Gransnet forums

Chat

Which accent do you absolutely love?

(132 Posts)
AskAlice Thu 23-Mar-23 19:58:23

Hearing Steven Gerrard on the TV tonight (build up to the England game, which OH is currently watching.)

I just love a Scouse accent. Being Inner London born and bred, I have a typical Cockney accent (I was born in the City of London district within the sound of Bow Bells) but I think that is a boring sound. The Scouse accent just seems to sing!

What accent, apart from your own, appeals to you most?

PaperMonster Thu 23-Mar-23 20:04:54

An Irish lilt or a very soft Scouse accent.

GagaJo Thu 23-Mar-23 20:09:16

I love a Cockney accent now. I didn't until I moved up north, and now I miss it. I also love a Scottish accent. And a Spanish one.

Ironically, although I don't speak Mandarin, when I lived in China I could hear the difference in accents between Shanghai and Beijing, despite not understanding what they were saying!

Septimia Thu 23-Mar-23 20:10:31

Orcadian!

VioletSky Thu 23-Mar-23 20:10:33

I have a friend from Wales, it's not just the beautuful sing song accent, it's her soft voice added to it. If I am in any kind of bad mood, she can instantly soothe me. She could talk any nonsense she liked and I'd just be feeling my muscles relax lol

Prescott Thu 23-Mar-23 20:12:29

I’m from the US so I love all British and Irish accents n

Smileless2012 Thu 23-Mar-23 20:16:35

Southern Irish for me, reminds me of my gran.

tanith Thu 23-Mar-23 20:25:34

I love Welsh and Sheffield accents i worked with someone from Sheffield 50yrs ago and that accent always reminds me Sean Bean sounds the same.

Callistemon21 Thu 23-Mar-23 20:29:40

Not all Welsh accents are the same.

Just as not all English or Scottish accents are the same.

I like a Shetland accent, a Devon burr (that can vary too) and a Potteries accent.

Lomo123 Thu 23-Mar-23 20:33:36

Geordie, just love that accent.

NanaDana Thu 23-Mar-23 20:40:25

Love Geordie, Borders Scots, Scouse and Southern Irish. As for the rest, I don't find any particular accent irritating, provided the enunciation is clear enough to be clearly understood. However, I'm not impressed by the way in which glottal stops and dropped "g's" at the end of words have become so common with TV/radio announcers, even on the Beeb. Priti Patel is also an offender, with her references to "asylum seekin' " and so on. Our language deserves better.

Grannybags Thu 23-Mar-23 20:57:54

North Yorkshire, Dales area

Geordie

HowVeryDareYou2 Thu 23-Mar-23 21:30:06

Welsh
Italian

Deedaa Thu 23-Mar-23 21:40:41

I spent half an hour yesterday with a salesman who had a lovely Irish accent (OK it helped that he was half Irish and half Jordanian and rather gorgeous) I could have listened to him all day. I also like SiL's San Francisco accent (not that I would admit it to him) certainly the easiest American accent to listen to.

PerkyPiggy Thu 23-Mar-23 21:42:14

I love the Geordie accent.

Jaxjacky Thu 23-Mar-23 21:42:48

MrJ’s Irish accent and a French accent.

Redhead56 Thu 23-Mar-23 23:05:25

I'm Scouse it's an accent that is quite strong in some areas and more mellow in others. I like a Geordie accent and southern Irish accent.

BigBertha1 Fri 24-Mar-23 06:16:40

Italian English or French English for me but also Scottish (the softer Sean Connery kind not Ms. Sturgeon et al). What I cannot bear is how much shouting goes on wherever you go.....don't they ever think of others?

karmalady Fri 24-Mar-23 06:22:47

I have a mellow scouse accent and like southern Irish and Geordie. All sound very welcoming and friendly, as though speaking with a smile

Katie59 Fri 24-Mar-23 07:27:56

I have a couple of relations from rural Lancashire lovely soft friendly accents, second choice Southern Irish.

Allsorts Fri 24-Mar-23 07:37:43

I am quite fascinated by accents, I cannot yet master understanding the Glasgow one, but they all tell a story. Can’t think of a favourite UK one but there’s a few I am not keen on. Love to hear a person from another country particularly, Italy, speaking ours in broken English.

Ashcombe Fri 24-Mar-23 07:51:37

Having spent much of my working life in Staffordshire before retiring to Torbay, I'm always happy to hear Midlands accents from visitors and others who've settled here. Easy access via the M6 and M5 make it a popular destination for holiday makers and retirées like me!

21Tinkerbell Fri 24-Mar-23 08:00:51

adore French speaking English. Accent can be quite sexy.

Callistemon21 Fri 24-Mar-23 10:04:26

Ashcombe

Having spent much of my working life in Staffordshire before retiring to Torbay, I'm always happy to hear Midlands accents from visitors and others who've settled here. Easy access via the M6 and M5 make it a popular destination for holiday makers and retirées like me!

🙂

That's lovely to hear, Ashcombe!

FannyCornforth Fri 24-Mar-23 10:08:33

Yes, I thought that too Calli!
Cheers Ashcombe smile

(I must admit that I’m watching this thread like a hawk - please, please don’t start on which accents you don’t like wink)