Gransnet forums

Chat

Police horse's attacked by dog

(36 Posts)
infoman Fri 24-Mar-23 06:29:53

another sad story:

www.standard.co.uk/news/london/victoria-park-police-horse-dog-attack-crime-london-b1069385.html

BlueBelle Fri 24-Mar-23 06:59:15

These Bully s need banning asap if that was a child it would be dead
How dare people have these killing machines off lead in public places

GrannyGravy13 Fri 24-Mar-23 07:43:35

Poor poor horse, it must have been awful for anyone in the vicinity, especially the person who tried to get the dog away with a stick.
The dogs owner appeared to be rather ineffectual, the dog appeared to have bad if any recall
I hope the horse makes a full recovery

NotSpaghetti Fri 24-Mar-23 08:02:08

I read that the dog is still a puppy and was out "for training".

sodapop Fri 24-Mar-23 08:40:56

The dog's owner needs to have the appropriate punishment, he apparently made little attempt to prevent his dog attacking the horses and in fact blamed the horses.
Another case of a dog owner putting others at risk including his own dog, I'm not sure what legislation if any would prevent this sort of thing happening.

Luckygirl3 Fri 24-Mar-23 08:43:35

BlueBelle

These Bully s need banning asap if that was a child it would be dead
How dare people have these killing machines off lead in public places

I second that.

crazyH Fri 24-Mar-23 08:48:04

It was awful to watch - that man with a stick tried hard to get the dog off. I couldn’t tell who the dog’s irresponsible owner was .😡

Smileless2012 Fri 24-Mar-23 08:50:46

Couldn't watch it. The dog will be destroyed, rightly so but it's the owner's fault and responsibility and they should be locked up.

Blondiescot Fri 24-Mar-23 08:52:57

It doesn't matter which breed of dog it was - if an owner has so little control over their dog, then it shouldn't be off lead at all. One kick from the horse and that dog could be dead - and then the owner would be still complaining that it wasn't his fault.

Kalu Fri 24-Mar-23 09:03:56

It really is time to get these breeds off the streets, along with their owners…..many of whom come across as unbalanced as their dogs. 🤬
That was so harrowing to watch. The owner should be in police custody along with her dog. Much tougher consequences are needed for these dogs and their owners.

Shelflife Fri 24-Mar-23 10:18:12

Lots of responsible dog owners , but far too many irresponsible ones!!!!

Jaxjacky Fri 24-Mar-23 10:55:14

Appalling, I’m sick of hearing about out of control dogs, I was attacked by one on Monday and have bite marks on the padded coat I was fortunately wearing.
I don’t know what the answer is, my incident was reported to the dog warden, who knows any outcome.

toscalily Fri 24-Mar-23 11:26:30

Truly awful, heaven forbid that it had been a human, would the owner still be saying what a wonderful friendly dog it is? I hope the dog is put down as I do not believe that the animal could ever be considered save after such a ferocious attack.
Will it have to be that all dogs are kept on leads in public places or forced to wear a muzzle, but even that does not stop the animals that suddenly turn on their owners. Too many people are just not suitable as owners and too many highly unsuitable animals.

sodapop Fri 24-Mar-23 12:53:41

I was walking my two small dogs yesterday down a deserted country track. A man appeared some distance in front of me and immediately jumped over the hedge and into the field. I recalled my dogs and put them on their leads, he told me he was terrified of dogs after being attacked by one. I really felt sad for him, how his life must be restricted and even a walk in the countryside was fraught for him.
Irresponsible dog owners have a lot to answer for.

Iam64 Fri 24-Mar-23 13:15:31

I watched the video on line, I’m afraid it made me weep, then angry. The owner complained he couldn’t train the dog without letting it off lead in this area. It’s obvious he’s no idea what’s involved in owning and training a dog. He made no attempt to get it under control during this vicious attack. Afterwards he blamed the horse for upsetting his dog, grumbled that because it was a police horse more was being made of the incident.
The dog will be assessed by a behaviourist to see if it’s dangerous. I hope its owner is prosecuted for having a dangerously out of control dog. It might have been ok with the right owner but if it’s not assessed as being dangerous it shouldn’t be returned to this man. Having watched that video, I believe the fog should be euthanised.

MerylStreep Fri 24-Mar-23 13:17:39

sodapop

The dog's owner needs to have the appropriate punishment, he apparently made little attempt to prevent his dog attacking the horses and in fact blamed the horses.
Another case of a dog owner putting others at risk including his own dog, I'm not sure what legislation if any would prevent this sort of thing happening.

You can’t educate spam 😟

Blondiescot Fri 24-Mar-23 13:26:12

Iam64

I watched the video on line, I’m afraid it made me weep, then angry. The owner complained he couldn’t train the dog without letting it off lead in this area. It’s obvious he’s no idea what’s involved in owning and training a dog. He made no attempt to get it under control during this vicious attack. Afterwards he blamed the horse for upsetting his dog, grumbled that because it was a police horse more was being made of the incident.
The dog will be assessed by a behaviourist to see if it’s dangerous. I hope its owner is prosecuted for having a dangerously out of control dog. It might have been ok with the right owner but if it’s not assessed as being dangerous it shouldn’t be returned to this man. Having watched that video, I believe the fog should be euthanised.

Absolutely agree with this. He's clearly totally clueless when it comes to what is involved in training a dog. It is owners like him (and god knows, there seem to be more and more of them these days!) who give responsible dog owners a bad name. It's hard work training a dog - you have to be firm and consistent and keep at it - but that's what is needed if you want to have a dog. And the rewards are oh, so worth it.

M0nica Fri 24-Mar-23 14:21:05

Perhaps we should section every person who buys one of these dogs that are known to attack and sometimes kill people. The reason? Every one of them always says that the dog is tame and harmless and wouldn't ever attack anyone, it has such a gentle nature.

Alternatively, why not a crime of owning a dangerous dog, in the same way carrying a knife in a public place is a crime

Yes, I know both these ideas wouldn't work, but surely someone must be able to think of a way of sanctioning all those idiots who own fierce dogs, which usually they have bought because they are fierce and dangerous, and then say what softies these dogs are when they a ttack and possibly kill someone, often a child. They say that possession is 9 parts of the law.

Oreo Fri 24-Mar-23 14:32:21

The American Bully dog should be on the banned list.
Tbh I think every dog in a public park or street should be on a lead and wear a muzzle.
Especially big powerful dogs!

BlueBelle Fri 24-Mar-23 14:50:45

blondescott it does matter what breed it is these dogs have locking jaws and are heavy and overly strong, a person would probably not survive an attack so they need to be banned obviously any dog out of control and the owner should be prosecuted, but these particular dogs should BE BANNED

Blondiescot Fri 24-Mar-23 15:33:02

BlueBelle

blondescott it does matter what breed it is these dogs have locking jaws and are heavy and overly strong, a person would probably not survive an attack so they need to be banned obviously any dog out of control and the owner should be prosecuted, but these particular dogs should BE BANNED

You're misunderstanding the point I was trying to make, which is that no matter what breed of dog you have, if you cannot control it, then it should be on a lead, and all breeds need to be properly trained. That applies whether you have a chihuahua or a Rottweiler. Banning certain breeds doesn't necessarily work - the existing legislation is full of loopholes and is rarely properly enforced anyway.

Iam64 Fri 24-Mar-23 22:04:18

The law says
*Civil proceedings can be initiated against the owner of a dog that is dangerously out of control. The dangerousness alleged relates to its effect on people or animals

A dog will be regarded as dangerously out of control on any occasion when there are grounds for reasonable apprehension it will injure any person or assistance dog.*

I wonder if the police horse savaged can be considered as an assistance horse. Apologies, I don’t mean to be flippant. That poor horse may not return to work as the calm confident horse he was. He’ll certainly need work to desensitise him from anxiety around dogs.

Callistemon21 Fri 24-Mar-23 22:17:29

Oreo

The American Bully dog should be on the banned list.
Tbh I think every dog in a public park or street should be on a lead and wear a muzzle.
Especially big powerful dogs!

Yes, I agree this is another breed which should be put on the banned list.

Why anyone wants a dog like this is beyond me especially someone who has no clue about how much training is involved.
In some cases they are more like weapons than pets.

BlueBelle Fri 24-Mar-23 22:38:00

Sorry Blondescot I totally understand what you said
If you can actually compare an out of control chihuahua with an out of control American Bully you must be having a moment
I believe banning American Bullies is the only way forward and should be done as soon as.

Blondiescot Sat 25-Mar-23 07:52:17

BlueBelle

Sorry Blondescot I totally understand what you said
If you can actually compare an out of control chihuahua with an out of control American Bully you must be having a moment
I believe banning American Bullies is the only way forward and should be done as soon as.

NO, you are missing my point. I'm not saying an attack by a chihuahua is the same as one by a much larger, more powerful dog (although if a chihuahua were to run up and nip at the legs of a horse, it could still cause a serious accident). The point I'm trying to make if that if you choose to own a dog, no matter what breed, then it is your responsibility to ensure that your animal is under control at all times. If that's not clear enough, then I'm done.