Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday 1st December 2023

(54 Posts)
Michael12 Fri 01-Dec-23 05:37:54

Good Morning Everyone,
Dark,dry and cold only way to describe this morning in brackley .
I have my chiropodist at 9 today ,and few tasks to do prior to her coming.
Hopefully bus to Bicester after that ,and maybe do some sort of Xmas shop plus general items .
Take Care,
Mick

grandMattie Fri 01-Dec-23 05:49:44

White rabbits, 🐇🐇🐇 Start of Advent, first window.
Good morning from Bristol. It’s cold and frosty, but clear.
I had a quiet day yesterday, apart from a very vigorous tai chi class- no jumping around but much moving to keep warm.
In the late afternoon, I went to DD’s for dinner and gave Iris her fingerless gloves. She whinged that I hadn’t got anything for her the last time I was there - I had finished DGD1’s scarf and gloves. Said scarf contained nearly 1/2km of yarn. I was impressed with myself!
I stayed on while the parents went to various meetings. There were no ructions at bedtime.
We established which day the family could come round for my”Grand Official Opening’, which enabled me to invite the neighbours who let me use their loos.
Very busy today. Spanish, a “focus group” taking 2 hours (total waste of time) and baking for church coffee morning tomorrow.
Hope today finds you free of anxiety and sorrow, and is kind to you. Carpe diem 🦩🦩🦩

cornergran Fri 01-Dec-23 06:04:13

Morning Mick, morning All from a very chilly corner of Somerset.

Nothing exciting here, stereo coughing continues and we’re both running on empty. Will test later, be good to know our status.

You deserve a very Grand Opening grandmattie. Wonderful to be able to be proud of your home.

Enjoy what you can of the day everyone.

harrigran Fri 01-Dec-23 06:08:12

Good morning from the NE where we have a good covering of snow and it is -1.
Been awake since 3am, this is getting ridiculous, I thought 5am and 5.30 were early but I am going to be really tired this afternoon.
Plumber came as promised, took notes and said he would email me a quote for the work. He did say they were very busy and it was unlikely that anything would be done before Christmas.
Heating is on permanently at present, I went round the house last night and made sure all blinds and curtains were closed to try and contain the heat. My WFP was in my bank account on Tuesday, just as well as it is going to be an expensive winter.
Will do some batch cooking today, that should keep me warm.
Have a good day and take care where it is icy.

Mizuna Fri 01-Dec-23 06:30:52

Good morning from Cornwall where it's going to be sunny and cold all day. Yes Oopsadaisy we did have a flurry of something white and wet yesterday though it wasn't quite snow here (by the sea).

Awake at 0250 because late evening I opened and ate part of a box of dark chocolates bought for a friend so got my come-uppance when the caffeine kicked in! Thank you kind folk for comments regarding my new instrument of torture leg brace which comes with a leaflet to scare the bravest of folk, in particular regarding 'WARNING for Sliding Activities.' 🤔 It's very uncomfortable but all this is character-forming and anyway things may improve the more I use it, I tell myself. 🤪

Today a bus trip to M&S for some Christmas present buying then a detour to deliver my daughter-in-law's birthday present.

karmalady Fri 01-Dec-23 06:33:43

-3 here in s somerset and the sun will be out, just before dark, this afternoon

I have tidying to do, skirtings to dust and machines to clean. I am also opted in for energy saving from 4.30 to 6. I don`t save much but I like to do my bit

Harrigran, I am seeing my smart meter readings wrt costs, they are ramping up so fast now and this is in a new build, pity help the many who will not cope with the energy costs. We aren`t even into real winter yet

I am scraping room in the freezer now, ready for a few preps for christmas eg I need to put milk in for my weekly kefir-making and the road/pavements to the shops do get dangerously icy. That one step that could result in the splits

Have a good day

Ashcombe Fri 01-Dec-23 06:39:15

Good morning from a dry but cold Torbay. Snow in parts of the SW yesterday caused some school closures.

Last night I had to cross Torquay to give two fellow carollers a lift to the theatre. Due to a roadworks traffic light being stuck on red and another road closure due to an accident, this took nearly an hour!

I hope cornergran and her DH will turn a corner soon and feel better. How frustrating about your heating, harrigran! It must be lovely to have your alterations completed, grandMattie. You’ve been very patient.

Lunch out nearby with friends from Move It or Lose It today. And a welcome night off from rehearsals!

TGIF! 🦩🥰❄️💐🦩

Susan56 Fri 01-Dec-23 06:42:24

Good morning from Shropshire.A chilly start but a dry and sunny day forecast so the conservatory should be warm and cosy later on.

Yesterday went reasonably well.We had a nice lunch then went to the supermarket and stocked mum’s cupboards up.We also put a tiny Christmas tree on my dad’s grave.

A quiet day today until school pick up time when we will collect the children and bring them back here for a sleepover.Tonight our town transforms into a funfair and Christmas market.It is a huge event with the whole town closed to traffic.In the morning everything will be cleared away as though nothing happened ready for the Christmas parade.On Sunday it is the annual Santa run through the town.

Hoping all under the weather start to feel better.

Have the best day you can everyone🎄🦩

RosesandLilac Fri 01-Dec-23 06:47:27

Good morning everyone, it’s -5° here in south Gloucestershire and doesn’t look like getting much above freezing all day 🥶
Away to Wales tomorrow so I need to pack and make sure the house is tidy today. The lovely dog walker will be here this morning so I can crack on with it.
Definitely taking lots of warm clothes 😊, hoping it doesn’t snow!
Have a good day 🌹

baubles Fri 01-Dec-23 06:56:48

Good morning from South Lanarkshire, it’s dark but Alexa tells me it’s -1*.

DH’s consultant was pleased with his progress yesterday, his lung is not yet clear but there is improvement. He will be seen again in three months.

Childminding day today. We’re taking a couple large of bags of salt for DS’s driveway. Their house sits on a hill and I think the drive and stepped path will be lethal in icy weather.

My poor brother in law was admitted to hospital again when he attended yesterday for a clinic visit. He now is suffering from Cachexia apparently and is quite unwell.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

BlueSapphire Fri 01-Dec-23 07:04:08

Good morning everyone and Happy White Rabbits Day from a very frosty Northampton, -2°C outside.

Up early this morning as I have a blood test appointment at the surgery. Then I shall walk down to our little retail park, and have coffee and a bite in the M&S cafe. I also need to return an item to Next (the dressing gown I ordered for DGD). which I didn't like.
Then a few odds and ends to get.

Dance classes were interesting yesterday, more learning of our names in tap and ballet steps.

Not sure whether to get a bus or walk to the surgery; one bus will get me there ridiculously early, and the next one will be borderline late. May get the early bus halfway, then have a browse around the village shops first, that should do it. Otherwise it's a 45 minutes walk the whole way.

Chicken curry for dinner tonight.

Stay warm and wrap up well, and have a good day.

Jaxjacky Fri 01-Dec-23 07:06:06

Morning, -1 in S Hants, yesterday we had sleet/wet snow off and on all day.
Will you have a celeb ribbon cutting gMattie🙂
Another one shutting down everything for 4:30 karmalady.
You sound thoroughly fed up corner let’s hope those bugs push off soon, very debilitating.
Yesterday was a not much day apart from forcing myself out for a walk, I feel guilty if I don’t go.
Farm shop today, I might get a sprout stick, they keep well outside, MrJ will be overjoyed, not.
Pub tonight for a catch up after Tesco delivery.
Hope the poorlies improve soon and the sad see a glimmer of light.
🦩🦩

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Dec-23 07:19:55

Morning al my garden is white with frost (-1) looks very pretty.

Sort of successful gift shopping yesterday, but it was lovely to spend the day with DD.

I intend to finish house decorating today (apart from real tree in sitting room) then DH and I are going out for dinner at a local Malayan restaurant this evening.

Have a Good Friday, 1st December where has this year gone…

🙋‍♀️🦩🎄

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 01-Dec-23 07:26:04

Morning all from a freezing West Oxfordshire. I peeked out of the window and my car is frosted up. It is the WI coffee morning and I am giving my neighbour a lift at 9.45 am. I think I’ll be outside with my ice scraper. Sort of a funny story - I gave a lift to a friend last night back home from another friend’s house: I forgot to put my lights on until we were halfway. He is a driving instructor!
This afternoon I will do some Christmas baking including a chocolate log. Also, my ironing pile is growing ever larger. Elder son and his family are popping over tomorrow and staying the night. I will have to sort their room out and plan a menu.
More parcels are expected in the post. I am putting them all in a spare room for the moment. At some point I’ll have to wrap them all up! I posted the Australian presents yesterday. Not so expensive as last year but I made sure the presents were fairly light.
Have a good day especially those of you who are suffering.

luluaugust Fri 01-Dec-23 07:27:13

Good morning from W Kent where it is -1 again. Yesterday’s Christmas do at art group went well, far too much food as usual but some members who have been unwell lately managed to drop by. After lunch I decided to go and buy all the present bags I needed. Today the excitement of new glasses and then a little light shopping before seeing GS5 at home.
Best wishes to all

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 01-Dec-23 07:27:47

Big fluffy white rabbits!🐇

NannyJan53 Fri 01-Dec-23 07:39:08

Good morning from a dark, dry but frosty Black Country. December already!

Lovely walk around Baggeridge yesterday with the walking group. It was very cold, but dry and sunny. Then a coffee and chat at the end.

I encountered 3 lots of roadworks traffic lights on my 20 minute journey yesterday Ashcombe. At least none were stuck on red, which is very annoying when that happens.

Mum had her yearly visit from my cousin yesterday (Dad's sisters DD). She always visits just before Christmas with a card and present, but never lets her know when she is coming beforehand. So last year because I had took Mum out she left everything in the porch. Never keeps in touch or calls her during the year, just the one Christmas visit. I find that very odd. She only lives less than 20 miles away.

Wishing you all the best day possible.

Gym this morning, then I may go to our local shopping centre Merry Heel (hill) this afternoon, before the Christmas madness really starts.

I actually did the ironing yesterday afternoon.

kittylester Fri 01-Dec-23 07:39:36

Good morning all from a frozen North Leicestershire.

Looking forward to a cup of tea with a lovely GNer later. It is ages since we last saw each other.

NannyJan53 Fri 01-Dec-23 07:39:46

Merry Hell!

Greyduster Fri 01-Dec-23 07:51:14

Good morning Michael and all GNs from a very cold, frosty South Yorkshire, but at least it’s not the snow we had yesterday, which took its time to go away. The boiler has its work cut out this morning. I decided to forego my usual outing with the walking group yesterday but drove over and had lunch with DD, then did some shopping on the way home. This afternoon I am volunteering for a couple of hours at a local school. I do this twice a week now and it’s very rewarding.
Have the best day you can folks.

brook2704 Fri 01-Dec-23 07:52:44

Good morning everyone from Cambridge where it’s another very cold and frosty start to the day.
Sorry to hear your brother in law is so poorly baubles but pleased to hear your DH is a bit better.
We really enjoyed going into the centre yesterday for some festive shopping and a look around. In the afternoon the other GPs came round and we had more birthday celebrations and then we all went out for a lovely Indian meal. Both DGSs enjoy a mild curry so it suited everyone and we had a lovely time.
Today we’re off to a Christmas fair at the DGSs school and a Christmas market this evening
Have a lovely evening Susan56
Thinking of everyone with worries and struggles, hope today is gentle and take care all whatever the day brings 💐

Grandmabatty Fri 01-Dec-23 07:53:57

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently -3°, very frosty with snow flurries later. Ash there are roadworks everywhere around my local area at the moment. It's definitely adding to the journey times. GrandMattie hooray! Job finished.
Yesterday was another nice catch up with art friends this time. We had a lovely Italian meal. Later my cupboards were restocked by a Tesco delivery.
Today I have a chiropodist appointment. Then I'll get the housework done and cards written. Tonight our wee village is having a Christmas Tree light switch on. There will be lots of stalls, music and Santa is appearing. The community council organised it for the first time last year and it was a resounding success. Bigger and better this year. I'll probably walk round. Dd and Sil are going to bring the boys. That might change if it's very cold though. Have a good day all

Marydoll Fri 01-Dec-23 07:54:46

Good morning all from a chilly Glasgow, its -4°C.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother, Baubles. What a worry for you.
The coughing is exhausting, those of you who are struggling, will confirm. Hoping you find some relief soon.

My appointment with the medical students went well. The GP said they had been reading my notes and were amazed I had survived so many crises. She thought it might be something to do with my bolshieness strong spirit, that I was still here!
I had asked the receptionist to ask my GP for more anti nausea medication, (it's rationed), but she said to just ask at the meeting with the students. I have mislaid the prescription! 😱

I'm glad I did ask, because I was violently sick at bedtime, then again during the night. It's a mixture of stomach issues and the congestion in my lungs, which is the cause. Of course DH was oblivious and by the way, he doesn't need a hearing aid!

SIL has a hospital appointment, then we are supposed to meet him and DD in town for lunch.
We were supposed to be having lunch at the golf course, but there are two separate funerals being catered for, so a change of plan.
I'm going to get up and see how I feel, it will be so disappointing if I don't get. Its a waste of time really, to make plans.

I wish all you busy people an enjoyable day and as always keeping those who are struggling, in my thoughts and prayers.

grandMattie Fri 01-Dec-23 07:55:53

Naturally, jaxjack! Front door for Iris. But I shall have to have a second one across the bathroom for DGD1 to cut…
Those road closures etc., are a bummer, Ash. One of the roads round here has either been one lane + lights or completely closed (like now) since I’ve been here. Most irritating.

Grandmabatty Fri 01-Dec-23 07:55:57

Susan your town's Christmas events sound wonderful. Baubles I'm sorry to hear that your brother in law is unwell again.