Gransnet forums

Chat

Looking after grandchildren ..............

(31 Posts)
swampy1961 Thu 01-Jun-23 14:48:48

.... and this was done willingly to help family to clear down their debts even though their income is twice ours. But they have been away stay-cationing multiple times this year over school holidays and weekends with their caravan and are now planning a holiday abroad in October.
Am I being unreasonable to think that we are funding their breaks away as they are not paying any childcare?
We have debts too and although I'm retired after being made redundant - I could find another job for a year or so - maybe temping - then we too could be debt free so that all our money is ours to do the retirement things we are hoping for.
DH is on long term sick and due his State pension at the end of this year - in an ideal world if he had been able to work his last couple of years then the debts would have been cleared. We are mortgage free thankfully but the best laid plans and all that don't take account of ill health!! What do people think?

dogsmother Thu 01-Jun-23 14:55:25

You must do as you see fit. Your grandchildren are just that, grandchildren. A secondary responsibility, if you choose to go to work for a little longer then your adult children will be obliged to find and pay for childcare.

Poppyred Thu 01-Jun-23 15:25:43

Discuss with the parents? Do they know you have debts? Maybe they would be willing to pay you for childminding - this would probably be cheaper than finding alternative childcare. Best of both worlds?

Hithere Thu 01-Jun-23 15:32:32

Please take care of your finances and make sure your future is secure

swampy1961 Thu 01-Jun-23 15:49:07

Thank you all for your replies - you have all made valid points.
We are able to service our debts as well as making extra payments and have been snowballing to achieve this - but at the current rate of payment we will be paying these for another 4 years along with the extra interest {angry} and will be cleared by the time I claim my State pension.
We both have occupational pensions and have been struggling with the LGPS for DH's second pension which even after 19 plus months is still not being paid!! We have now got our local MP involved and obtained advice from Pension advisors to lodge complaints so this is ongoing.
I guess I'm just feeling a bit frustrated because we could be free of debt in just over a year were I to go back to work and I can be impatient at times when things don't move quickly enough. The joys of being older! lol!!

loopyloo Thu 01-Jun-23 16:01:49

We supported our daughter a lot of the years and looking back we were over generous.
My advice is to put yourselves first. Go back to work if you want to clear your debts etc.

midgey Thu 01-Jun-23 16:28:50

How about asking for payment? Enough to help with your debts, they would still be getting a bargain and you would still see your grandchildren. Unless of course you have had enough! To be honest I think they might be mortified to find you are struggling to sort your life out while they swan off.

AGAA4 Thu 01-Jun-23 16:30:47

You need to have an honest conversation about this. Tell them you want to work to clear your debts. The ball is then in their court and they may offer to pay you for childcare or pay someone else.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 01-Jun-23 16:55:13

Hopefully your husband’s local government pension will be sorted out soon and he will be paid arrears. I know from my own experience that they are very inefficient but having said that my local government pension, although I was in local govt for 13 years at low salaries, has performed much better than the private pension I took out when I left the public sector. Personally, I would do nothing until that pension is in payment. You will then have a much better idea of your financial position pending receipt of state pensions. Remember that if you receive payment for childcare you will need to declare it for tax purposes. That and receipt of the local government pension may not only affect your tax position but possibly your husband’s benefits, hence my advice to wait.

If you’re not in a position to take holidays I understand your feelings. If they have a caravan their staycations probably don’t cost a lot but the holiday abroad is different. I do understand but don’t act in haste. You will be in a better position when your husband gets his LG pension. Be patient for a while, don’t jeopardise precious relationships by acting in haste.

Redhead56 Thu 01-Jun-23 17:18:51

Staycations still cost money don't they? Money that you are short of too by the sounds of it. It's good that you are helping with your grandchildren. I helped with ours and when another GC came along I made it clear that my new GC deserved some of my attention too. I couldn't be in two places at once. It wasn't appreciated but my son and Dil had to get used too it.
You and your DH need a break too I suggest you give them dates when you are having a little break you deserve it. Let them sort the children and themselves out for about a week. Listening to my friends I think our loved ones tend to take us for granted.
Maybe consider a little part time job and jiggle it with childcare only on your terms.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 01-Jun-23 18:31:21

Staycations don’t have to cost a lot of money if, as here, you have a caravan. Petrol, yes, but perhaps it’s all self catering and buckets and spades rather than eating out/having takeaways? That’s what self catering was when I was a child and when my son was a child.

Shelflife Thu 01-Jun-23 20:49:12

Explain to your AC exactly what position you are in . If you need to go to work in order to pay your debts then that is what you must do ! Take care of yourselves.

Doodle Thu 01-Jun-23 20:59:23

Sorry I don’t understand. Are your grandchildren young and do you look after them during the day while their parents work? Perhaps as someone suggested you should explain you are in debt too and can’t work because of looking after the children. Could you perhaps get a part time job and they could get someone else to look after the children while you are working.?

swampy1961 Thu 01-Jun-23 22:33:01

It has been really helpful to see suggestions from you all and one of them has highlighted that perhaps payment should be made. This was talked about before I was made redundant and then never revisited. Definitely an error on our part.
But I'm also grateful for the gentle reminder not to act in haste and after raising the responses you have all given with DH and discussing them. We have decided - that when discussion of the holiday is raised again (which it will be) then at that point we should then be saying that if you can afford a holiday then we should discuss some payment for childcare going forward in the interim.
We do look after other grandchildren too - they range from toddlers to late teens (and there are 10 of them) - but it is the toddlers and school children that we help with throughout the year. Neither sets of AC's pay anything for food etc which is all at our expense so currently there is lots we should be addressing given the present situation.
Perhaps if DHs pension were to finally be paid then asking for childcare payments wouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things. We can afford to live and service the debts but it is a source of annoyance that we can't clear the debts as quickly as we would like and it is me being being impatient with this issue and looking at the options to achieve this.
We are both well aware that ACs and GCs that come into the mix with second marriages can be a source of friction and for this reason we have always maintained that all have equal status in our eyes and while working we have contributed to four weddings - only one more to go but we'll cross that bridge later.
As for the staycations, they happen with other in-laws and they do not come cheap even if they are all in caravans. They do involve expensive day trips out and are rarely the bucket and spade cheap breaks that many would assume.
My thanks again to all who have given us suggestions and options to think about in a cool, calm and collected manner.

CanadianGran Thu 01-Jun-23 22:48:51

Yes, I think you need to sit and revisit the agreement for childcare with your kids. In honesty, what they are doing with their money management isn't really up to you, unless you really stated that you would help out for free so they could pay debt, and once that debt was paid then the agreement would end.

Did you have an end date in mind when you initially agreed? And with 10 GC total, you could be overwhelmed with caring for them. I hope this conversation goes well, and you can come to an arrangement that works for all of you.

NotSpaghetti Thu 01-Jun-23 22:55:48

I don't think it's a good idea to link any sort of payment to the holiday as it sound judgemental.

I'd simply say that you feel you need to work again to pay off your debts and see what follows.

Good luck.

welbeck Fri 02-Jun-23 03:35:10

i don't see why you should be paying to maintain other people's children.
whosever they are.
that is the parents' responsibility.
however as the old saying puts it, if you make yourself into a doormat, people will step on you.

LRavenscroft Fri 02-Jun-23 04:46:49

A lot will depend on your age and how you are both healthwise. I noticed a big drop in my level of energy in the last ten years and not everyone is able to keep up the levels of care they once did. I am not sure our children notice this and they think we can go on as we always did. Could you have a conversation about not being able to do as much as you once I did and say you have a few things you would like to do before say 65 or 70 which are plans you have and actually set those weeks i.e. take two weeks off to sort the house/garden so they see you also have a life to live each day. I think your feeling of frustration is telling you something and it will only get worse as times goes by.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 02-Jun-23 08:44:52

I agree with NotSpaghetti - don’t link any talk of payment to holidays. That won’t set the scene for a calm discussion.

midgey Fri 02-Jun-23 20:15:41

Have you read this? Might help.
www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/grandparents-childcare-credit/#:~:text=If%20you've%20helped%20look,top%20up%20your%20NI%20record.

GagaJo Fri 02-Jun-23 20:47:08

midgey

Have you read this? Might help.
www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/grandparents-childcare-credit/#:~:text=If%20you've%20helped%20look,top%20up%20your%20NI%20record.

Someone on here mentioned this a couple of years ago (you maybe midgey?). I got it for last year as a result and have just sent off the form for the 2022-2023 tax year.

Annierob Sat 03-Jun-23 11:26:27

Do what you want to do as otherwise you will feel resentment.
I look after grandchildren because I enjoy it and know soon they will be grown. If I didn’t want to do it I would say no. The other grandmother said no and no one minds her decision.

red1 Sat 03-Jun-23 11:32:31

exhausting looking after little ones, if Im honest Im coming to a point where I get little pleasure out of it. Ive been looking after my grandson 1 day a week , i need a day to recover! There is a reason why we are grandparents! it is tiring on all levels.I have been a fool in the past putting my family before myself,someone will take if you are giving.

Nannashirlz Sat 03-Jun-23 11:55:15

I would sit them down and just be honest that you are struggling like most ppl in the country and any help their can give you would help you out otherwise you will have to go out to work and they will have to find somebody else to look after grandkids. I’m sure if they knew you were struggling they wouldn’t want you not to say anything.

Soozikinzi Sat 03-Jun-23 12:35:56

We have experience of this a couple of times .We were used for regular child carev not a huge amount but 1 ot 2 days a week but now thats was no longer needed and the other grand parents have moved nearby we hardly see the children ! But I think to myself well we did enjoy those times .So I resolved only to do as much child care as we enjoy doing . I think that is the key because it's a thankless task. I think it's reasonable to cut some child care and work a couple of days . If you explain this and they then offer to contribute then that's a win win situation .