Gransnet forums

Chat

Sex Education

(74 Posts)
Luckygirl3 Sat 25-Nov-23 18:40:19

This is an actual extract from a sex education textbook for girls, printed in the early 1960's in the UK.

“When retiring to the bedroom, prepare yourself for bed as promptly as possible. Whilst feminine hygiene is of the utmost importance, your tired husband does not want to queue for the bathroom, as he would have to do for his train. But remember to look your best when going to bed. Try to achieve a look that is welcoming without being obvious. If you need to apply face cream or hair-rollers wait until he is asleep as this can be shocking to a man last thing at night.
When it comes to the possibility of intimate relations with your husband it is important to remember your marriage vows and in particular your commitment to obey him. If he feels that he needs to sleep immediately then so be it. In all things be led by your husband's wishes; do not pressure him in any way to stimulate intimacy. Should your husband suggest Congress then agree humbly all the while being mindful that a man's satisfaction is more important than a woman's. When he reaches his moment of fulfillment a small moan from yourself is encouraging to him and quite sufficient to indicate any enjoyment that you may have had.
Should your husband suggest any of the more unusual practices be obedient and uncomplaining but register any reluctance by remaining silent. It is likely that your husband will then fall promptly asleep so adjust your clothing, freshen up, and apply your night-time face and hair care products. You may then set the alarm so that you can arise shortly before him in the morning. This will enable you to have his morning cup of tea ready when he awakes.”

Sent to me by a friend. I find it quite hard to believe for early 60s - I remember the 60s as being much more fun!!

Beechnut Sat 25-Nov-23 18:51:57

Crikey!

Grandma70s Sat 25-Nov-23 18:58:24

It can’t be real, unless it was a reprint from maybe the 1900s.

I particularly like “Adjust your clothing”.

In my world, my husband brought me the tea!

SueDonim Sat 25-Nov-23 19:12:30

Congress! 😳

Surely that was written as a spoof?

Sparklefizz Sat 25-Nov-23 19:24:12

I was at school in the early 1960s and we didn't have any sex education at all, let alone a book.

The writing style suggests more likely pre-war.

VioletSky Sat 25-Nov-23 19:29:29

Thank goodness women decided not to stand for that nonsense

Vito Sat 25-Nov-23 19:39:20

Like the others have said it sounds pre 60s, but my goodness it made me laugh, thank you 🤣🤣🤣

welbeck Sat 25-Nov-23 20:01:47

?source

crazyH Sat 25-Nov-23 20:04:46

Now I know where I went wrong 😂

Theexwife Sat 25-Nov-23 20:15:53

This extract is on a BBC website, it was from a Home Economics text book from the 60s.

Here is another extract:
Don't complain if he's late home for dinner, or even stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day. Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Arrange the pillow and offer to take off his shoes.

I don't think many women in the 60s followed the suggestions of the book.

nanaK54 Sat 25-Nov-23 20:39:29

This is exactly how I behave within my marriage (NOT) grin

V3ra Sat 25-Nov-23 20:53:49

...offer to take off his shoes.

My Mum had a friend who always got down on the floor and took her husband's shoes off every day when he came home from work... 😳

Grannybags Sat 25-Nov-23 21:03:50

crazyH

Now I know where I went wrong 😂

🤣🤣

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Nov-23 21:14:19

I don't think rollers were invented in the early 1900s! So it must be 1960s and could be a spoof as SueDonim says.

We weren't taught anything like that 😂

Should your husband suggest Congress then agree humbly
😂😂😂

offer to take off his shoes.
I was shocked to find that husbands didn't clean their wife's shoes!

Mollygo Sat 25-Nov-23 21:16:36

I did laugh at the OP.
My Grandmother did the Let him sit down, make him a drink and serve dinner ASAP routine, but that wasn’t in the 60’s. My FIL came in from work and helped cook the dinner.
I don’t know about either bedroom routine.

Aveline Sat 25-Nov-23 21:22:22

Oh no. If only I had known this practical information. I must go and apologise to DH at once. I wonder if it's all too late?

Juliet27 Sat 25-Nov-23 21:24:51

I’d have been quite happy to take off his shoes if I hadn’t been laughing so much when I noticed he’d gone to work with one brown shoe and one black one!!

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Nov-23 21:28:00

Hands up anyone who managed to sleep in rollers?

Theexwife Sat 25-Nov-23 21:33:11

It is not a spoof and is from the 60s, if you google the passage it is quoted many times going back many years.

henetha Sat 25-Nov-23 22:05:52

Gosh 😳
I thought this thread was going to be about a very funny TV series called Sex Education.

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Nov-23 22:06:48

henetha

Gosh 😳
I thought this thread was going to be about a very funny TV series called Sex Education.

Yes, me too! 😁

Lexisgranny Sat 25-Nov-23 22:45:02

I distinctly remember reading an article in a women’s magazine in the early 1960s which suggested putting an alarm clock under your pillow in order to wake yourself up before your husband awoke in the mornings, The purpose was so that you should put your hair into rollers, and have a hot bath to ‘set’ it, then you would have time to lay the breakfast table (always adding a nosegay in a ‘gay’ vase) and cook a delicious breakfast. You would need to allow time to remove the rollers, brush your hair and apply a light make up before your DH sat at the table to have his breakfast served. Should he want to read the newspaper during this meal, you should not interrupt him because he would be acquainting himself with the news so that he was able to discuss it with his colleagues later.

It was the first of a series, but I didn’t read more. However a work colleague of mine of mine read the same article and said that she followed the advice of the series faithfully!

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Nov-23 22:47:19

It sounds more like the 1950s than 60s!

LadyGaGa Sat 25-Nov-23 23:05:09

When I had my first child in 1986 I remember being given a leaflet from the hospital about how to prepare for the birth. It said that I should batch cook food so that my husband always had a home cooked meal, and that having a baby did give me the chance to take a few shortcuts with housework - only iron the collar and cuffs of your husband’s shirts if he wears a pullover. 1986!!!!! 🤣

welbeck Sat 25-Nov-23 23:16:32

what !
you mean young enough to father children were wearing pullovers in 1986 !
who'd've thunk it !