Gransnet forums

Chat

The King’s trip to France has been postponed

(52 Posts)
25Avalon Fri 24-Mar-23 13:04:26

The King’s first official state visit to France has been postponed due to the current unrest. Maybe he should go to New Zealand instead. Not sure Aussies would welcome him.

rubysong Fri 24-Mar-23 13:45:47

A wise move. Things look very dangerous in France at the moment. The French can't face working to the sge of 64!

Ilovecheese Fri 24-Mar-23 14:15:45

Would have looked very wrong to be dining with Macron in Versailles while these protests are on the streets.
Macron is behaving like a king, passing legislation without a parliamentary vote.

Oreo Fri 24-Mar-23 14:58:30

I guess it has to be done if the need is there.Look at the pension age in the UK and some other countries!
People are living longer and are healthier.64 is hardly ancient.

Oreo Fri 24-Mar-23 14:59:31

They man the barricades and set stuff on fire for the flimsiest of reasons in Paris.

Ilovecheese Fri 24-Mar-23 15:21:29

People in this country are no longer living longer and healthier, the average life expectancy is no longer increasing.

Ignoring democracy is not a flimsy reason. Why should the French not object just because other countries just cave in and keep on slogging away.

Blossoming Fri 24-Mar-23 15:29:11

I admire the way the French public stick up for themselves, and each other.

Salti Fri 24-Mar-23 18:25:31

I love France ever since I first went to see my penfriend in Paris in the 1960s. It was my first ever taste of freedom and travel abroad, and I loved it, but the first ever new word of French I learned was "greve". Strike in English. The French like to make their feelings known....and they do. There is obviously a balance between taxing young people and paying pensions to old people. There has to be a balance when there is an aging population.

Oreo Fri 24-Mar-23 18:35:17

Blossoming

I don’t.
Retiring at 62!
Countries can’t afford it. What a lazy lot.

merlotgran Fri 24-Mar-23 18:40:37

I support anyone’s right to protest peacefully but I hate to see wilful damage to buildings and property.

Blossoming Fri 24-Mar-23 18:57:24

Oreo

Blossoming

I don’t.
Retiring at 62!
Countries can’t afford it. What a lazy lot.

Nasty remark.

Ilovecheese Fri 24-Mar-23 19:15:17

It is not lazy to want to do something different with your life while you are still fit and healthy. Thinking that going out to work is all that matters just shows a lack of imagination.
A wealthy country such as France could afford it if it chose to. The same as our Government could make a fairer society if it chose to.

Joseanne Fri 24-Mar-23 19:34:47

Well that's several fewer bottles of Dom Pérignon and Léoville Poyferré to open over the weekend.
🍾 🍷 Macron will make some savings.

Calendargirl Fri 24-Mar-23 19:37:15

Camilla’s probably thinking “Thank goodness, I can put my feet up and watch a bit of telly with a takeaway on my lap!”

Freya5 Fri 24-Mar-23 19:37:26

Nice to see you admire the burning of buildings, I would be pleased to know that no one died in that inferno. Poor French, having to work till they are 64.

Joseanne Fri 24-Mar-23 19:44:42

Calendargirl

Camilla’s probably thinking “Thank goodness, I can put my feet up and watch a bit of telly with a takeaway on my lap!”

Unless she was planning on doing some haute couture shopping on the Faubourg Saint- Honoré? A nice little outfit for the Coronation, Brigitte would have advised her well!

Smileless2012 Fri 24-Mar-23 19:50:51

Sensible decision.

Mitzigem Fri 24-Mar-23 19:52:16

Yes, Aussie’s would welcome him . He’s not hated .

halfpint1 Fri 24-Mar-23 21:56:49

There may be a million out on the streets protesting but there are millions who are not

Joseanne Sat 25-Mar-23 08:16:42

But halfpint there are also millions who are affected by the protests and strikes. I'm booked on a ferry to France next weekend, but checking on the sailings over the past 10 days they are either cancelled, re routed or delayed by hours. And will there be fuel available, and will the bins be overflowing?!
At least Chrales and Camilla could get there by helicopter.

Mamie Sat 25-Mar-23 08:29:23

The ferries have been affected on the days of port strikes, but by no means all. The ring road around Caen has been blocked in places on and off but weekends are normally fine. No problems with bins anywhere round here. There are a few fuel shortages, but don't see massive queues (doesn't affect us as we have an electric car 😂).
I think Brittany Ferries have been giving plenty of notice of port strikes which tend to be Tuesdays and Thursdays as far as I can see.
You wouldn't know anything at all was going on round here.

Joseanne Sat 25-Mar-23 08:42:55

Mamie the Bretagne on the St. Malo route is being shunted all over the place or laid up. I think the tide coefficient isn't helping either. BF updates are pretty useless because they're not answering the phone. Hopefully by June it will all be over because I have dog in tow then and that gets very complicated. 🐕
But I do understand the reasons behind it all.
Glad your bins are being emptied.

Mamie Sat 25-Mar-23 09:56:40

Joseanne

Mamie the Bretagne on the St. Malo route is being shunted all over the place or laid up. I think the tide coefficient isn't helping either. BF updates are pretty useless because they're not answering the phone. Hopefully by June it will all be over because I have dog in tow then and that gets very complicated. 🐕
But I do understand the reasons behind it all.
Glad your bins are being emptied.

Thet do usually answer the phone quite quickly on the French number. There is a useful forum on Facebook if that helps.
My guess is that it will fizzle out once we get to Easter holidays, lengthy and multiple May bank holiday weekends and certainly the summer holidays.
The lunchtime news yesterday had 1) cancellation of visit, 2) strikes and riots 3) an item on where Chirac used to like to eat lunch and 4) a nice place for holidays in the Pyrenees.
This is France after all.

Starrynight49 Sat 25-Mar-23 12:36:47

Mitzigem

Yes, Aussie’s would welcome him . He’s not hated .

I agree. I'm in Australia and despite the existence of the occasional republican here, nobody actually hates the Royals. He'd be very welcome , Camilla too.

volver3 Sat 25-Mar-23 12:43:24

Republicans don't hate the Royals. We disapprove of inherited monarchy.

43% of Australians believe it should become a Republic. That's more than occasional.

www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/sep/19/guardian-essential-poll-australians-divided-on-whether-king-charles-should-be-head-of-state