Gransnet forums

Chat

Since it’s getting so cold, I’ve just made a lovely bird pudding

(16 Posts)
Witzend Tue 06-Dec-22 18:13:09

With a block of lard that’s been in the fridge for ages (melted, obvs.) porridge oats, some breadcrumbs that have been in the freezer for ages, suet pellets that were a freebie from the bird food co., some of the dried mealworms we so often forget to put out, and the remains of a bag of sultanas, a tad dried up, but I don’t suppose the birds will complain.

We have 3 hanging feeders, but this will be for the ground feeders, blackbirds and robins, etc.

henetha Tue 06-Dec-22 18:22:36

They will love that. Sounds tasty. Mine have had left over rice today plus bird seed and meal worms.

Callistemon21 Tue 06-Dec-22 18:29:18

Well, thank goodness!

I saw the heading and thought it might be some kind of exotic dessert or alternatively a pigeon and partridge suet pudding!

We've just bought more seed and mealworms and I could put out some nuts for the squirrel (yes, I know they're vermin).

When I clear out the cupboard I make bird cakes with dripping left from roasting.

eazybee Tue 06-Dec-22 18:55:46

It sounds like Roald Dahl, Bird Pie!

BlueBelle Tue 06-Dec-22 18:58:41

I thought you were making it for yourselves

swampy1961 Tue 06-Dec-22 19:24:22

I do this with any residue fat from roasting, frying etc. Just soak up everything with porridge oats and put it out. It's always gone the next time I look out!!

Auntieflo Tue 06-Dec-22 19:29:25

Callistemon, I also thought we were in for a new recipe that I could try 🫣.
It is so cold that we need a rib sticking pud as well.

CanadianGran Tue 06-Dec-22 19:29:40

I was wondering as well... thinking it had Bird's custard as an ingredient... which is actually not a bad idea.

We had put out a suet block for the birds, but we tend to get a large flock of starlings (invasive species here) that gobble everything up within hours and leave a huge mess.

So for now we are just keeping the hummingbird feeders up, and taking them in at night if it is below freezing. Some species of hummers migrate, but Anna's Hummingbirds stay as residents for the winter.

Callistemon21 Tue 06-Dec-22 19:37:51

Auntieflo

*Callistemon*, I also thought we were in for a new recipe that I could try 🫣.
It is so cold that we need a rib sticking pud as well.

Oh yes, Mum's jam roly poly and custard!

But shaped like a swan 🦢

Purpledaffodil Tue 06-Dec-22 19:41:34

CanadianGran. Deeply envious you have hummingbirds. I’ve seen them at my brother’s house on Vancouver Island and in Barbados. Wish they would come to UK. Our climate is similar to VI. 😀

Kalu Tue 06-Dec-22 20:18:42

I thought…..grouse pie.

I make bird cake as I call it, with melted lard, porridge oats, sunflower seeds and mixed bird food. Pack it into half coconut shells which I hang around the garden. Robins especially love this. Thankfully we don’t have the starling problem we once had in Glasgow city centre * CanadianGran*.can’t remember by which method but the City Council cleared them out due to them covering beautiful Victorian architecture with so many droppings. Our nuisance very messy birds are pigeons who make one awful mess with their droppings. Garden furniture seems to be their favourite target in summer. Grrr!
DD2 in Brisbane has videoed humming birds and a few other, exotic to us, birds who arrive in her garden to share with me. So beautiful.

Callistemon21 Tue 06-Dec-22 20:26:56

DD2 in Brisbane has videoed humming birds and a few other, exotic to us, birds who arrive in her garden to share with me. So beautiful

One of our DD has a honeyeater nest in the garden. Her FIL had one in the garage, they got in and out through a high window 🙂

ExDancer Tue 06-Dec-22 20:30:51

I once made a similar thing and hung it up - it looked great. But it was aa hot summer's day and it melted.
That put me back in my place!

Kalu Tue 06-Dec-22 21:28:00

Had to Google the honeyeater Calli beautiful markings. Your DD will probably have seen the gorgeous Galah pink cockatoos there too. If only we could have those instead of drab pigeons. 😄

Urmstongran Tue 06-Dec-22 21:35:14

Witzend I was with you as far as ‘suet pellets’ before I realised it was a pudding for the birds! I actually thought it was a pudding for people called ‘birds pudding’ till that point. Although the lard did make me feel a bit ugh! Then thought ‘no, stick with it, remember Chorley cakes’. A delicacy in themselves dear Southerners.
😊

Callistemon21 Tue 06-Dec-22 21:47:52

Kalu

Had to Google the honeyeater Calli beautiful markings. Your DD will probably have seen the gorgeous Galah pink cockatoos there too. If only we could have those instead of drab pigeons. 😄

Oh yes - but don't call anyone a flamin' Galah, Kalu!

DD is astonished at the size of the pigeons in our garden.