Gransnet forums

Chat

“Mum wants to know if you can spare a cup of sugar please?”

(53 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 07-Dec-22 15:34:38

This was the mantra of my childhood, although the question could also encompass a shilling for the gas/electric, a couple of ciggies, a spoonful of coffee, or a pound “until Friday”.

We lived hand to mouth when I was a child, but there were a few neighbours who could usually be relied upon to help out until pay day. Later, as a completely broke single mum, I never asked anyone for help (although it was given unasked for by my local church) and we simply went without at times.

With people struggling so much nowadays, I wonder if there will be a resurgence of neighbours and friends helping out - I know many families already do - or whether foodbanks have taken the place of the kind neighbour?

biglouis Wed 07-Dec-22 15:41:09

Yes I gew up in a neighbourhood like that. However I believe people now often do not want to "become involved" with neighbours. Having once got enmeshed with an elderly neighbour and finding myself functioning as her PA I now keep to myself so I dont get lumbered again.

kittylester Wed 07-Dec-22 15:47:18

Nice to see you GA.

I am really proud of our village in that we have warm spaces open every single day of the week - offering a place to sit in the warm, companionship and refreshments. We also have places offering free (or heavily discounted) warm lunches. We have a food collection point and a distribution point.

Our village pulled together in the lock downs and many initiatives were started that are still ongoing.

So, I have high hopes that no one would go without. Maybe not quite the same as years ago though.

GreenGran78 Wed 07-Dec-22 15:53:11

My next door neighbour came to me for a plaster for her cut finger recently. I don't want it returned though 😀
We are all good neighbours on my road, but people are more likely to ask for the loan of a tool, rather than food. I do remember borrowing some milk, ages ago, when unexpected visitors had used up my supply.

MiniMoon Wed 07-Dec-22 16:02:37

I found myself without an onion recently. My neighbours are very good and let me have one. I don't make a habit of asking for anything from them, but my husband does their gardening as a kindness so, on this occasion, I didn't think they would mind.

henetha Wed 07-Dec-22 16:07:35

We kept lots of chickens when I was young so we gave eggs to various neighbours. In return we got cabbages or carrots etc. I don't think this happens much these days.
But my neighbours here are friendly and we are mostly a happy community.

rosie1959 Wed 07-Dec-22 16:56:50

A wonderful post on one of our local Facebook pages yesterday.
A local lady had been visiting our Smyths toys store there were two vans being loaded with toys she spoke to the men who said they were from the travelling community who had raised funds for children who may not get toys at Christmas. The vans contained 22k pounds worth of toys they were then off to Tesco to buy school uniforms for those in need.
She explained she was trying to raise funds for children in our town they immediately agreed to help.
An act of immense thoughtfulness which deserves grateful thanks.

MerylStreep Wed 07-Dec-22 17:15:02

People are always borrowing my OH. Mr fix it extraordinaire 😄

Fleurpepper Wed 07-Dec-22 17:18:52

MerylStreep

People are always borrowing my OH. Mr fix it extraordinaire 😄

Oooh, can I borrow him, please smile

Again, I think it is partly regional. Much more likely to happen anywhere North of Watford, than in London or Surrey, etc.

nadateturbe Wed 07-Dec-22 17:31:11

We were poor. I absolutely hated when I was sent to borrow. Very bad memory. I do hope people don't get to this stage. We must support our foodbanks.

grannysyb Wed 07-Dec-22 17:34:19

I live o a corner and, since the pandemic there are two WhatsApp groups. One road has organised weekly collections for one of the many food banks in our area. I have just wrapped four children's presents and put them in the box, along with a box of chocolates, hopefully someone will have a slightly better Christmas. What is so awful is that I am fortunate enough to live in what appears to be a comfortable London area, but there are pockets of poverty everywhere.

Hetty58 Wed 07-Dec-22 17:42:05

I grew up in a very affluent area. Still, most people had excess fruit and veg from their gardens - and would put it out on the front wall in a wooden box. We (or they) could regularly collect a few apples, tomatoes, carrots etc. on our way out or home.
We never took more than needed, mindful of leaving some for others. Can you imagine the vandalism and mess that would become of it now?

Cherrytree59 Wed 07-Dec-22 18:45:57

In our village there is a collection point in the front of the methodist church .
Started during covid .
Bread , cakes and vegetables are left by local shops and people can help themselves.
I have never taken any, as I am mindful that that others may need it more.
No vandalism or mess.

Oreo Wed 07-Dec-22 18:50:08

kittylester

Nice to see you GA.

I am really proud of our village in that we have warm spaces open every single day of the week - offering a place to sit in the warm, companionship and refreshments. We also have places offering free (or heavily discounted) warm lunches. We have a food collection point and a distribution point.

Our village pulled together in the lock downs and many initiatives were started that are still ongoing.

So, I have high hopes that no one would go without. Maybe not quite the same as years ago though.

Must be a big village kittylester
Apart from maybe a village hall what kind of places are offering a warm space and discounted lunches?

dahlia Wed 07-Dec-22 18:54:07

There has recently been a big basket of windfall apples left for anyone to take, free, in the centre of our village. Lovely Granny Smiths, too - I took four and made a pie. We moved here exactly a year ago, and love the true community spirit of the place. I do, however, remember visiting my Nana in Newcastle, and she and her neighbours provided real support when someone was in need, even though they didn't have a penny themselves. I, too, think this was more of a trend "up north".

Oreo Wed 07-Dec-22 18:55:22

We were very poor growing up but never asked for anything off a neighbour.I don’t suppose they had any more than us anyway.No neighbour where I’ve ever lived asked for anything either.What we do, and neighbours do is put any fruit or veg in a box outside that we don’t need, and is free to take.That always works well.

Nannytopsy Wed 07-Dec-22 19:03:58

There are still the last of the windfall apples in bags for anyone to take for free in our village. I have put out spare seedlings and there are often vegetables going free. A few people sell
plants, eggs and potatoes.

kittylester Wed 07-Dec-22 20:30:17

It is a big village, oreo. We have 3 churches, the library and the scouts offering warm spaces with free refreshments. A cafe, a pub and the Conservative club are all offering heavily discounted (or free) lunches.

We don't have a village hall.

nadateturbe Wed 07-Dec-22 20:47:30

Oreo

We were very poor growing up but never asked for anything off a neighbour.I don’t suppose they had any more than us anyway.No neighbour where I’ve ever lived asked for anything either.What we do, and neighbours do is put any fruit or veg in a box outside that we don’t need, and is free to take.That always works well.

That's a lovely idea Oreo. I sometimes have food I'm not going to use, but people here would think I was weird if I left it at the gate.

Jaxjacky Wed 07-Dec-22 20:52:36

Hetty58 still happens here, cheap or free garden produce, 7 miles from Winchester. We have a warm space in our local Parish Council building and food bank collections.
Three neighbours who’d help out, called on one a few times, we look out for each other, parcels taken in, houses watched if they’re away.
Got one grumpy neighbour too though!

Yammy Wed 07-Dec-22 21:04:24

I borrowed an orange when I got the Christmas cake started and realised I didn't have one.
I also got asked for lard which I didn't have so brought some in with the shopping. People with extra veg or apples put them out on the grass verge and if your quick off the mark you can get free-range eggs with a small donation.
DH gets asked for driveway consultations or shown the odd spot or two. Before we moved he did get asked for resuscitation, they must have thought he was Jesus the poor chap had died during Coronation Street and it was during the ten o'clock news when they asked for help.

Esmay Wed 07-Dec-22 21:10:49

Ive known my neighbour fir over 25 years -before her children were born .
My neighbour and I often borrow items from each other .
I probably have a better stocked food cupboard - probably because I really hate running out of anything - so she borrows more food from me than I do from her .
And she's welcome .

I've borrowed tools on occasion .
Her husband has helped me a lot .
If I'm stuck lifting something she'll help me .
I'm about to ask her to lift something out of my shed .

I've done her garden and regularly planted out her flower pots .
We text if we are out shopping - do you need anything ?

She can rely on me and I can rely on her .

I think that we are fortunate and possibly exceptional .

kittylester Wed 07-Dec-22 21:31:03

It's common for people here to leave produce on the front too.

Jaffacake2 Thu 08-Dec-22 06:35:55

We didn't ask for food from neighbours as it was a poor area and people didn't have much. But there was a lovely couple who owned a bungalow at the edge of our council estate and they let me call round if my mum was taken ill, which was frequently. I would knock on their door and ask them to phone the doctor as " mum's back had gone " . This meant she was lying on the kitchen floor unable to move screaming. She must have had spinal disc problems. The doctor would come round and put his knee in the small of her back and click it back. It was terrifying as a small child to watch. Then she would rest in bed and be better by teatime.
The couple were so kind and the husband always gave me a chocolate biscuit whilst his wife was on the phone to the doctors.

BigBertha1 Thu 08-Dec-22 07:14:00

Lots of community activity here 're food bank, very busy local churches of all denominations, library and civic centre are warm spaces. Very locally out housing estates Facebook is the go to place for help. When DH lopped the top of his finger off I asked where the nearest Accident centre was and apart from immediate information my letter box was stuffed with new dressings for him. People are always giving away things on there. Santa's sleigh came last night. They do not take money just good for the good bank so we leave a bag of shopping in the foot path and it's whisked away.