Gransnet forums

Chat

Another banned ( killer) dog

(101 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 03-Jun-23 17:59:21

Another person, a lady in her 70 s has died after a dog attack by a dog on the banned list, something has to be done we ve talked it over and over but when are the government going to do something

Grammaretto Sat 03-Jun-23 18:11:57

I heard a horrible story yesterday when a new rescue dog, a rottweiler, killed their neighbour's daschund.
Both families were devastated
The big dog was taken back to the dog home and euthenised but why are these scary animals kept as pets?

rosie1959 Sat 03-Jun-23 18:21:59

Not sure what more the Government can do there are banned breads but sometimes it’s very difficult to determine breed. The owners are already held responsible by law. Apparently this was a family dog in a private home.
Rottweiler are not by nature particularly scary those that I have known are as daft as a brush. Dogs homes usually test rescues and advise you to be wary if you have a reactive dog.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 03-Jun-23 18:25:23

Apparently the lady has not died and has non-life threatening injuries, if it’s the same incident I have just heard about on the news. The owners of the dog have been arrested. If the dog was a banned breed precisely what more can the government reasonably be expected to do? We constantly have these pointless (because they achieve nothing) threads on GN and demands that the government ‘do something’. Total waste of time.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 03-Jun-23 18:27:20

Germanshepherdsmum

Apparently the lady has not died and has non-life threatening injuries, if it’s the same incident I have just heard about on the news. The owners of the dog have been arrested. If the dog was a banned breed precisely what more can the government reasonably be expected to do? We constantly have these pointless (because they achieve nothing) threads on GN and demands that the government ‘do something’. Total waste of time.

Sky is reporting that a 70 yr old lady has died, a man has been arrested along with his wife/partner who is in hospital with non-life threatening dog related injuries.

rosie1959 Sat 03-Jun-23 18:28:22

The lady that was attacked did die it was the dogs owner that had the non life threatening injuries

BlueBelle Sat 03-Jun-23 18:36:26

Obviously not the same case as you read GSM as a lady in her 70 s died and the owner had minor injuries
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-65797191

BlueBelle Sat 03-Jun-23 18:40:53

I m so sorry my post is pointless to you GSM Perhaps others don’t find it pointless
I guess you can say that about any conversation or thread on here if you re not interested

Primrose53 Sat 03-Jun-23 19:41:21

I was walking across a car park today and a woman had a dog on a lead while standing by her car which just stared at me and the lead was taut. It was definitely on alert. It had a beautiful smooth coat and looked like one of those bully dogs. It was very stocky and strong but if someone had offered me £1,000 I would not have dared to go near it.

sodapop Sat 03-Jun-23 19:44:23

There have been several cases lately of dogs causing death or serious injury and invariably the same bully breeds. I don't know what the answer is apart from stronger regulation. These breeds have more controls imposed on the owners here in France. This of course doesn't help when owners are under the radar.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 03-Jun-23 19:46:01

What is the point of these constant threads about dogs? The same people say the same things every time. It can achieve nothing so is completely pointless.

BlueBelle Sat 03-Jun-23 20:24:19

If you’re bored by the thread GSM please feel free not to read You ve said it twice now and there’s no need for judgements over what others want to discuss

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 03-Jun-23 20:42:53

Yes I am bored by the constant going round in circles, the same comments by the same people every time. It achieves nothing.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 03-Jun-23 20:47:27

Germanshepherdsmum

Yes I am bored by the constant going round in circles, the same comments by the same people every time. It achieves nothing.

To be fair that applies to the majority of GN threads…

BlueBelle Sat 03-Jun-23 20:47:34

GSM do please feel free to move along to another thread 😵‍💫 please don’t torture yourself so

Grammaretto Sat 03-Jun-23 20:55:05

Maybe GSM is only happy talking about German shepherds? grin

For what it's worth, I hardly ever join dog threads, only being partial to my own or family dogs.

Jaxjacky Sat 03-Jun-23 21:52:18

This thread is at least based on fact, a woman has been sadly killed by a banned breed of dog, unlike others, full of conjecture, (Phillip Schofield thread for one).
Banned these dogs may be, but there are minimal people available to enforce the existing laws and competing deficits in the economy for any funding.

Granmarderby10 Sat 03-Jun-23 23:59:35

Well on this subject of “banned breeds” ( they apparently are problematic for the police and animal experts to conclusively identify - so it takes time)

I was thinking after reading this news item, just what would make someone go out of there way to choose such breeds, always assuming they acquire these unfortunate animals in the full knowledge of their potential.

There are myriad choices of legal breeds not forgetting the “57 variety” mongrels and first crosses etc ….so just why?

The owners were in their 50s and 60s and it is the female owner of the couple who has been injured also.

Possibly from trying to intervene ? …just speculating here. So not feckless youths trying to bolster there egos here then.

infoman Sun 04-Jun-23 06:40:10

I can't be responsible for other dog owners dogs,

having said that I think most of us on these forums are of a "mature age" and with that comes the fact we stumble and fall over with out any third party assitance.
I just don't want some one else's bounder jumping up at me.

Katie59 Sun 04-Jun-23 07:44:08

Germanshepherdsmum

Yes it achieves nothing because nobody cares enough to tackle dangerous dogs and dog welfare.

Iam64 Sun 04-Jun-23 07:47:30

There’s been an increase in dog on dog attacks, as well as dog on human attacks. GSM is correct in saying the discussions are repetitive but that can be said of many other threads.

PitBull types are responsible for most attacks in the USA but I’ve seen no similar figures here. XL bullies are increasingly popular. Their ears are mutilated by breeders to add to their intimidating look, it’s illegal but they do it. Back street breeders, charging mega bucks and selling to ne’er do wells.

There was a huge increase in people buying puppies during lockdown. Puppy farms, back street breeders, mixing any poodle with any breed so no idea what personality will emerge. The charities involved in doodle rescues are overwhelmed with dogs who snapped at children, resource guarding anything. The owners are often first time dog owners with no idea. They listen to these tv trainers who say throwing treats at a dog will teach it manners.

We have a real problem. Too many dogs. Too many dogs in the wrong hands. Too many bull type breeds masquerading as staffies.

I wish I had a simple, effective answer. TV could help. Instead of having unqualified people like the dogfather ‘curing’ problems in one visit, put out some genuine advice on responsible dog ownership. Ban back street breeding. It needs investment. The police are increasingly called to deal with dangerous dogs, then castigated if the shoot them

Iam64 Sun 04-Jun-23 07:51:13

Apologies for the long rant. I’ll stop and walk my dog

lemsip Sun 04-Jun-23 08:05:45

Germanshepherdsmum

well that's the same on every thread look at the schofield thread which you are very much on.

eddiecat78 Sun 04-Jun-23 08:14:50

I've been a dog lover my whole life but my attitude to them has changed dramatically in the past couple of years. It is not just the problem of aggressive dogs, it is the fact that there are now far too many of them and that too many owners believe not only that they are an important member of their family but that they are the most important creature on the planet and that everyone else must tolerate their bad behaviour. I was recently at a fete where there were so many yapping dogs in the tea tent we couldn't hear ourselves speak!

BlueBelle Sun 04-Jun-23 08:15:57

I totally agree we do go round in circles and of course we don’t achieve anything as such, but whilst chewing things over someone might come up with an idea, a way forward Just because it’s repetitive it doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be discussed

It’s repetitive because it darn well keeps happening
Why should this lady’s life not be worth mentioning as much as another’s

Noting a post further up saying the police and authorities don’t always know if it’s a banned breed well that not good enough and can easily be rectified for the general public (although not in the home where many attacks happen) but perhaps all dogs over a certain weight/size should be muzzled in public