Gransnet forums

Chat

What should I do with my granny's engagement ring?

(65 Posts)
singingnutty Sat 04-Feb-23 23:37:15

I have a dilemma concerning the engagement ring which belonged to my grandmother (my Dad's mum) which she gave to me, I think because I was her first grandchild. It's not a very valuable ring and in fact I would never wear it because her marriage was not a happy one - my grandfather, who I never met, left her for another woman when my father was eighteen. She did play quite a large part in my life when I was a small child - we lived a few streets away from her. However, I came to think that the ring ought to have gone to her daughter, my aunt. When my mother died I inherited her rings and thought that was very fitting. None of these rings would be worth a lot of money and I would never sell them anyway. I heard a few days ago that my aunt has died at the age of 98. She has 3 daughters and some grandchildren. I feel that I ought to pass the engagement ring on to the daughter who has looked after her for the last few years since she had a stroke. When I have talked about my dilemma with friends they have said that it was my grandmother's choice to give the ring to me, so I should not feel guilty about it. I don't have daughters to pass the ring on to. Should I keep it, or give it to my cousin?

crazyH Sat 04-Feb-23 23:46:58

singingnuttyshe wanted you to have it, so just keep it and think of her. I’m sure she would have some of her jewellery to her daughter, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

crazyH Sat 04-Feb-23 23:47:17

Would have left

paddyann54 Sat 04-Feb-23 23:57:56

My mother left her rings to me,I sent them to my cousins daughters who had never met her and whose mother her sister,had died young when they were still in primary school.
They were delighted to get them as a link with the auntie they never knew.
I'm sure your mother would be happy with you passing them back to the person you believe should have had them originally

Dibbydod Sun 05-Feb-23 00:01:21

Your grandmother gave the ring to you because that’s what she wanted to do , it wouldn’t be nice to pass it on to someone else , so don’t worry about it , just cherish it .

Chestnut Sun 05-Feb-23 00:04:43

Don't worry about what you should do, just what you want to do. If you would feel happier giving the ring to her daughter then offer it to her. There is no right or wrong in this, just do whatever you prefer to do.

VioletSky Sun 05-Feb-23 00:07:12

This ring is now yours to pass om

Of it feels right give it to the cousin

fancythat Sun 05-Feb-23 06:45:01

I agree with Diddydod.

If you pass it on to one of the three daughters, you might start trouble in some way, amongst that family.

LRavenscroft Sun 05-Feb-23 09:19:14

Do you have a beautiful box that you could turn into a memory box for the future? Perhaps you could put your grandmother's ring into it with a date and memory on a piece of paper and put it in an envelope. The lady gave it to you with love, could you keep it with love in the box and visit it from time to time? I am sure her daughters will sort out what they and their daughters would like from her current legacy. My uncle made a rocking horse for my daughter and when his daughters found out they were really angry that he had not made one for their children. Sometimes the past is best kept silently in a personal memory keepsake. Are we really responsible for how other people may feel? It's yours, keep it and remember.

Grantanow Sun 05-Feb-23 13:04:31

Keep it, sell it or give it away. Those seem the main options.

Mollygo Sun 05-Feb-23 13:18:43

Do what you feel is right.
I inherited some rings which the giver said were to be shared with my sisters. They didn’t want them and gave them back to me.
I’d followed instructions, but once the rings were in my sisters’ hands it was up to them what they did with them.

Oreo Sun 05-Feb-23 13:20:39

Chestnut

Don't worry about what you should do, just what you want to do. If you would feel happier giving the ring to her daughter then offer it to her. There is no right or wrong in this, just do whatever you prefer to do.

Exactly this.

1987H2001M2002Inanny Sun 05-Feb-23 13:46:53

I have been wearing my Grans wedding ring since 1996 when her last daughter died and family possessions were shared.It sits inbetween my engagement and wedding rings .I had it dated and they said 1940s.As she and Grandad married in 1905 it must have been a second ring so I am left wondering what happened to the frtirst one.It will go to my own Grandaughter one day. It brings happy memories.

Yammy Sun 05-Feb-23 13:54:11

My Gran's engagement ring didn't have stones in it,it had a buckle engraved at the front, she called it a" keeper ring" and wore it as her engagement ring.
She was engaged during WW! so maybe my grandad could not afford diamonds as he was in the Army, though quite a few of her friends of about the same age all had Keeprs rather than engagement, which makes me wonder why?

JaneJudge Sun 05-Feb-23 13:58:12

Chestnut

this ^

Ilovecheese Sun 05-Feb-23 14:04:55

1987H2001M2002Inanny

I have been wearing my Grans wedding ring since 1996 when her last daughter died and family possessions were shared.It sits inbetween my engagement and wedding rings .I had it dated and they said 1940s.As she and Grandad married in 1905 it must have been a second ring so I am left wondering what happened to the frtirst one.It will go to my own Grandaughter one day. It brings happy memories.

My own mother replaced her wedding ring because the original had worn so thin, it was incorporated into the new one. That is maybe what happened with your Granny

Carenza123 Sun 05-Feb-23 14:14:27

I say, do what YOU want to do with the ring. But rather than keep it lying in a drawer, unused, a female family member may like it and best of all - use it. I inherited a lovely ring from my mother in law, my daughter also admired it. Rather than leave it to her in my will, I wanted to pass it on to her while I am living, so I can see her enjoying wearing it.

foxie48 Sun 05-Feb-23 14:57:15

I agree with Carenza123 I think it's very sad to leave things unloved and unworn in a drawer, my daughter was left lots of jewelry by her grandma, they weren't her style so she's had them repurposed into something she does wear.

Devorgilla Sun 05-Feb-23 14:58:04

It's yours now to do what you feel is best. As it's a ring, it can't do any harm even if you leave it in your jewellery box until you die and your children decide who gets it. As it could cause problems between three daughters I'd leave it to the one you mention or to a (great)granddaughter of the house. That way it has a family connection. You can't rule from the grave. Once your possessions move to new owners it becomes their property and decision.

Callistemon21 Sun 05-Feb-23 15:29:13

Chestnut

I agree with Chestnut and others who say something similar.

It's yours now, to do whatever you want with.
You could leave it in your will to her or her DD if she has one if you decide to keep it in the meantime.

We had a similar situation and it was all sorted out happily although, luckily, it wasn't my decision to make.

Callistemon21 Sun 05-Feb-23 15:32:07

I remember reading posts where people said they couldn't possibly wear their mother's engagement ring.

I do, I'm sure she'd be happy to know that, especially since it was nearly sent to the charity shop by mistake!

Grandma70s Sun 05-Feb-23 16:03:27

I wear my mother’s engagement ring, and also my grandmother’s.

nadateturbe Sun 05-Feb-23 16:09:56

Chestnut

This..

Thorntrees Sun 05-Feb-23 16:16:01

I inherited rings from my Mum and an Aunt, I do wear my Mums engagement and eternity rings but all the others I took to local jeweller who assayed there worth and with the money I was able to buy a lovely Pearl dropper that I wear every day. It reminds me of my dear Mum and Aunt and will go to my daughter eventually and hopefully my granddaughter in time.

Ali23 Sun 05-Feb-23 17:05:14

I would give it to her, I think. It would be a token of appreciation for all that she did and is a part of her family history.
When my mum died we split her jewellery between us and i had her ring cleaned up and repaired and gave it to my daughter the following xmas. It’s precious to her, but not to me.