Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone going to the Olympics in Paris next year?

(51 Posts)
foxie48 Tue 30-May-23 18:13:01

I am so excited as a good friend and I have tickets for all of the dressage at the Palace of Versailles. We've booked our accommodation today. I just wondered if anyone else has tickets for anything. I feel as if I just won the lottery as we are both keen dressage riders and for me, this is a real "bucket list" trip.

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-May-23 18:24:08

No.
I'm totally disinterested in the Olympics!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 30-May-23 18:27:21

I am envious foxie48

Our DD was an eventer I always enjoy the dressage section and at Versailles it should be spectacular.

Salti Tue 30-May-23 18:45:23

I can't think of a better reason to avoid Paris. I will get annoyed enough by the constant T.V. coverage of people running, jumping, cycling, swimming, sailing etc.... ad infinitum. Do it if you want....... but I fail to understand why anyone wants to watch you do it.

BlueBelle Tue 30-May-23 19:00:34

No not really interested in horses or olympics and the price of tickets makes it completely out of so many peoples dreams
But I hope you enjoy yourself foxie I m sure you will

lixy Tue 30-May-23 19:02:41

I'm not going, though really enjoyed the London Olympics.
However my babysitting services have been booked by both DS and DD; just hoping I don't end up with all the GCh at the same time!!

foxie48 Tue 30-May-23 19:18:30

GrannyGravy13

I am envious foxie48

Our DD was an eventer I always enjoy the dressage section and at Versailles it should be spectacular.

I am so excited, not something I feel a lot these days and would love to share it with anyone else who has been lucky enough to get tickets. I went in the first draw, was unsuccessful and told myself all the reasons it would be better to watch it on TV but friend got tickets in the second draw and asked me to go with her! DD also evented but dressage has always been "my thing" and I will love every minute of it. We will have a brilliant team, so much talent and a good chance of a medal, perhaps even gold! When life is sad I still watch Valegro's London Freestyle and it makes me happy. I have to admit I've switched to Glamourdale WEG freestyle, if you haven't watched it, I thoroughly recommend it, just amazing!

crazyH Tue 30-May-23 19:21:00

I’m not sporty; neither do I ride. But I just love watching dressage on television. Long time since they showed anything like that. Horses are one of the most beautiful and graceful creatures on earth. Have a super time - where better to watch a dressage !!!
Yes, my daughter and I have tickets to see ‘Diversity’ in November at the Cardiff international Arena.

MerylStreep Tue 30-May-23 19:28:56

Foxie48
I can feel your joy jumping out of the screen. 😄
Ignore the fun sponges. It sounds wonderful.

foxie48 Tue 30-May-23 19:36:55

crazyH

I’m not sporty; neither do I ride. But I just love watching dressage on television. Long time since they showed anything like that. Horses are one of the most beautiful and graceful creatures on earth. Have a super time - where better to watch a dressage !!!
Yes, my daughter and I have tickets to see ‘Diversity’ in November at the Cardiff international Arena.

Cardiff is a great venue and dance, whether on two legs or four, dance is just so uplifting. I went to the "Peaky Blinders" ballet at the weekend, it was brilliant and I hope it encouraged those who knew the TVseries but who are not into modern ballet to give it a try. I am very pro giving arts council funding to venues outside London. I struggle with the cost of good live entertainment but neither do I want the world "dumbed" down because many can't afford "culture" (whatever that means).

MayBee70 Tue 30-May-23 19:45:45

I’m so envious! I often find my eyes welling up when I watch the dressage albeit not understanding it. They all look good to me. It all started with Moorlands Totillas although I think there was some controversy about him.

foxie48 Tue 30-May-23 19:49:09

www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=valegro+london+freestyle#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:d3409b99,vid:3uXXW8_NMOs
If there is anyone who wants to know a little about dressage, please watch the gold medal winning freestyle from the London Olympics. Just pure delight to see the partnership between horse and rider and trust me, it is so difficult to get it right.

basicallygrace12 Tue 30-May-23 21:08:35

I am very jealous. was lucky enough to win tickets to London 2012 and loved it. Will have to watch on TV next year but will be glued.

Siope Tue 30-May-23 21:25:02

Sadly not. I was successful in both draws, but the good tickets for the events I wanted were more than I was willing to pay. I was at London 2012 and the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, so I don’t feel too deprived!

I hope you have a fabulous time.

fancythat Tue 30-May-23 21:30:11

No.
Had a hard enough job getting tickets for Olympics 2012[non main arena].
Dont intend putting us all through that again in a hurry.

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-May-23 22:05:14

I suppose I'm a "fun sponge" then foxie because I love (my sort of) fun and soak it up.
Not everyone likes the Olympics though. It doesn't mean that we don't understand the joys of others around it.

Some of us have also actually enjoyed watching dressage years ago too. grin

Callistemon21 Tue 30-May-23 22:28:42

MerylStreep

Foxie48
I can feel your joy jumping out of the screen. 😄
Ignore the fun sponges. It sounds wonderful.

No, I shan't be going as it's so busy and I couldn't cope now, but why do people post on a thread to say how much you hate something that another poster is excited about?

Enjoy yourself , foxie48, the atmosphere will be wonderful!

Joseann Tue 30-May-23 22:59:01

I won't be going, but if I were it would have to be the artistic gymnastics events for me.
I hope you have a wonderful time foxie48.
I must admit I do like the Art Nouveau emblem and writing for the Paris games. The three iconic images - the Olympic flame, the gold medal, and Marianne - all rolled into one is very clever and a winner for me. It ensures that Paris owns the event.

Joseann Tue 30-May-23 23:00:49

Here

Rosie51 Tue 30-May-23 23:24:52

Well I'll just say I'm jealous! As someone who had to pay extra council tax to fund the 2012 Olympics but failed to get any tickets for any event I'm afraid I was very sour. Especially as my local park was taken over for the eventing and dressage so we were denied normal facilities. We were assured there'd be a special allocation to acknowledge the burden we bore but that evaporated like the morning mist sigh I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time foxie48, enjoy!

NotSpaghetti Wed 31-May-23 05:27:49

The thread is: Anyone going to the Olympics in Paris next year?
It's a question Callistemon21.

I don't know where you are finding hate on here...

Most of us who are not Olympic lovers are still interested to know why others enjoy it (and what they enjoy).
I like people to have fun (even when it's not my sort of fun).

Some of us like fairly niche things anyway!

foxie48 Wed 31-May-23 08:28:20

Nothing will burst my bubble of happiness but I'd love to share it with others and apart from kind friend I can't find anyone else with tickets for the dressage even on equestrian forums. I wouldn't go for any other sport and tbh dressage for anyone who isn't "into" the sport it's a bit like watching paint dry (apart from the freestyle).

Rosie51 Wed 31-May-23 09:48:01

I'll enjoy watching it on TV foxie48 giving thanks that I won't have to stay up until or get up at silly o'clock to do so grin

Callistemon21 Wed 31-May-23 10:35:54

NotSpaghetti

The thread is: Anyone going to the Olympics in Paris next year?
It's a question Callistemon21.

Most of us who are not Olympic lovers are still interested to know why others enjoy it (and what they enjoy).
I like people to have fun (even when it's not my sort of fun).

Some of us like fairly niche things anyway!

Not your post, NotSpaghetti

Callistemon21 Wed 31-May-23 10:38:53

Not of a person but a particularly unpleasant post after yours which is just plain nasty and designed to upset..

Why? Just why?