Gransnet forums

Chat

CAR INSURANCE INCREASE

(70 Posts)
FishandChips15 Tue 06-Jun-23 12:30:45

I have just received my car insurance renewal and it is over 50% more expensive than last time.

Does this sound about right? I am with SAGA and drive a car that is ten years old!

Lathyrus Tue 06-Jun-23 12:38:47

Could be your age😬

But always shop around.

fancythat Tue 06-Jun-23 12:44:08

I dont think it sounds right.

But nowadays, loyalty is definitely not rewarded.

Aveline Tue 06-Jun-23 12:46:18

Go to an insurance broker. They can find you much better deals than you can find yourself in the internet.

Greenfinch Tue 06-Jun-23 12:46:47

Give them a call. Say this is above the rate of inflation and they will almost certainly reduce it. Otherwise go elsewhere. If you don’t do many miles tell them that too. Good luck!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 06-Jun-23 12:53:01

fancythat

We’re with the NFU and they certainly reward loyalty.

LadyGracie Tue 06-Jun-23 13:02:49

I’m with Policy Expert, my latest quote was almost a £100 increase, I phoned to ask why, a very nice Scottish gentlemen went through my policy and it went down to £2 more than last year.
I know people recommend shopping around but it’s always worth asking first.

Theexwife Tue 06-Jun-23 13:09:44

I found that SAGA was reasonably priced the first time I used them then jumped considerably when it came to renewal.

I use a price comparison site and go with the cheapest, it changes every year.

Georgesgran Tue 06-Jun-23 13:13:49

Definitely shop around - compare prices online, if you use the internet, then speak to Saga and see if they can match what you’ve found. Weigh it up and if you’re not happy, walk away. I did with Saga this time. Maybe being that year older has reached an insurance milestone and the age of the car, whilst relevant, also reflects the cost of parts it might need after an accident, especially if it’s a ‘quality’ make.

fancythat Tue 06-Jun-23 13:26:48

Germanshepherdsmum

fancythat

We’re with the NFU and they certainly reward loyalty.

Interesting.

Good to know.

Kim19 Tue 06-Jun-23 14:20:03

Yes my renewal with Direct Line was up by 71%. Shan't be using them ever again irrespective of quote. Disgusted.

FishandChips15 Tue 06-Jun-23 14:20:34

I have phoned SAGA and they reduced it from £491 to £431 for a three year fixed plan or £395 for a year with less included.

I still think this a lot.

Nanatoone Tue 06-Jun-23 14:25:14

It seems a lot until you need them and then it seems reasonable. My brother has just lost everything in a fire and I was so scared he wouldn’t be insured (thank goodness he was). Worth every penny!

Aveline Tue 06-Jun-23 14:38:39

The online comparison sites expose you to a while lot of spam and they do a check up on your credit. I avoid them. I was with Direct line for years until a big price increase. DH said to try a broker and I was amazed at how much less the insurance they found for me was. I saved literally hundreds. When I phone Direct line to cancel they didn't even try to keep my business.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 06-Jun-23 14:48:37

FishandChips15

I have phoned SAGA and they reduced it from £491 to £431 for a three year fixed plan or £395 for a year with less included.

I still think this a lot.

Is your car insured for too much now it’s older? If it’s written off you’ll only get what it’s worth so after a few years it’s pointless having cover for what it originally cost when new. Not like house and contents insurance where you should have full replacement cover. Also, if you don’t drive much you can get a discount for not doing more than x miles a year.

FishandChips15 Tue 06-Jun-23 15:33:34

I have always had fully comp. maybe now I should go for third party, fire and theft.

Kim19 Tue 06-Jun-23 15:46:33

I've recently renewed my car insurance but I've many reservations about my decision. If I cancelled and moved elsewhere can anyone tell me what sort of 'fine' would be levied on any potential refund. Never done this before or even contemplated such an action.

Georgesgran Tue 06-Jun-23 15:46:40

You could also opt to increase your voluntary excess, which should reduce the premium.
It’s interesting to know that mobile signals and store tills tell’ where you go, so if you drive to the local shops most days for a wander, you’re deemed at higher risk of an accident than if you only go once or twice a week.
Incredible? It’s true.

Georgesgran Tue 06-Jun-23 15:48:41

You can usually cancel free of charge within the first 14 days. After that you’ll have to pay for what you’ve used, plus their own admin fee - could be £25 minimum, but give them a call and ask.

Georgesgran Tue 06-Jun-23 15:53:19

Just Googled - as an example Saga charge £50 cancellation fee after the 14days ‘make your mind up’ period.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 06-Jun-23 15:56:17

FishandChips15

I have always had fully comp. maybe now I should go for third party, fire and theft.

I would never do that unless you can afford to lose your car if it’s damaged in an accident. Only for a real old banger.

Georgesgran Tue 06-Jun-23 15:58:16

I know I’m ‘taking over’ now, but you should also have a second named driver (clean license and over 25) on your policy. Don’t ask why, but that brings the cost down too.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 06-Jun-23 15:58:22

Georgesgran

You could also opt to increase your voluntary excess, which should reduce the premium.
It’s interesting to know that mobile signals and store tills tell’ where you go, so if you drive to the local shops most days for a wander, you’re deemed at higher risk of an accident than if you only go once or twice a week.
Incredible? It’s true.

Are you saying insurers have access to that information? That would surprise me.

Kim19 Tue 06-Jun-23 17:46:50

Thank you, Georgesgran. Appreciated. I've really made a fist of this renewal. No-one to blame but myself.

Georgesgran Tue 06-Jun-23 18:10:45

GSM - apparently they do. Sort of works the same way that supermarkets know what offers to tailor to your needs.