Gransnet forums

Chat

A host of golden daffodils....

(19 Posts)
Rosina Sun 29-Jan-23 10:51:23

A few days ago I bought two bunches of the £1 daffodils that are sold from a box in tight buds. This morning I came downstairs to the magical scent of daffodils - they have blossomed. Looking outside, the daffs under the cherry tree are beginning to grow, and then I spotted snowdrops in the wet, cold earth that have come up overnight it seems. What an unexpected and lovely start to a grey , chilly Sunday. Gransnetters, I hope you all find something today to lift your heart. x

Yammy Sun 29-Jan-23 10:58:06

We have snowdrops and hellebore buds and tiny pink flowers that should flower around april. Lots of daffodil shoots. I bought a bunch of daffodils and well over a week later they had not opened I gave the end a kind of nip to break the casing and now they have opened.

Witzend Sun 29-Jan-23 10:59:22

£1 a (small) bunch of Cornish daffodils in Asda the other day. They don’t last long, but such a lovely, cheering sign of spring.

Kate1949 Sun 29-Jan-23 11:09:00

They are so cheerful. Ours are from Aldi.

HeavenLeigh Sun 29-Jan-23 11:12:38

Beautiful Kate there’s something just something about daffs I love them

Smileless2012 Sun 29-Jan-23 11:48:22

I bought my first daffs this year on Friday. I love them too, makes me look forward to spring.

Oldbat1 Sun 29-Jan-23 12:42:01

Very impressed with mine from Lidl which I think cost 89p.

dragonfly46 Sun 29-Jan-23 12:43:41

I got mine from Lidl too and they are lovely.

Joseanne Sun 29-Jan-23 12:48:16

I think these are Waitrose. A little thank you gift someone dropped by for me.

I saw clumps of snowdrops in the fields this morning. Spring is arriving.

Georgesgran Sun 29-Jan-23 13:14:09

I got my first lot from Aldi - 89p but only 8 stems in one bunch and 9 in the other and very small flowers. Expecting better things from the 2x£1 bunches I bought in M&S yesterday. I hate yellow, but daffodils in the house is the exception.

Georgesgran Sun 29-Jan-23 13:21:20

Picture didn’t post.

Harris27 Sun 29-Jan-23 13:27:35

It was my birthday on Friday and I bought myself a little bunch of these in aldi lovely! I did get other presents just to clarify!😂

Norah Sun 29-Jan-23 13:33:30

So pretty.

Apart from buying cheery yellow, I love looking out in the garden and watching flowers spring up out of the soil.

We have enormous kitchen windows, almost floor to ceiling the entire outside wall. Early morning is lovely view after opening the romans.

ShazzaKanazza Sun 29-Jan-23 15:08:57

I walked into the kitchen this morning to the sight of my two bunches in full bloom yesterday they were all in bud they really made me smile.

peli Sun 29-Jan-23 15:54:26

These started last week - I smile when I see them!

JackyB Sun 29-Jan-23 16:00:35

You will all be pleased to know that we get English daffs here in Germany (the 10 in a box for €1 or €2 (can't remember the price and haven't seen any this year yet.

However, they're unfortunately not as good as the Dutch ones. You can't tell when they're so tightly closed how they're going to turn out.

Snowdrops in the garden are abundant and crocuses are peeping through, too.

What cheered me up though was seeing my 3 DGD this weekend. Hadn't seen them since November so had lots of Christmas presents to give them - one has even had a birthday since, and the eldest will be 8 next month, so took birthday presents as well!

Sara1954 Sun 29-Jan-23 16:22:18

I’ve always got a couple of vases of daffodils this time of the year, £1 a bunch from M&S, so cheerful.

Namsnanny Mon 30-Jan-23 12:16:43

I love flowers in the house this time of year.
So much so I treat myself to several bunches from the Scilly Isles.
This was last years.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 30-Jan-23 14:48:35

We have three aconites!! I know a lot of you will have them, but our garden is very cold and we're quite far north, so we're happy!

A £1 bunch of daffodils from Tesco is cheering us up too. smile