Gransnet forums

Chat

Night owls?

(59 Posts)
Gingster Tue 21-Mar-23 04:16:35

Is anyone else awake?
I’ve been awake since 2.30 and I’m fed up with tossing and turning.
My cold is worse at night with blocked sinus and sneezing and coughing.
I don’t want to disturb little DGD or the dog so i can’t go and make a cuppa.
Roll on morning but I know I’ll feel like ‘death’.

NotSpaghetti Tue 21-Mar-23 04:33:44

Yes. But trying not to be!

grandMattie Tue 21-Mar-23 05:22:06

Join the club! I’m usually awake from 3ish every morning, try to go back to sleep until half 4ish and give up. My only luxury is to have a post-prandial nap, if I can…
Sorry about your cold. if your DGD is disturbed, she’ll soon go back to sleep, in my experience.

BlueBelle Tue 21-Mar-23 05:43:14

I m awake on and off in the night but I m happily awake I just listen to the radio or read on here or just relax and the sleep will come back If you worry and toss and turn sleep gets further and further away
I d go and make your cuppa gingster I bet she won’t wake, or in future take a flask up to bed with you
I now see my wakefulness as part f my life and not something to fight, that’s just me though

Georgesgran Tue 21-Mar-23 05:49:34

You’ve a lot in your mind Gingster because of your DD’s health - it’s not easy.
I’ve got my cuppa too (plus caramel wafer, of course). Mulling over yesterday - my friend’s funeral/celebration of her life. Still a bit surreal.
I’m conscious of a sore throat and runny nose - surely not a resurrection of this never ending cold?
Blimey, it’s dawn!

NotSpaghetti Tue 21-Mar-23 06:30:18

Hope you felt able to get a drink and that by now, Gingster you're asleep again.

Kim19 Tue 21-Mar-23 06:33:54

I'm with Bluebe!l on this. Fitful sleep has become my way of life so I've adaptex

Kim19 Tue 21-Mar-23 06:35:46

adapted and seem to be surviving. Just a minor irritation and no longer a problem. Nice to see the daylight hours stretching. Very welcome.

Georgesgran Wed 22-Mar-23 04:03:23

Still up - I spent 2 hours uploading and sending ‘stuff’ to my local council earlier and my mind is working overtime!
I’m supposed to be driving to Cheshire in 6 hours time, so hope I can get some sleep before the dawn chorus starts up!

LRavenscroft Wed 22-Mar-23 04:05:51

Yes, it's 4 a.m. and we have a high wind blowing outside. My dreams are fitful because I went for a lovely walk around an old village yesterday afternoon and it keeps playing through my mind. Cuppa to the rescue and a bit of GN.

NotSpaghetti Wed 22-Mar-23 05:22:40

I have been awake about an hour now but I feel OK. Have put the radio on so maybe will drift off again if it doesn't get too bright outside too quickly.
Good night/morning all.

grandMattie Wed 22-Mar-23 05:34:24

My night has been over for about an hour. I’ve got a hot drink, warm bed and good book. The wind was bad in the night.
My day will be extremely busy again, but that’s life ATM as I’m selling up and moving across the country.
Have a good day/doze!

Ginny42 Wed 22-Mar-23 05:40:42

There you all are! Couldn't find the Night Owls anywhere and thought I must be the only one awake again, Now the dawn chorus has started tuning up so daylight can't be far away. Things will seem better then. I too have accepted that this pattern of sleep seems to have become a habit.

Georgesgran it's not windy in Cheshire at the moment so hope you have a good journey.

muppett1 Wed 22-Mar-23 06:49:24

Wish I’d seen this earlier. Been very restless since one am. Tested positive for covid yesterday morning and feeling ill. I know it will pass but not good at the moment. DH has all the symptoms but was negative yesterday. I expect he will be positive today. Been up since five coughing and spluttering - even the cat wasn’t impressed!

Ginny42 Fri 24-Mar-23 04:01:35

Anyone else awake? I had quite a long sleep for me as I was exhausted with one worry or another yesterday.

The fitting of solar panels was not straightforward and neighbours are being inconvenienced by scaffolding which is blocking their access. Then it poured with rain and the roof tiles were too slippery so the job couldn't be completed. The fitters didn't tell me that and just left! That's something to look forward to today and two bunches of flowers for the good natured neighbours. Ah well, I suppose it proves that it never rains but it pours.

SunshineSally Fri 24-Mar-23 04:51:57

I’m awake too - not even sure I had any sleep but am guessing that I must have done!
DH has finally (it seems) stopped doing an impersonation of a train and now I’m wide awake!
I’m tempted to get up … am thirsty and also need the loo… but am warm and toasty and it’s chilly out there!

grandMattie Fri 24-Mar-23 04:52:16

I’ve been awake for over an hour. That’s it for the night. I get very fed up.
I spent yesterday going round and round with the bl..dy Sky robot, trying to cancel my account due to my house move. When I eventually managed to get a telephone number, the chap told me my account would be cancelled immediately, not in three weeks as requested, and my subscription refunded in 30-40 days, by cheque! Grrr 😡
On the other hand, it appears that I may get about £8k from my late mother’s estate. She died 14 years ago…
Hope your solar panels get done today, Ginny42.

Kim19 Fri 24-Mar-23 04:55:49

Hi Ginny! Sorry you're having a bit of a rubbish time. I'm much more fortunate on that score at the moment. Little bit of sleeplessness is nothing by comparison methinks and I'm used to that. Just about to watch a film which may well kill me back into the land of nod. Hope you have more chatting companions soon.

Vintagegirl Fri 24-Mar-23 12:07:52

Sympathies to all from fellow sufferer. Lots of strategies on the go... best one is to have bit of toast and some non caffeine tea around 6 am and with luck I get a block of deep sleep after that sets me up for the day even tho down on quota. I listen to radio a lot and have made little pillows for one earphone so comfortable to wear against main pillow. In fact I have two with two radios set to different stations!

gangstergranny Fri 24-Mar-23 12:14:20

Audio books and podcasts get me through many a long night.

Kartush Fri 24-Mar-23 12:23:09

My normal time to turn off the tv is around 12.30 then I shower and spend half an hour on my pc then I crawl into bed and read for an hour or so. If I am lucky I nod off around 3am. If I am not lucky I am still reading when the sun comes up.
I guess I am definitely a night owl

Gumtree Fri 24-Mar-23 12:50:36

I never go to bed before 1am and then watch catch-up on my mobile under the bedclothes! That sends me fast asleep when I am ready (unless its very gruesome etc).
I'll catch up on all emails beforehand as it is such a peaceful time to do this.
I never seem to be tired the next day. I do sometimes wonder if its possible to have too much sleep?

biglouis Fri 24-Mar-23 12:54:17

I no longer has any set times to be awake or asleep because my body clock seems to have gone completely awry. The most I sleep at one time is 4-5 hours and then I need another nap about 6-7 hours later. One advantage of being retired is that you have no one to tell you when to get up, eat and sleep.

Hurrah!

Jay21 Fri 24-Mar-23 13:23:14

If you don't already play I recommend you join Words with Friends (on-line Scrabble). There's always someone to keep you company in the wee small hours, either people like you who wake up in the middle of the night or players in other countries where it is daytime.

Connor13 Fri 24-Mar-23 14:14:11

I'm awake every night between 1. An 3 I've been told it insomnia tried different things but to no avail feel your pain it's so annoying keep plodding on that's all we can do