Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday 27th November 2022

(62 Posts)
Michael12 Sun 27-Nov-22 05:50:23

Good Morning Everyone,
A dark and wet start here in brackley this morning.
A quiet day in I may even start to write Christmas Cards because of the Postal strikes and post over next few days.
Yesterday , Bicester was busy as to traffic where's all the money coming from .
Take Care,
Mick

grandMattie Sun 27-Nov-22 06:04:44

Good morning from E Kent. I haven’t looked out yet but the forecast is for rain for the next 48 hours.
I haven’t done any Christmas cards yet - I didn’t send any last year because of Philip’s death, this year I have the even harder task of adding DH’s to my usual letter. Horrible… “Happy Christmas and BTW DH died of cancer in July”.
Fairly quiet day yesterday. I persuaded DLto do all her work on laptop on the dining table, meaning my sitting room was free for me for a change. I made her a bag to transport easily all her “bits” including laptop.
Yes, she is very anxious about her move, but inventing extra things like the possibility of the vendor dying is just fanciful.
I have to clean the house today; her friend is coming down for 48 hours. She will be taking DL to a clinic on Tuesday.
Church early this morning, it is the first Sunday of Advent.
Have a gentle day, I hope ease for those suffering, Carpe diem 🦩🦩🦩🦩

Ailidh Sun 27-Nov-22 06:04:52

Good morning from an occasional poster.

Damp underfoot but not particularly cold here on the west coast of England.

Going to get the Christmas decorations out shortly. I used to wait until a week before Christmas Day but now I give them an airing from Advent Sunday onwards.

I hope you all have a peaceful day.

Nannagarra Sun 27-Nov-22 06:30:29

Good morning from Sefton where it is no longer raining.
DGdog has now gone home and housework is up to date; I plan to visit a local craft fair.
Have the best day possible everyone.
🍁 🍁 🍁

karmalady Sun 27-Nov-22 06:44:34

Good morning, it rained a lot here last night, a flat day, ahead not nice and sparkly

I do think I will make a courgette cake today, I have excess from my veg box. Maybe also two gooseberry crumbles to fill the small oven

A freezer tidy and sort beckons today. I watched dr zhivago yesterday. It did not grip me like the last time, when it first came out and the cinema was packed. People could manage to watch 3 hour films then

NanKate Sun 27-Nov-22 06:45:29

Good morning Mick and All.

What a truly difficult time you have had in the last two years gransMattie. However you have still managed to offer help to your DL Please don’t let her put pressure on you to extend her stay, you have gone over and beyond to give her sanctuary.

I have a small party of friends coming tomorrow. Well I thought I had and just to be sure I was completely over covid I did a lateral flow test yesterday and today and both are positive.! I’m gutted. I have immediately emailed them to try and postpone the Rummikub afternoon for a week. I hope the brandy cream will last, to go with the mince pies and stollen.

Hope you have a peaceful day.

BlueSapphire Sun 27-Nov-22 06:51:05

Good morning everyone from an overcast Northampton, but should remain dry today, thank goodness.

A very entertaining rugby match yesterday afternoon, watching my team Northampton Saints play the invitational team Barbarians. Plenty of tries scored, and plenty of points. Saints came out the winners 45-39.

Out to the cinema at lunchtime today to see the new Daniel Craig whodunit film, The Glass Onion; I enjoyed the first one, Knives Out, so am looking forward to this one.

But first, a bacon butty and a coffee, tidy up the kitchen and sitting room
Have a good Advent Sunday everyone.

Ashcombe Sun 27-Nov-22 06:51:46

Good morning from a damp but mild Torbay.

Like others, we are thinking of beginning Christmas card writing, especially as some of DH’s friends are in France. Cards to my DD1 in Australia never arrive on time, plus their wedding anniversary is one week before Christmas. This year, I’ll try Moonpig Australia.

I can only imagine how difficult the card writing will be for you, grandMattie. No clever suggestions here, I’m afraid. It’s those folk with whom contact is only made at Christmas who are the problem, I guess. Perhaps other GM grans will have ideas.

We enjoyed the Christmas Fayre at church yesterday where both of us were warmly welcomed although DH is rarely at services. This is one of the most caring churches of which I’ve ever been a member. I’m hoping to go to a service this morning, if I can be ready in time!

Every blessing to you all as we begin this season of hope. 🦩🥰✝️💐🦩

BlueBalou Sun 27-Nov-22 07:08:14

Good morning everyone, it’s another damp start here in Wiltshire.
A quiet weekend here, nothing special happening.
DH should be back from DD’s tomorrow.
Hope today goes well for you all x

Gala Sun 27-Nov-22 07:09:48

Good morning from a damp & still dark Sefton. A sunny day with a mild breeze is forecast. Hmm. We'll see.
Mince pies made yesterday & popped in freezer with a "Do not touch until Christmas week" label, much to DH's disappointment. He was warned - when they're gone, they're gone!
Meeting DS2 & family this morning at a local NT house. A stroll around the grounds, coffee & then view the Christmas decorations followed by lunch in a restaurant on the prom is planned. Looking forward to it.
Take care.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 27-Nov-22 07:28:26

Morning Mick and all

We managed to get The Imp to sleep by 8.45pm nd he slept all the way through till 7am. I love the first sleepy cuddle in the morning 🥰🥰

It is raining here in S E Essex, cup of tea and then a full English breakfast for the hungry GSs.

Once they have been collected I will put my feet up until we go out for a late Sunday Lunch.

grandMattie you have had so much sorrow over the last 18 months, be gentle on yourself. I do hope your DL appreciates all that you are doing for her?

Wishing you all a peaceful first advent Sunday 🕯️🙋‍♀️🦩

cornergran Sun 27-Nov-22 07:32:54

Morning Mick, morning All from a very soggy corner of Somerset.

We got very wet yesterday - twice. Never mind. Didn’t shrink - much as I might like to! A home day today, plan to cook a large pot of chilli to feed the freezer and us tomorrow. A roast later. The conservatory tree will come out of hibernation to greet advent. A simple white branch tree with just a few icicle type decorations I love the light reflections on the roof and windows.

Please don’t exhaust yourself with your lodgers guest grandmattie. I’m sorry, no thoughts to help you with card writing. No impetus to do any here, that’s sheer laziness on my part.

Thinking of everyone on that sand hill, hope you get to the top today and Sunday is kind to us all. .

Grammaretto Sun 27-Nov-22 07:46:32

Good morning all from DS's in Nottingham. I had hoped to mark the anniversary of DH's death by taking the family out for a meal somewhere but the teenagers are all so busy it may be better to stay home and walk the dog.
Cheaper too!

I asked about Christmas presents for the DGC and as I know the DG of a Scotland footballer I am tasked with getting an autograph! grin

What a year you have had gMattie. No time to grieve flowers

Wishing everyone a happy day.

Gingster Sun 27-Nov-22 07:49:52

Good morning all and as GG says it’s raining and dreary here in Essex.

Today we have most of the family coming for lunch, which ds2 dropped off yesterday. He was down from Hertfordshire to meet up with his brother and old pals, one of whom is 50 this weekend. 😳. I remember them all as little boys. Lovely they’ve all kept in touch. DS2 travelled around Oz with said birthday boy in their early 20’s.

All I need to do is tidy the house and set the table! 😉.

GM - a sad task for you. 💐.

Ash - glad you’re able to get out a bit and see friends. It’ll do you the world of good.

Hoping you all have a lovely day. 🌺

Pittcity Sun 27-Nov-22 07:50:54

Good morning from rainy Chichester. I didn't type that wrong.
We had to dash down to Hampshire yesterday as my Mum was ill in bed and Dad was fretting about the washing as she had been sick.
He was waiting for the GP to open on Monday to ring up about her. We called 111 and the result is that she is in hospital with pneumonia.
My sister, DH and I are now juggling two elderly parents who both still insist they are fine.
I know that a lot of you can sympathise.
Love to all 🦩 x

brook2704 Sun 27-Nov-22 07:51:24

Good morning everyone from Malaga where another warm sunny day is forecast
Such a tough time you’ve had gMattie look after yourself 💐
It’s very quiet here this morning, definitely the morning after feeling. Last nights party for the Christmas lights switch on in Calle Larios was spectacular, not usually my thing but I did enjoy the atmosphere. Apart from the beautiful Christmas lights there a light and sound show, lasers and pictures projected onto buildings etc. And to top it all the whole lot repeats every night!
Today we’re going up the coast a bit to El Palo, there’s lots of little restaurants there overlooking the beach for a lazy Sunday lunch
Hope everyone finds something to enjoy today and take care all whatever the day brings 💐

dragonfly46 Sun 27-Nov-22 08:08:01

Good morning from cloudy Leicestershire.

Mattie my thought are with you as you face another sad task.
How disappointing NanKate. I too tested positive for a long time.
Pittcity I do sympathise and as an only child I faced the burden alone. I do hope you Mum feels better soon.

amselerin Sun 27-Nov-22 08:08:52

Good morning Mick and all from sunny, crispy Lueneburg. I have decorated my house (lounge) for the 1. Advent. This first candle is going to be lit on the advent wreath. The 4th candle is going to be lit on the last Sunday before Xmas. I couldn`t get the ladder into the loft down to fetch the Xmas crib down. More exercises to strengthen my arms will have to be done. I shall cook my favorite meal in winter times today: kale cabbage, smoked meat and and a Bregenwurst (slighty smoked sausage). A few mince pies and Xmas biscuits will be baked tomorrow. I was (am) lazy and bought special Xmas biscuits.
Later I am going to visit a friend who is in a home and we shall take a stroll into the lovely Xmas town and have some Gluehwein/punch. Poor Waldi doesn`t venture out of my garden any more and she is walking very slow. Eating and sleeping is the order of the day for her.

Enjoy your first of advent and big hugs to all of you with worries. Take care.

Marydoll Sun 27-Nov-22 08:09:12

Good morning all from a finally dry Glasgow.
Yesterday it rained non stop.

I too love Advent, last night we had had Advent hymns and lit the Advent wreath at the Vigil Mass. It certainly lifted my spirits.

I am giving church a miss this morning. I've been chasing my tail people for weeks on a Sunday morning to complete disclosures and am getting ratty at their obstructiveness, so I have decided to have a break today. Discretion is the better part of valour. 😉
DD has offered to take me to the Christmas market in the local garden centre, if I feel up to it. I would really like to go
I have no voice again, that will make everyone's day. 😂

Yesterday turned out to be a very pleasant day.
DS2 (the Prodigal son) turned up unexpectedly with DIL.
I cannot believe they are going for a twenty week scan on Tuesday. Time has flown by.
DH and I cannot believe how excited DS2 is, he is usually the Quiet man.
They had been to visit Dollie, along with DD and SIL, to drop of her birthday presents.
Apparently she mistakenly thought her gran and papa were also coming and was not a happy bunny, when we failed to appear!

I received wonderful news last night, my friend who had been on a ventilator was discharged from hospital last night. It is a miracle. 😪
My thoughts are with Ginny's DD and hoping Greyduster's op went well.

I admire how you have gone above and beyond for your DL, GM, but I also have some sympathy for her.
I cannot imagine how I would feel, being an elderly amputee, with no family to support me and moving house into the bargain. I too would be anxious and thinking of worst case scenarios.

Sorry your plans have been scuppered Kate.💐

Wishing you all a pleasant Sunday.

amselerin Sun 27-Nov-22 08:10:37

I am so pleased to hear that the pavement outside the Manchester station has been cleaned Urms. xx

Anniebach Sun 27-Nov-22 08:11:07

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Chrissielou Sun 27-Nov-22 08:11:58

A damp but mild start here in Oxfordshire. It's been raining in the night, the garden and the fields beyond look very wet.
I am doing some Christmas prep today, making Jamie Oliver's special gravy, and vegan equivalent too. This will be popped in the freezer until needed.
A wet dog walk and some housework later. DD1 finished all her chemo related meds yesterday, 3 months since her last session. She is recovering well and swimming twice a week to gain her strength, mentally and physically. Its close to a year since she was diagnosed. How fortunate she has been, but what a hard journey. I'm very conscious of others who are suffering and my thoughts are with you.

Marydoll Sun 27-Nov-22 08:12:16

I think I meant Ginster, not Ginny, I always get them mixed up.

Pittcity, I hope your mum improves soon.

monk08 Sun 27-Nov-22 08:15:36

Good morning all from a dull and damp Black country.
Pittcity hope your Mum is on the road to recovery soon that's the fourth person I've heard speak of pneumonia within the last 2 days, there seems a lot about.
No plans today may start another book.
Roast pork for dinner.
Enjoy your Sunday whatever your plans and may you all find some 🌞.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 27-Nov-22 08:17:22

Morning all from West Oxfordshire. I seem to have slept in! Not much happening today apart from collecting a roast dinner from the restaurant where we should have been having lunch today! OH’s cold is still awful. I may pop into Waitrose and return a door mat which is too big and a handbag which is grim. I could start writing Christmas cards. At least I printed off address labels the other day. So a quiet day I think. Hope you have a peaceful Sunday.