Gransnet forums

Chat

I’ve broken…….heatings on.

(30 Posts)
Sago Fri 30-Sep-22 17:57:25

I was trying to hang on until 1/10, we lit a fire last week but this evening I have broken.
Please tell me I’m not the only one.

BlueBelle Fri 30-Sep-22 18:04:53

I have no intention of putting my gas fire on I have a big snuggle blanket and my hot water bottles
That ll do

Redhead56 Fri 30-Sep-22 18:07:04

I had the Covid booster and I am in bed shaking and freezing and we can’t get the boiler to go on typical!

Witzend Fri 30-Sep-22 18:08:43

You’re not the only one. The last few evenings we’ve had the heating on for a few hours. If we had a fireplace or a gas fire, I’d have lit that instead though.

Urmstongran Fri 30-Sep-22 18:08:51

No need for heating in our little apartment yet. I think new builds just have fantastic insulation properties.

crazyH Fri 30-Sep-22 18:10:32

I’ve got the heating on - I won’t go hungry and I won’t go ‘cold’……. I don’t want to die of starvation or hypothermia ….

Happygirl79 Fri 30-Sep-22 18:11:36

My heating went on on Wednesday evening and then for an hour today otherwise going out walking to stay warm and drinking home made soups

JaneJudge Fri 30-Sep-22 18:12:11

We have but we are on oil so know how much we have, and we had to make allowance when oil prices rose over 100% earlier in the year. A luxury

karmalady Fri 30-Sep-22 18:13:38

Mine came on for a bit last night, nice and toasty in my living room today as my new glass hurricane lamp arrived and a pillar candle has kept the room warm all day. New build was far too hot this summer but lovely now

Kate54 Fri 30-Sep-22 18:15:08

You are not alone! I put the tumble dryer on today as the washing got caught in the rain. Life is very short.

ayse Fri 30-Sep-22 18:23:25

Our heating is on a timer and started coming on in the morning a couple of weeks ago. The flat does keep a lot warmer since having double glazing last Spring, so it just seems to boost the heat up just enough for us to stay warm with dressing gowns on.

rosie1959 Fri 30-Sep-22 18:29:41

Yes our thermostat clicked in yesterday this is the last day of our fixed rate.
Will see how it goes don't intend to sit shivering but may be more prudent with use of high energy items

Doodledog Fri 30-Sep-22 18:42:22

I haven't put the heating or the fire on yet. I'm not cold enough to want to, although I am making sure that my feet stay warm, as I find that makes a difference.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 30-Sep-22 18:46:15

We came back from a few days away and I went and put the heating to warm up the house but it doesn’t work. So I lit the multi burner and the boiler man is coming tomorrow to get it working. Need to have it on for just an hour in the morning and fire the rest of the time,

Jaxjacky Fri 30-Sep-22 18:47:10

Just put it on for an hour, as rosie said, last day of the less expensive fuel.

Oldnproud Fri 30-Sep-22 18:51:52

It's warmer here today than yesterday, so no central heating yet.
The last two evenings we burnt some wood on the fire in the living room, but are even managing without that tonight!

I'm still showering in cold water in the morning. DH would have me certified if he knew. Don't think I'll be doing that much longer this year though, as the mains water is getting a tad chilly now.

Charleygirl5 Fri 30-Sep-22 18:53:51

I switched mine on this evening. I was sitting here shivering and as I am not down to my last penny yet I decided to have a pleasant evening with the heating on, a glass of wine and an easy supper. Who knows, there may be something to watch on TV.

I will take each day as it comes-as somebody said on another thread, there are no pockets on a shroud for my money.

Fleurpepper Fri 30-Sep-22 19:13:30

Couldn't shower with cold water in winter- so very happy that we installed solar panels for hot water. I have a short shower, but it has to be hot.

HowVeryDareYou Fri 30-Sep-22 19:15:40

I've been putting my heating on for a few hours for about a week. It's been all almost all day today - it's cold and has rained non-stop since 11am. I don't intend to be cold.

SusieB50 Fri 30-Sep-22 19:20:06

I have set the thermostat for 19 and will see how I go. It came on yesterday morning and today and it’s on this eve too . I also have a nice blanket for the sofa and hot water bottle for bedtime. I had an email from EDF telling me there is no need to read my meters as I have a Smart meter , still think I will take a reading …

Oldbat1 Fri 30-Sep-22 19:30:13

Switched ours on today but thermostat hasn’t kicked in - it is set at 20degrees. Feels bit chilly to me but as we had Covid and flu injections yesterday that may well be the reason. Our arms are really aching but that is a small price to pay.

Charleygirl5 Fri 30-Sep-22 19:32:43

Fleurpepper I did in 2009 and never regretted it a day since.

Chrissielou Fri 30-Sep-22 19:43:38

Did light the open fire tonight, but we do have a large store of seasoned wood. We haven't switched the heating on yet though. Hoping to hold off for now.

Georgesgran Fri 30-Sep-22 22:07:34

Had a new timer installed on Monday and had the heating on and off ever since. It’s been a day of constant pouring rain today.

BigBertha1 Fri 30-Sep-22 22:12:30

It has come on a bit here in the frozen North but no additional fires or heaters. I really feel the cold but we will try to be careful and certainly try not to go over the ceiling where the higher price cuts in.