without it. I love scrambled eggs cooked in it, little washing up afterwards. Easy to work, cheap to run, easily cleaned what is there not to like?

M0nica Tue 27-Sep-22 09:07:46

Use my microwave 2 or 3 times a day - and counting.

I had my first one around 1979/80, and i have wondered how I managed without it almost from Day 1

I have just looked this dotty dumbo up online and her remarks seem to have been greeted with disbelief by everyone who heard or read about it.

MawtheMerrier Tue 27-Sep-22 09:09:58

Well I think it’s the DM that’s out of date.
Saturdays DT had a really good article about the role the microwave can play in keeping our energy bills down.

Faster, easier, cheaper: it’s time to start the microwave revolution
Using a microwave instead of an electric cooker could save you £286 a year. Isn’t it time you made the switch, asks Xanthe Clay
Most of us own a microwave: anything between 80 and 95 per cent of UK households (estimates vary) have one. So why are we such terrible snobs about them? They are often hidden away, or dismissed as somewhere to heat ready meals. Gastronomes take pride in doing without one, like a quasi-intellectual gloating about not having a TV. It’s that vegan joke rebooted: how do you know that the cook doesn’t have a microwave? Because they’ll tell you
Well, it’s time to wake up to the power of the microwave. Or rather, the lack of power that it uses, compared with conventional cooking methods. With energy costs spiralling to unthinkable levels, it seems that the microwave’s moment has come. Not before time, according to environmental campaigners, who have been pointing out for years that we need to think harder about how we use energy.

I was given a wonderful all-singing, all-dancing one in the 80’s/early 90’s by my sister in law who secretly wanted one but thought it would be a good idea for me (a keen cook) to sort of trial the idea for her!
It eventually bit the dust just 4 years ago but its successor is used several times a day - hot milk for coffee, cooking fish and some veggies, reheating (obviously) defrosting, even cooking bacon on kitchen paper.

MawtheMerrier Tue 27-Sep-22 09:11:03

Love the epithet dotty dumbo ! M0nica - classic!

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Sep-22 09:13:08

I have only ever used a microwave for dying wool and for heating the Christmas pudding.

Haven't dyed wool for years so got rid.
grin

M0nica Tue 27-Sep-22 09:21:27

NotSpaghetti How do you defrost and heat ready meals, bought or home made? Using the oven is so costly these days.

BigBertha1 Tue 27-Sep-22 09:31:33

There was a similar article in the weekend papers. I have to confess I hate the microwave but I will be using more now. As Nigella says ' pop it in the mee-cro-wavee'

Franbern Tue 27-Sep-22 09:48:04

Maw -great post. I can remember my friend (one of the worst cooks in the world), who used to 'hide' her mw away in her utility room. No idea why.......She also had a great big Aga in which she always successfully either undercooked or burned everything.

I was fortunate enough to have a microwave from mid-70's - just three models on sale when we decided to get one (hubbie was then working in a catering environment, where they had been in used or sometime). Now have a combi one. Very few days it is not in use I(and I am by myself). Saves so much money and time in cooing (eg: piece of salmon cooked to perfection in that in under three minutes).

Callistemon21 Tue 27-Sep-22 10:46:26

this dotty dumbo ? ? ?

I had heard of her I think - she used to be on the telly. I do remember the name and what she looked like but can't remember anything she ever said or did.

Callistemon21 Tue 27-Sep-22 10:48:04

NotSpaghetti

I have only ever used a microwave for dying wool and for heating the Christmas pudding.

Haven't dyed wool for years so got rid.
grin

I reheat the Christmas pudding in the slow cooker.

Someone caught his house on fire reheating one in the microwave,
Not that that puts me off using mine for any other things.

Aspen Tue 27-Sep-22 10:48:25

Use mine at least 3 times a day. Would be easier to count how many times I have used my conventional oven over to last 20 years.

Callistemon21 Tue 27-Sep-22 10:48:37

any = many

ExDancer Tue 27-Sep-22 10:56:18

I cooked a whole roast beef dinner on Sunday using my convection/microwave and just the hop and slow cooker. Just to see if it can be done.
I think I'll stick with this method to save the cost of heating the big oven, but I've no way of knowing if it saved electricity or not.

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Sep-22 11:05:10

Callistemon21 that's exactly what I do since.
I use my slow-cooker quite a lot in the winter tbh.