Gransnet forums

Chat

The true meaning of Christmas.

(45 Posts)
Katek Tue 28-Nov-23 09:33:33

This simple little £700 ad for a pub in Enniskillen has gone viral for all the right reasons. It's very touching.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lv1FMf7W_E

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Nov-23 09:36:49

I think it’s a good video (all filmed on a mobile phone). Definitely a tear jerker. It was the man on the bench with his newspaper that got me

Witzend Tue 28-Nov-23 09:42:39

It had me groping for the tissues.
I wish the big chains with their daft OTT ads would take note!

Katek Tue 28-Nov-23 10:05:10

With you on that one witzend!

Jaxjacky Tue 28-Nov-23 10:09:25

It’s very similar to the Christmas adverts from JJ Hough and its pub in Banagher, Offaly Ireland. I’ve loved them all, especially the 2020 one.

Shinamae Tue 28-Nov-23 10:23:59

It got me teary-eyed

Doodle Tue 28-Nov-23 11:01:09

Really got to me too. Loneliness one of the greatest sorrows for so many people and for so many reasons.

DH and I always try and make eye contact, smile and say hello to everyone we pass when out. It has made for some very interesting encounters over the years including one with a woman we knew only slightly from smiling at her and saying hello whenever we passed on our walks. One day she said, “my husbands just died” She said she needed to talk to someone and although she didn’t know us, because we always said hello she felt she could speak out. We were with her for over an hour.

Just smile and say hello sometimes that’s enough to help a little,

Judy54 Tue 28-Nov-23 14:23:56

Absolutely wonderful and heart warming well done Charlie's bar. It knocks spots of some of the bigger retailers Christmas videos. Tis the season of goodwill and it is alive and well in Enniskillen. Slainte (cheers) to everyone at Charlie's bar for bringing a little love and kindness into the world.

pascal30 Tue 28-Nov-23 14:50:32

heart warming.. maybe he should get a dog,, they certainly bring people together

JudyBloom Tue 28-Nov-23 14:59:49

That's lovely Doodle, it's amazing how a little acknowledgement can go such a long way.

AGAA4 Tue 28-Nov-23 16:21:47

Lovely. All the other Christmas ads are frivolous beside this one.

Sweetpeasue Tue 28-Nov-23 16:43:02

Just watched this advert and in bits.
It really reminds us all how many older people are lonely in an age where personal everyday contact is becoming so scarce.
Lovely story Doodle and lovely words.

Georgesgran Tue 28-Nov-23 17:27:12

My Lord, what a lovely advert. I always make a point of making eye contact with older people - lonely or not, a word and a smile costs nothing!

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 28-Nov-23 17:58:30

What a lovely ad. If I were near, it would encourage me to buy a drink in that hostelry.

karmalady Tue 28-Nov-23 18:17:25

Tears came while watching this lovely video. Truly heartwarming

Whethertomorrow Tue 28-Nov-23 18:32:32

It’s lovely though I could do with not crying any more. It is so much better than that awful one with Dawn French.

AreWeThereYet Tue 28-Nov-23 18:35:28

A lovely ad for Christmas. And a lovely pub. I would stop in there for a drink.

twiglet77 Tue 28-Nov-23 18:48:37

I despair at the loss of the true meaning of Christmas.

My daughter said how amazing it is that DGS7 knows all the words to Last Christmas, by Wham!

She actually said, “I think he must have learned it at school for the Nativity concert”. I imagine the loop of Christmas hits that she plays incessantly from the beginning of November has more to do with it!

Surely a school wouldn’t have their seven year olds singing Last Christmas…?

Helenlouise3 Tue 28-Nov-23 18:56:37

Excellent advert

merlotgran Tue 28-Nov-23 20:25:39

www.instagram.com/reel/C0Mds3fKqAI/

I could watch this again and again. He’s such a sweetie 😂😂😂

RosiesMaw Wed 29-Nov-23 00:05:43

I agree. Very moving and thought provoking.
Unless you have known the loneliness of this man, it is hard to understand the impact of the young couples gesture of friendship, isn’t it?

Namsnanny Wed 29-Nov-23 00:49:29

It is RosiesMaw. Younger people are usually so swept up with their own lives (as we were too I suspect), and his age means he is invisible to most. Makes it all very poignant.

Call me a misery, but I can't help but think of how he will feel when they go their separate ways.

Somewhere in the back of my head there is a Gilbert O'sullivan song, Alone again Naturally.

Namsnanny Wed 29-Nov-23 00:53:00

Just call me Maud (lin) grin.

Maya1 Wed 29-Nov-23 05:04:41

Lovely ad, very thought provoking. It costs nothing to say hello.

Lovely story Doodle, I'm sure it really helped that lady to talk.

Going from a couple to being on your own can be devastating but l agree that making eye contact and speaking to everyone that you can really helps. Having a dog also helps, my new rescue, Toby loves everyone and is an icebreaker for starting a conversation.

RosiesMaw Wed 29-Nov-23 06:40:31

Good point namnanny about being invisible, people are not at all surprised to see an old man or woman on their own - nothing unusual but what lies behind?
I like to think that they might look out for him another day, greet him with a smile and a chat, maybe even get to know him and become friends.
He will go home with a warm feeling from the human contact, look happier perhaps and who knows, others may also give him a smile and a Hello. (I am available for tear-jerking Christmas ad scripts, just call my agent)