Gransnet forums

Chat

Are people really feeling the pinch?

(98 Posts)
Sago Thu 24-Nov-22 19:38:42

I am organising some focus groups in 6 different parts of my home City.
Some of the groups are to take place in areas that are considered poor.
Each respondent will get £50 for 90 minutes.
I honestly thought people would be beating my door down but no.
I am quite frankly astonished.

Jaxjacky Thu 24-Nov-22 20:04:55

I suppose it depends what the focus groups are for, people can be very suspicious and wary if they think it’s personal information being requested.

Gillycats Thu 24-Nov-22 21:00:36

Too much effort for people, the ‘I can’t be bothered’ syndrome strikes again.

Sago Thu 24-Nov-22 21:02:38

Jaxjacky

I suppose it depends what the focus groups are for, people can be very suspicious and wary if they think it’s personal information being requested.

It’s nothing personal, just a reputable company looking for feedback on their reputation/ service.

lixy Thu 24-Nov-22 21:13:02

I guess that everyone is very wary as there are so many scams around at the moment. Hope you get a response soon.

midgey Thu 24-Nov-22 21:30:59

I would say that it sounds too good to be true so therefore people think it’s a scam. In my area I certainly would be very wary of such an offer. Look to your advertising!

Hetty58 Thu 24-Nov-22 21:32:47

Sago, have another look at how the opportunity is presented. With scams so rife, we're all very cautious - as Jaxjacky and lixy say. Maybe they need reassurance that they won't be targeted for marketing. Perhaps anonymity is required. Anyone on benefits would have to disclose extra income. That could be complicated with an unpredictable outcome, so maybe cash isn't as appealing as vouchers/discounts/freebies etc.

Sago Thu 24-Nov-22 21:47:45

midgey

I would say that it sounds too good to be true so therefore people think it’s a scam. In my area I certainly would be very wary of such an offer. Look to your advertising!

We are a professional company, we recruit through local community hubs, churches, community cafes etc.
We have had a greater response in the more affluent areas.

Tizliz Thu 24-Nov-22 21:53:29

I don’t think it is very well paid. I did a couple 10 years ago and was paid £50, that was worth it.

Sago Thu 24-Nov-22 22:28:38

Tizliz

I don’t think it is very well paid. I did a couple 10 years ago and was paid £50, that was worth it.

£50 for 90 minutes, I think that’s pretty good.

Rosie51 Thu 24-Nov-22 22:32:34

If it was in my area I'd consider just over £30 an hour very good, and jump at the chance.

Lyng17 Thu 24-Nov-22 22:53:03

Rosie51

If it was in my area I'd consider just over £30 an hour very good, and jump at the chance.

Me too. Sitting in a warm place being paid to answer a few questions. I have done this before and it's usually quite interesting.

BlueBelle Thu 24-Nov-22 23:07:03

Yes I d jump at it too but I think people are very scared of scams and perhaps if I didn’t know you I d feel a bit cautious

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 25-Nov-22 06:00:26

Maybe the people you are targeting don’t have any dealings with the Company you represent?

vegansrock Fri 25-Nov-22 06:27:36

I’ve done a few of these , the last one was £100 Amazon voucher for a couple of hours and you got lunch. Haven’t seen any adverts lately though .

LOUISA1523 Fri 25-Nov-22 07:57:51

People will think you are scammers

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Nov-22 08:02:21

People who are feeling the pinch are probably working more than one job or longer hours and have little time or energy to attend this sort of time wasting meeting.

nanna8 Fri 25-Nov-22 08:07:06

Maybe they can’t get there. Not sure what the transport is like but I know if you haven’t got a car here you are stuck.

MerylStreep Fri 25-Nov-22 08:12:48

Sago
You ask if people are really feeling the pinch.
If Oxford Street and the west end in general last Saturday are anything to go by, the answer is no. It was heaving, and people were spending, not just meandering.

Joseanne Fri 25-Nov-22 08:21:56

Taking on additional unplanned "work" at this time of year might not be so appealing because people are busier elsewhere. For example, DH has been offered a big money job in two weeks time, but turned it down even though he could do it.
But surely people don't just adopt a "can't be bothered" attitude if they are poor and could do with the extra cash?

Iam64 Fri 25-Nov-22 08:31:22

MerylStreep, I’m not sure Oxford Street reflects the feeling the punch people. Try Lidl or our local market

LRavenscroft Fri 25-Nov-22 08:32:39

The people who are feeling the pinch where I live are the middle earners and immigrants in low paid jobs, mostly with high food prices, raised mortgage repayments and high rents. The middle earners work long hours and the immigrants work at several jobs. Neither group has time for much beyond that. Also, a well-established older retiree may not be interested in something unfamiliar.

Sago Fri 25-Nov-22 09:24:36

Whitewavemark2

People who are feeling the pinch are probably working more than one job or longer hours and have little time or energy to attend this sort of time wasting meeting.

How rude!

It’s not a time wasting meeting, I cannot say too much but it’s regarding a utility that is vital!
Everyone moans about companies and organisations and this is a chance to give feedback.

Grannynannywanny Fri 25-Nov-22 09:38:44

Maybe I’m just not looking in the right places but I’ve never seen anything like this advertised. If I did my immediate reaction would be it’s a scam.

Presumably bank details have to be provided to receive the £50. That would be enough to put me off.

Iam64 Fri 25-Nov-22 09:47:31

I wonder if it’s more likely to appeal to the middle classes. You need confidence to apply for this kind of thing, to ‘know’ you’ll be seen as the right kind of person