Gransnet forums

Chat

You’re never going out looking like that?

(113 Posts)
Foxygloves Wed 31-May-23 07:30:53

How many of us had that ringing in our ears in our teens when our Mum or Dad saw us dressed to go out?
I remember my mums insistence that I change out of my jeans, tucked into knee length black suede boots which I was wearing with my snazzy little leather bomber jacket -if I wished to accompany her into town on a shopping trip. (Dear Mum did tend towards the Ladybird Peter and Jane school of dress for shopping. )
I cannot imagine what she would have made of this style statement.
But I am happy to say neither my father nor DH would have even thought about walking the dog dressed like this. Carrie really needs to have a word.

TillyTrotter Wed 31-May-23 07:39:31

The words I heard most often were “you’re not wearing those ridiculous heels out of the house” (as if I would have got them to wear indoors!
They were always wooden platform shoes and they made me 4 inches taller. Very fashionable in the 70’s and I had to travel on the train to Birmingham to buy them in Ravel.
I always wanted longer legs. I thought my father was just a spoilsport.

TillyTrotter Wed 31-May-23 07:40:12

Reaction to the BJ photo - what a lovely dog 😜?

M0nica Wed 31-May-23 07:52:55

For some reason it was thick black tights that my mother objected to. This was in the early 1960s. Her phrase was ' I am not having you going out like that, it makes you look like a student!' I never quite got the point because I was a student!

I only once did the 'You are not going out like that' game with DD. It was a summer Saturday morning . She was about 13 and DF was just about to take her to her dancing class. She was wearing the dancing schools dance 'uniform' of a bright turquoise shiny Lycra long sleeved leotard and leggings. Over it she had put a short skirted, shortsleeved, bright orange sun dress. The sight was - blinding - . I insisted she change the dress for something more muted and less clashing.

Sarah79 Wed 31-May-23 07:57:05

I can’t abide Boris, but he’s only out walking the dog - he’s wearing the sort of scruffy ‘gardening’ clothes that most of us wear dog walking?

Foxygloves Wed 31-May-23 08:13:50

Sarah79

I can’t abide Boris, but he’s only out walking the dog - he’s wearing the sort of scruffy ‘gardening’ clothes that most of us wear dog walking?

Speak for yourself!
I would not dream of embarrassing my dog attired thus. 🐶

Foxygloves Wed 31-May-23 08:16:35

Does Boris perhaps feel duty bound to prove that Englishmen can’t do casual?

Galaxy Wed 31-May-23 08:18:19

My dog is up at 6. I put a coat over my pyjama top, dont brush my hair and pull some joggers on.

rosie1959 Wed 31-May-23 08:19:26

My parents were not keen on my dress in the early 70s Staypress Harrington jacket Ben Sherman shirt and brogues and a Crombi
As for Boris he is walking the dog I don’t dress up for this activity either. He’s probably like my DH doesn’t give a flying fig about style statements

Blondiescot Wed 31-May-23 08:19:34

Oh yes, I loved the punk scene in its heyday and used to dress accordingly, so you can imagine my mother's reaction to that. Although I was naturally blonde, I used to bleach my hair peroxide white and according to her 'only prostitutes looked like that'! The more she criticised the way I looked, the more I wanted to dress and look that way.

merlotgran Wed 31-May-23 08:21:19

Dylan could do with a tidy up as well. Peggy has already had her hot weather trim!

Hetty58 Wed 31-May-23 08:25:17

Galaxy, same here - it's pretty chilly out there first thing. Drizzle this morning, so a raincoat with hood (and absolutely no point in hair brushing).

We had to wear (sparkling white) clean underwear - in case we got run over by a bus. I always found that hilarious, as my underwear would hardly remain clean should that happen!

Marydoll Wed 31-May-23 08:43:25

Yesterday, DH and I went for a run down the coast and DD asked me to send a photo of DH, to check his attire.
He is well known for his lack of sartorial elegance and he has a tendency to favour black everything.

After a few suggestions from me and a change of clothing, he was reasonably presentable and was allowed out. 😉

Juliet27 Wed 31-May-23 08:50:19

When I first looked at the small picture I thought ‘aww, he’s just a daft old codger’ but then I increased it and then thought ‘my god that’s the man who was in charge of this country, no wonder we’re in such a mess!’
Yes sweet little dog - doesn’t deserve its owner.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 31-May-23 08:51:33

Give the man a break he is walking the dog.

So pleased that I have never been papped

Mollygo Wed 31-May-23 09:04:16

Galaxy

My dog is up at 6. I put a coat over my pyjama top, dont brush my hair and pull some joggers on.

Me too, except at 7 am. At the moment it’s warm enough at 7 to not need a coat, so I feel honour bound to add a bra and top instead of my coat.

Foxygloves Wed 31-May-23 09:04:26

Wouldn’t want to meet anyone looking like that on a dark night on Rosie’s bedtime walkie hmm

Louella12 Wed 31-May-23 09:23:28

TillyTrotter

Reaction to the BJ photo - what a lovely dog 😜?

Exactly what I thought 😀

Siope Wed 31-May-23 09:30:58

He’s an adult. Why on earth is what he wears his wife’s responsibility?

I couldn’t care less what he - or anyone, including my husband, children and grandchildren - wears. It doesn’t harm anyone, or affect my life in the slightest.

And I can’t believe that in 2023, anyone believes that what an adult man wears is a matter for his wife to co

Siope Wed 31-May-23 09:31:29

Oh for pities sake - must proof read!

luluaugust Wed 31-May-23 09:32:43

It's the shirt hanging out that gets me grin
A friend nd I were saying yesterday that we wished we hadn't gone out in 4" heels as we might not have such bad backs now!

fancythat Wed 31-May-23 09:34:41

I got the good underwear thing for a bus too.
Reminded my mum recently. She cant remember.

Jaxjacky Wed 31-May-23 09:39:49

If my husband tried to ‘inspect’ me before I went out he’d get a blunt answer, good grief!

MiniMoon Wed 31-May-23 09:49:32

I showed the picture to my husband. He said, "well, what's wrong with that?"

M0nica Wed 31-May-23 09:54:06

DH and DS are both of a build - very broad shouldered large bodies and short legs - (only one is overweight) that means they tend to look 'casually' dressed, no matter what they wear.

They have the wisdom to avoid the Boris look by not wearing shorts unless on a beach, but otherwise cultivate the casual, building labourer look, as being as good as anything, given their builds. Fortunately both chose professions where this look is entirely normal.

I am a smarter dresser, but I have never tried to influence what DH wears, not even a hint, which he wouldn't notice any way!