Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone still thinking of voting tory at the next General Election?

(382 Posts)
MaizieD Wed 28-Sep-22 16:14:37

Just that, really.

I'm curious to know if crashing the economy has influenced anyone's thinking...

M0nica Wed 28-Sep-22 16:45:01

Would they admit it if they were?

MaizieD Wed 28-Sep-22 16:59:56

I must admit that I'm not overwhelmed with responses.. hmm

Normandygirl Wed 28-Sep-22 17:04:42

I'm still getting over the fact that anyone thought Boris was PM material, so I guess anything is possible nowadays.

Rosie51 Wed 28-Sep-22 17:07:47

MaizieD

Could mean nobody is still thinking of voting Conservative or..........anyone who is doesn't want to endure the inevitable pile-on and hounding?? I couldn't vote Conservative even though I feel abandoned by Labour.

Grannybags Wed 28-Sep-22 17:08:30

I have voted Tory all my life but if there was a GE tomorrow the answer to your question would be no

Septimia Wed 28-Sep-22 17:08:36

It depends on the candidates. Our current Tory MP seems to be trying hard locally, although I'm not happy with the party itself. I wouldn't have voted for his Labour predecessor. I wish we had a Monster Raving Loony candidate here.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 28-Sep-22 17:10:43

It depends on how things are at the time and who’s in post. I would like to see the back of Truss and Kwarteng yesterday.

MaizieD Wed 28-Sep-22 17:23:23

Rosie51

MaizieD

Could mean nobody is still thinking of voting Conservative or..........anyone who is doesn't want to endure the inevitable pile-on and hounding?? I couldn't vote Conservative even though I feel abandoned by Labour.

It wasn't intended as a goady thread, Rosie51.

I'm genuinely curious. I'll try not to say a word, just read the responses.

Sara1954 Wed 28-Sep-22 17:23:58

No, I was a Tory supporter until they turned on Theresa May, never since, and I can’t imagine myself ever voting for them again.

Having spent the last couple of years moaning about Boris, i find myself feeling quite nostalgic for him.

I hate to think where we might end up with this lot.

DaisyAnne Wed 28-Sep-22 17:26:27

Germanshepherdsmum

It depends on how things are at the time and who’s in post. I would like to see the back of Truss and Kwarteng yesterday.

They surely couldn't put us through another "leadership" election.

DaisyAnne Wed 28-Sep-22 17:28:21

If anyone is thinking of doing so, I suggest they check how this latest little game has affected their pension.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 28-Sep-22 17:30:10

It would be better than sticking with this woman who was warned about the effects of her proposals but took no notice. I shall watch her reception and performance - and Kwarteng’s - at the conference with interest.

leeds22 Wed 28-Sep-22 17:34:20

Voted mostly Tory in General Elections but not since Boris ousted TM. Certainly won’t be voting Tory next time although as I’m in very safe Con seat, it will just be a protest vote anyway.

Fleurpepper Wed 28-Sep-22 17:38:44

Germanshepherdsmum

It would be better than sticking with this woman who was warned about the effects of her proposals but took no notice. I shall watch her reception and performance - and Kwarteng’s - at the conference with interest.

Will you be there, in person?

DaisyAnne Wed 28-Sep-22 17:38:51

Germanshepherdsmum

No, they would have to go to a GE. I think there might be riots if they didn't.

Joseanne Wed 28-Sep-22 17:41:33

No, disillusioned, so not going to bother to vote at all.
DH has just come out of a job where he would have benefited from scrapping of 45p tax rate, we won't be receiving our pensions for another 5 years, so being in no man's land and politically homeless, the Tories won't be getting our votes.

Blossoming Wed 28-Sep-22 17:42:58

I don’t vote Tory, that’s why I didn’t initially answer the OP.

Jaxjacky Wed 28-Sep-22 17:53:44

No, I have done in the past. This wilful destruction of our economy is actually scary.

paddyann54 Wed 28-Sep-22 18:03:05

Never have never will .like most of Scotland since 1955 ,labours not doing much better they have a leader of the Scottish branch (fact ..its not registered in Scotlandas a political party)who loudly proclimed no deals with anone in January yer in the May elections they have teamed up with the tories!
Thats how to finish off Labour ,people who voted for SNP actually wanted SNP not a coalition of the unionist parties .But regardless of SNP coming frst the coalition took power and put tories in top jobs in a few Scottish councils.Not a good move Sarwar!

joannapiano Wed 28-Sep-22 18:07:58

Yes I will.

Oldbat1 Wed 28-Sep-22 18:08:31

Never never never!

Fleurpepper Wed 28-Sep-22 18:17:20

joannapiano

Yes I will.

I don't suppose you are prepared to talk us through your reasoning here?

Yammy Wed 28-Sep-22 18:17:41

I'm a floating voter, but where I live it is pointless voting Labour or Liberal Democrat it's the old Willy Whitelaw seat of Thatcher fame"Everyone needs a Willy". I liked Rory Stewart he did loads after the bad storms a few years ago I could not tell you the name of the present one.
I certainly will not vote Conservative if the pair we have now are still leading. I wanted Sunak. Who better than a person of colour with a good grasp of the economy? I hope he tries again and does not leave as David Milliband did the labour party.

growstuff Wed 28-Sep-22 18:26:06

leeds22

Voted mostly Tory in General Elections but not since Boris ousted TM. Certainly won’t be voting Tory next time although as I’m in very safe Con seat, it will just be a protest vote anyway.

I'm not so sure that there will be many "safe" Conservative seats after this fiasco and if the leadership stays as it is. I think they're going to have to pull a massive rabbit out of a hat before the next election.