Gransnet forums

Chat

I’m going to miss Gary in the mornings

(39 Posts)
Casdon Mon 05-Jun-23 10:43:54

I think Gary Davies has done a terrific job on Radio 2 for the last almost 3 months. He took over from Ken Bruce when everybody was upset that Ken was going, and for the last two and a half weeks he’s been covering for Zoe.
Credit where it’s due, it can’t have been easy but he’s really brightened up my mornings, he’s really positive and funny. Well done Gary!

kittylester Mon 05-Jun-23 10:54:10

I surprise myself by agreeing with you casdon.

FannyCornforth Mon 05-Jun-23 10:55:48

I cannot believe that Zoe is still there! How?!

Sparklefizz Mon 05-Jun-23 11:15:07

I like Gary Davies better than either Zoe or Vernon Kay. They are both awful in my opinion.

eddiecat78 Mon 05-Jun-23 11:28:38

Try Boom Radio - it's brilliant!

Casdon Mon 05-Jun-23 11:34:20

eddiecat78

Try Boom Radio - it's brilliant!

Not my cup of tea at all eddiecat78, I want to hear up to date music as well as old stuff, and I don’t like adverts. It’s horses for courses I know, but I’ll be sticking with Radio 2, and hoping Gary will be covering somebody else soon, or better, is given a daytime show of his own.

merlotgran Mon 05-Jun-23 11:39:10

Sparklefizz

I like Gary Davies better than either Zoe or Vernon Kay. They are both awful in my opinion.

I agree.

SecondhandRose Mon 05-Jun-23 11:41:22

I’ve switched to Greatest Hits Radio. Love Ken Bruce.

eddiecat78 Mon 05-Jun-23 11:57:34

Boom does play up to date music too - everything from the 50s to the present day plus lots of rarely heard album tracks. They are currently playing a brand new release from Mary Hopkins.
I don't mind the adverts - they feature a lot of small businesses which makes a nice change.Also the presenters are of a "mature" age and talk about things I relate to.
But as you say, horses for courses

kittylester Mon 05-Jun-23 12:10:13

casdon, I would like him to take over from Scott Mills.

eddiecat, Mary Hopkins isn't what I would call 'up to date'. Do they play Jake Shears for instance?

kittylester Mon 05-Jun-23 12:15:37

Or Lizzo?

Casdon Mon 05-Jun-23 12:26:52

kittylester

*casdon*, I would like him to take over from Scott Mills.

eddiecat, Mary Hopkins isn't what I would call 'up to date'. Do they play Jake Shears for instance?

Me too kittylester, I’ve stopped listening in the afternoon.

merlotgran Mon 05-Jun-23 12:30:00

Me too kittylester, I’ve stopped listening in the afternoon

Same here. If I’m gardening I listen to Classic FM. I miss Steve Wright.

MiniMoon Mon 05-Jun-23 14:14:25

I'm a recent convert to Boom radio too. I stopped listening to BBC radio years ago for a reason that I've forgotten blush. I also like Scala Radio and Classic fm.

Visgir1 Mon 05-Jun-23 14:54:04

Sadly I tried Ken on Greatest Hits Radio, I too don't like that they don't play recent Hits. It is called Greatest hits Radio?
Not keen on the adverts either, so back to Radio 2.

I'm hoping Gary Davis takes over from Scot Mills in that afternoon slot. Mills just doesn't seem to have that extra quality for that slot.
But I'm liking Vernon Kay.

Sparklefizz Mon 05-Jun-23 18:50:56

I tried following Ken on Greatest Hits Radio but couldn't stand all the inane adverts so returned to Radio 2.

Vernon Kay is too excitable for me. I loved Ken Bruce's wonderful voice and dry sense of humour.

Patsy70 Mon 05-Jun-23 18:56:57

I recommend to those of a certain age that they listen to Ray Clark on BBC Radio Kent at 6pm on Sundays. He is very entertaining and plays the best music, in my opinion.

NannyJan53 Mon 05-Jun-23 19:08:03

Another thumbs up for Gary Davies, much prefer him to Zoe Ball.

Kandinsky Mon 05-Jun-23 19:12:40

I find him annoying - not sure why but I just do.
Looking forward to Zoe coming back.

honeyrose Tue 06-Jun-23 08:37:22

Sparklefizz

I tried following Ken on Greatest Hits Radio but couldn't stand all the inane adverts so returned to Radio 2.

Vernon Kay is too excitable for me. I loved Ken Bruce's wonderful voice and dry sense of humour.

I completely agree with Sparklefizz. ! I don’t like all the adverts on Ken’s show on GHR and he sounds different - not like the Ken on Radio 2. It’s a different vibe on GHR, but then I suppose it was never going to be the same. As for Vernon Kay - irritating! Too much silly chatter about absolutely nothing. Why not play more music, rather than filling in the time with rubbishy chitter chatter?! I think Gary Davis is great - cheerful without being hysterical/over the top and with just the right amount of chat in between music.

argymargy Tue 06-Jun-23 08:42:01

I've gone right off R2 - far too much talking about nothing and reading out inane text messages from random members of the public. I can't bear commercial radio adverts either as they're too frequent and too shouty. I end up on R4 or listening to podcasts.

LadyGracie Tue 06-Jun-23 09:43:08

I switched to Greatest Hits radio gor Ken Bruce, Simon Mayo and others, I love the music but couldn't abide all the adverts so I've paid for premium, no adverts. Free the first month then £3.99 thereafter. Well worth it.

Sparklefizz Tue 06-Jun-23 11:46:25

LadyGracie

I switched to Greatest Hits radio gor Ken Bruce, Simon Mayo and others, I love the music but couldn't abide all the adverts so I've paid for premium, no adverts. Free the first month then £3.99 thereafter. Well worth it.

Ooh. I didn't know that was possible.

MadeInYorkshire Tue 06-Jun-23 12:52:38

You can subscribe to these channels if you don't like the ads ...

Also gone to Greatest Hits Radio, Radio 2 now is just awful!

Soozikinzi Tue 06-Jun-23 13:32:16

I love Gary as well he's done a great job filling in and I also think he deserves his own spot now . I also really like Vernon and I'm enjoying Vernon's vaults.