Gransnet forums

Chat

Straw-like hair

(100 Posts)
Kiwiqueen123 Sun 04-Jun-23 19:59:24

Never had this problem before I started regularly having my hair highlighted. I never bothered with conditioner or "products" but now my hair looks like straw, no shine and just dull.

I read somewhere rinsing with vinegar but do they mean malt or white?? Done the cold water thing with no results. Any recommendations please for a nice shiny head of hair.

Jaxjacky Sun 04-Jun-23 20:13:47

www.gransnet.com/forums/style_and_beauty/1324597-Any-fantastic-hair-product-recommendations

You might find something here Kiwiqueen

HelterSkelter1 Sun 04-Jun-23 21:28:49

I had hair like brillo following chemotherapy a year ago and it has improved so much by using a small pea sized blob of Argan Oil ŕubbed on my hands and gently smoothed through newly washed damp hair before drying gently with the hairdryer. I use a gentle shampoo, not too hot water and gently blot with a towel. Keep out of hot sun.

Oreo Sun 04-Jun-23 22:15:50

Highlights contain bleach, nuff said.
You need shampoo for dry hair and a good conditioner or hair mask.
Also brush some Argan oil through it when dried and styled.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 04-Jun-23 22:20:55

You need to use conditioner. My hair was highlighted for years but now I’ve let it go grey. I wouldn’t ever dream of washing it without conditioning.

ParlorGames Sun 04-Jun-23 22:25:10

Did your stylist not recommend the correct regime to keep your hair in good condition after having your highlights done?

The right shampoo and conditioner are a must particularly to prevent the highlights looking 'brassy'.

I have forgotten the actual brand name but there is a range of products for colour treated hair in a purple bottle (the product is purple too) and it is brilliant as maintaining shiny hair. Argon oil is also good - you only need the smallest amount and it doesn't make the hair look greasy.

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Jun-23 22:55:47

Yes, I'd recommend Argan Oil too, either rubbed through half an hour before washing or a little on wet hair after shampooing and conditioning.

Starrynight49 Mon 05-Jun-23 05:39:24

Highlights are bleach, so yes you will need conditioner. Not vinegar. I use a good after-wash conditioner, and when it's dry I use a little Vitapointe, a leave-in product. My hair is always very shiny.

FannyCornforth Mon 05-Jun-23 07:15:08

Germanshepherdsmum

You need to use conditioner. My hair was highlighted for years but now I’ve let it go grey. I wouldn’t ever dream of washing it without conditioning.

Same here. Even when my hair was just a couple of inches long.
I can’t imagine what my hair would be like without conditioner.
That’s all you need - a big bottle of any type of conditioner!

Dorrain Mon 05-Jun-23 07:30:13

Apple cider vinegar is an excellent hair rinse, it will bring back the shine. Use 1 part vinegar to 5 parts water and just pour it over my nicely washed and conditioned hair.
It smells on application but once your hair dries there is no smell whatsoever.

nanna8 Mon 05-Jun-23 09:22:30

I ‘wash’ my hair with conditioner rather than shampoo and that helps. I have always had dry ,curly hair. I wash it every 3 days as I find to wash it every single day dries it too much, even using conditioner as shampoo. I have a Dutch friend who I found does the same. We had a little laugh about it.

FannyCornforth Mon 05-Jun-23 09:26:56

nanna8 it’s very common in the ‘Curly community’ to use co-wash.

I sometimes use shampoo on my scalp only, and try to avoid the lengths, and use co-wash on them instead.

Those with curly or wavy hair are encouraged to avoid products containing sulphates and silicone, they both dry out the hair

LadyGracie Mon 05-Jun-23 09:28:28

I haven’t got dandruff but was willing to try anything for my dry hair. I saw Head and Shoulders with Conditioner and thought ‘what have I got to lose’. It’s great I’ve had the apple and the lemon, it really works for me.

annodomini Mon 05-Jun-23 10:08:29

Short, curly white hair is responding well to argan oil shampoo and conditioner. Not cheap, but when I saw them both at half price in Tesco one day, I snapped them up. A bottle of each is lasting a long time as I don't shampoo every day by any means.

Dottydots Mon 05-Jun-23 11:04:22

Now and then I rub a good handful of olive oil on to my hair, leave it for an hour or so and then wash it and condition it. Lovely, shiny hair.

nanna8 Mon 05-Jun-23 11:16:24

Yes the Argan oil is good and every now and again Aldi sell it here so I grab it, like you , annodomini.

JdotJ Tue 06-Jun-23 11:12:45

There is never a shine on blonde hair unless you have natural blonde (Scandinavian) locks. Highlights strip the hair of any shine, never to return unless you revert to your natural colour.

SquirrelSue Tue 06-Jun-23 11:18:55

I recently had my hair dyed and it went like straw too. I purchased hair oil from "hair Syrup" website. You put it on dry hair, leave it on for one hour minimum, then wash out with shampoo and then conditioner. After just one application my hair was transformed. I am so pleased with the result. My hair is so soft and full. I also use shampoo and conditioner from the health food shop, as it doesn't contain harmful chemicals.

Yiayia4 Tue 06-Jun-23 11:20:18

Olaplex is very good.You use it once a week leave in for at least 30 mins and it really works well.Quite expensive but worth it.

MillieBoris Tue 06-Jun-23 11:33:25

Yes definitely Olaplex shampoo and conditioner with weekly Olaplex Perfector treatment- certainly costly but does the job on my blonde coloured fine hair - to be honest I will do anything to avoid dull grey hair

cc Tue 06-Jun-23 11:38:20

Oil doesn't work for me as I have straight hair and it looks awful. Also oil can often strip the colour out of hair and mine is coloured so I would avoid it anyway.
I like Kerastase "Resistance" products, they do a variety of conditioners including one which you leave in. I don't bleach my hair and often the shampoo alone is enough.
I agree with an earlier poster about Head and Shoulders working well, though it does strip my colour slightly so I tend to use it when I know my hair will soon be coloured again.
I think I'd be wary of oils if there was any risk of my hair looking brassy as they can make this worse, one of the purple-toned conditioiners mentioned by someone else would probably be the answer.

cc Tue 06-Jun-23 11:39:00

(sorry about the mis-type!)

ruthiek Tue 06-Jun-23 11:42:12

Don’t use the original head and shoulder on coloured hair it strips it

MadeInYorkshire Tue 06-Jun-23 11:48:56

Mine is HORRIBLE! Never had it coloured or anything, was a lovely deep auburn, natural redhead!

It's now a darkish brown, is coarse like like straw and is coming out literally in handfuls. I had it washed on Sunday and with one brush, out of my head came more hair than if I had brushed my Golden Retriever! A fistful of it ... I am unwell and on a massive load of strong medication, and it has been coming out for quite a while, but not this much! At least it is still growing ... and at 61 there's only a small smattering of white ones, but it was the best thing about me. sad Hairdresser has recommended

"As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner 16 oz." which you can get from Amazon

... and Argan Oil as suggested above many times!

Sulis Tue 06-Jun-23 11:50:13

The best I ever used on my bleached hair is the Olaplex shampoo and "conditioner" which rebuilds hair. It is amazing and a bit expensive. My go to brand for super condition and shine. Check it out.