Gransnet forums

Chat

The date of King Charles’ coronation has been leaked

(199 Posts)
25Avalon Thu 06-Oct-22 13:08:06

It is said to be June3rd next year in Westminster Abbey. This is from Bloomsberg.

MissAdventure Thu 06-Oct-22 13:11:48

Blimey.
That's a long time away.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 06-Oct-22 13:12:23

That’s half term week here in the South East, we were planning to be away with AC and GC.

Sparklefizz Thu 06-Oct-22 13:14:31

That information has been denied by Buckingham Palace.

Mamardoit Thu 06-Oct-22 13:19:28

It's within a year of the Queen's death so not long really. A reasonably good chance of warm sunny day. It will fit in with half term week.

25Avalon Thu 06-Oct-22 13:21:06

Intricate details have apparently been years in the making and are kept secret under the code name Operation Golden Orb.
The date is said to have been leaked anonymously (what else?!) but the Palace deny it. Could just be speculation as June 3rd is a Sunday and will be 70 years and I day after Queen Elizabeth’s coronation.

Enid101 Thu 06-Oct-22 13:25:22

Oh I hope not! We’ve got tickets to see Oklahoma and hotel prices will rocket ?

Grany Thu 06-Oct-22 13:41:18

Is it time now for a grown up discussion about monarchy, our democracy?

Monarchy Republic

Nick Wall - Why it's time to abolish the Monarchy.

GrannySomerset Thu 06-Oct-22 14:01:06

I admire your perseverance, Grany, but don’t agree with you. I expect you will keep trying though!

Parsley3 Thu 06-Oct-22 14:06:23

It doesn't fit in with half term week for me.

Grany Thu 06-Oct-22 14:14:10

New video

m.youtube.com/watch?v=PrSjrE8yLJM

annsixty Thu 06-Oct-22 14:14:55

I really can’t see the Coronation being on a Sunday.

nadateturbe Thu 06-Oct-22 14:15:00

Never mind Charles. I'm so excited, we have William and Kate here today, must go and practice my curtsey. Now where's my flag?...

Casdon Thu 06-Oct-22 14:16:38

It’s a Saturday, so it won’t directly affect half term. I think holding it on a Saturday is a good idea, with less disruption to working life and more people will be able to watch if they wish.

Franbern Thu 06-Oct-22 14:55:00

Mamardoit

It's within a year of the Queen's death so not long really. A reasonably good chance of warm sunny day. It will fit in with half term week.

June 2nd for Lizzie's crowning and it poured with rain he whole dayj.

25Avalon Thu 06-Oct-22 14:57:43

You are right Casdon June 3rd is a Saturday. Idk where I read it was Sunday. It is purported to be a smaller scaled down event than usual so that’s my invitation gone, especially if they found out I was one of those who opposed Duchy plans to build 1,000 homes near Bath?

Callistemon21 Thu 06-Oct-22 15:24:16

Yes, it did rain last time.
It wasn't a bad omen, though!

The June Monsoon.

volver Thu 06-Oct-22 15:29:09

Callistemon21

The June Monsoon.

My DF was an 18 year old National Serviceman who was part of the military presence lining the route. He got so wet that they had to throw out all their uniforms at the end of the day, because they were ruined.

Chestnut Thu 06-Oct-22 15:33:02

Franbern

Mamardoit

June 2nd for Lizzie's crowning and it poured with rain he whole dayj.

I don't remember anyone called Lizzie being crowned anywhere or anytime. Was this something you dreamed?

Callistemon21 Thu 06-Oct-22 15:41:12

volver

Callistemon21

The June Monsoon.

My DF was an 18 year old National Serviceman who was part of the military presence lining the route. He got so wet that they had to throw out all their uniforms at the end of the day, because they were ruined.

My mother said she went up to London and wasn't well, luckily she went with her sister. Perhaps she got soaked too, I can't remember

I meant it wasnt a bad omen for the Queen - 70 years.

Prentice Thu 06-Oct-22 16:20:31

June, a very good time for a garden party.Perhaps it will be deemed a Bank Holiday.

Nanawind Thu 06-Oct-22 16:39:14

I hope it's not on the 2nd June our daughter is getting married that day.

Greenfinch Thu 06-Oct-22 16:49:22

It would be good to have it in half term week so that GCSE and A Levels are not disrupted.

Franbern Thu 06-Oct-22 18:50:25

It was pretty bad for the many places back then who had arranged street parties on the actual day. They were totally washed out. All the carriages at the coronation had been prepared as open topped, All, but one, closed them against the weather. Only the Queen of Tonga refused to have hers closed and sat with an umbrella being held over here as they went across London.

Another piece of' bread and circus's' to take out mind off what would have been a horrific winter. Okay, many would have died through lack of medical care, through getting hypothermia in their homes, through not having enough to eat. School classes would have grown, people will still be pulling out their own teeth. Tens of thousands will be living in unfit housing, many others will not even be that lucky and be homeless - but Heigh Ho.......all will be well with a bit of pomp and ceremonyj!!!!!

Grany Thu 06-Oct-22 20:01:15

Here’s a plan for green King Charles: sell the family silver and use the cash to save the planet
John Vidal

Aside from shedding most of his relations, abandoning archaic British empire medals and generally living less lavishly, he could start hosting vegetarian banquets and end hunting on all royal lands.

At which point, he could do the decent thing and abolish himself.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/06/king-charles-green-environmental-reforms-monarchy?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab&fbclid=IwAR2Gk5L6gj_yPe5zv0R0GYDecJNP79i8H9X0frsogH88Q4c59U2W_0U6xCk