Gransnet forums

Chat

All New Night Owls šŸ¦‰šŸŒ™ ā˜•ļø

(283 Posts)
FannyCornforth Mon 02-Jan-23 05:51:52

Hello smile
We havenā€™t had a Night Owls thread for ages, so I thought Iā€™d start one.
I know that there are quite a few of us about in the wee small hours, and it can be a lonely time.
So here it is.
I look forward to chatting in the nights and weeks to come x

NotAGran55 Mon 02-Jan-23 05:53:28

Good morning Fanny šŸ¦‰

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Jan-23 06:00:02

ā€˜Morning NotAGran! Thank you for joining.
I know you love your perfume, did you get any for Christmas?
Iā€™ve recently been buying far too much. Iā€™ve spent a fortune on sample sizes alone.

NotAGran55 Mon 02-Jan-23 06:18:01

Not for Christmas but I did re-buy Shazam! from 4160 Tuesdays but before.
I had hovered over it on the website without buying and a couple of hours later they offered me a deal - 50ml for the 30ml price šŸ‘.
Along with being a small British company they refill the bottles too and do reduced packaging etc so I do like to patronise them.

Have you got a new one recently?

NotAGran55 Mon 02-Jan-23 06:19:08

Oops just seen about the samples!
Anything grab you?

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Jan-23 06:33:22

I bought a ā€˜box setā€™ of Penhaligonā€™s finest samples because I was blown away by the amazing website and the gorgeous packaging.
I wanted to love one, but they really arenā€™t my thing at all. Theyā€™ve all got something in common in them - and I donā€™t like it.
Iā€™ve bought Shay & Blue Salt Caramel and Tonka Angelica (I bought this blind as I love vanilla and almond) but despite being called edp they arenā€™t strong and donā€™t last.
The best (and cheapest) surprise was Covet by Sarah Jessica Parker.
Really unusual. Fresh and cosy at the same time and a gorgeous bottle.
Have you tried anything by Juliette Has A Gun?

NotAGran55 Mon 02-Jan-23 06:57:03

No not tried any of them.
So many lovely fragrances donā€™t last long do they. Ironically the ā€˜scrubbersā€™ do šŸ¤£

My last sample set of Oud by Escentual was lovely. I recently discovered them on the Perfumista thread on Mumsnet.

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Jan-23 07:43:46

The scrubbers! šŸ˜†

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Jan-23 07:48:43

Iā€™m just looking at 4160 Tuesdays.
I really like the sound of ā€˜The Sexiest Scent on the Planetā€™ (gourmand woods) but Iā€™m not keen on its name!

NotAGran55 Mon 02-Jan-23 08:19:55

It is a lovely scent imo. I had it in a sample box. They do go in for interesting names!
Iā€™m just on the PP website but the two I want are OOS šŸ„ŗ

JoelCrane Tue 03-Jan-23 11:15:13

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Georgesgran Wed 04-Jan-23 03:28:29

Just going to bed now FC. Frighteningly windy here just now - hope thereā€™s no damage.

Really not that tired, but Iā€™ve got to get my body clock back to UK time. One of DHā€™s friends is calling for coffee at 10am, then I need to ring an electrician.
A bank visit later to move money to pay the expected (astronomical) credit card bills!

FannyCornforth Wed 04-Jan-23 03:55:26

Hello GG smile
Where have you been to?

MawtheMerrier Wed 04-Jan-23 08:42:45

I listened to most of ā€œLessons in Chemistryā€ on BBC Sounds during a wakeful night.
Itā€™s this weeks Book at Bedtime and I do recommend it - but not at the expense of sleeping! šŸ˜“

FannyCornforth Wed 04-Jan-23 08:48:54

Ooh, thanks for the recommendation Maw
I shall give it a go

BlueSapphire Wed 04-Jan-23 16:24:42

May pop in during the early hours after midnight, as I am always awake then.

FannyCornforth Wed 04-Jan-23 16:27:55

Probably see you then Blue, but I hope that you have a good nightā€™s sleep

NotAGran55 Wed 04-Jan-23 19:27:15

ā€˜Lessons in Chemistryā€™ was one of my favourite books last year.

MrsKen33 Wed 04-Jan-23 20:23:49

Part time night owl. Some nights bad some good, though I can never ascertain why. So I may see you all or not. Good night anyway. Gob Bless.

Georgesgran Thu 05-Jan-23 03:01:21

I went to New York for Christmas FC with DD2, her DH and little one! It was Bedlam - 3 adults, a baby, a pushchair, a wheelchair, 4 suitcases, 4 pieces of hand luggage and a baby seat ( just for the taxi to and from JFK!). All from Newcastle, via Heathrow, where we were stuck on the tarmac for 2 hours. In NY, it was beyond cold, SinL had such a heavy cold and was so ill, I gave him my room so he could rest and I slept with DD2 and DHS2! To cap it all, BA cancelled our flight home, so we had the expense of another night there and an American Airlines (the absolute worse) flight back. We all love New York, but I donā€™t think weā€™ll be going back again like that, although SinL is off there on his own next month and DD2 is booked for July with her BF!
Iā€™ve had the start of cystitis today - it was getting so bad, Iā€™d decided to ring my Surgery, but I found some of those cranberry granules things and they seem to be helping. DD2 brought her little dog here last evening, as her cleaners are there today, so Iā€™ll get him out for a walk before I take him home.
DD1 has Covid again and is quite poorly this time - luckily her DH is off work for the rest of the week, so she doesnā€™t need help with DGS1 and says I should stay away.
Bogged down by lots of little jobs since I got back too.
Always a bit of a night owl though.

How are you doing?

Mollygo Thu 05-Jan-23 03:29:35

GG thatā€™s not a good start to 2023. I hope the cranberry granules continue to help. Cystitis is such a painful problem. Sorry to hear about your DD2ā€™s Covid, but at least you donā€™t have to risk that.
Iā€™ve just finished a book that was keeping me company this morning, so I thought Iā€™d have a drink and a quick look at GN, and hurray-thereā€™s a Night Owls thread.
Hopefully though I might get to sleep now.

Alioop Thu 05-Jan-23 05:29:40

Morning, been wakened as usual from after 3am. I've Sjorgens disease so pain wakes me or reflux with the digestive problems it causes too.
The dog is snoring very loudly, at least she's having a good sleep. I go to bed about 10pm as I know I'll be wakened again from 3am onwards. I'd my sister staying at Christmas and I couldn't get up for my wanderings or watch a bit of TV for the fear of wakening her. They were long nights staring up at the ceiling, after I exhausted GN..
GG I find Effecitrate dissolving tablets great for cystitis, I always have a tube of them in the house. Hope you feel better soon.
Right, I'm going to have a go at word association, etc. Have a nice day today..

Georgesgran Thu 05-Jan-23 05:40:22

Thank you for your good wishes. Iā€™m surprised the over the counter stuff seems to work. Itā€™s decades since I had a full-blown episode of cystitis which I remember was horrendous and I had to take sick leave, etc
Unfortunately, one of the side effects of drinking extra liquid has had me up to the loo several times - here we go again! X

MrsKen33 Thu 05-Jan-23 06:01:17

Well that wasnā€™t so bad. Asleep by ten, woke at 2:30 for the bathroom but directly back to sleep. Woken up just now. I dreamt all night though. Very busy, colourful dreams but not at all unpleasant. Strange this sleep thing isnā€™t it?

FannyCornforth Thu 05-Jan-23 06:14:48

ā€˜Morning all.
GG blimey, your NY trip sounds absolutely exhausting!
Iā€™ve always been slightly obsessed with the idea of NY, but I know that it wonā€™t happen.
It must be so exciting, I always had an idea of living there for a few months.
Iā€™ve always had a bit of a thing about the birth of NY, all of the building that went on, and the Gilded Age.
Also NY in the 70s and 80s (probably a Cagney & Lacey thing šŸ˜)
I hope that your cystitis gets better soon. Itā€™s the most horrible feeling.

Nice to see you Molly and Alioop. I have a snorer of a dog too.

Ken I have absolutely bonkers dreams every night. Usually unpleasant unfortunately. They come from a place of anxiety.
Hark at me. The voice of positivity!