Gransnet forums

Chat

Fish and Chips - not a cheap meal anymore

(84 Posts)
nanna8 Fri 01-Dec-23 11:10:59

I was thinking how cheap it used to be to buy a portion of fish and chips but now, for us, it is around $15. I think that is around £8. We used to be able to get good fish for much less than half this not very long ago. What is happening in the UK, is it the same? Where have all the fishes gone ?

Desdemona Fri 01-Dec-23 11:28:45

As you say, it used to be a cheap and substantial meal. The chippy near me now charges £11 for cod and chips, and it isn't a huge portion by any means.
I do enjoy it, but limit it to once a month nowadays.

Charleygirl5 Fri 01-Dec-23 11:31:24

The prices, certainly in my region of London have shot up. The average here is over £12 and once I was scammed for £18. As my Dad would have said "he saw you coming".

Unfortunately my local has closed down and it is over 2 miles to the next decent one but there is rarely any parking so I have given up.

Dee1012 Fri 01-Dec-23 11:42:09

It's around £10.00 locally for a smallish portion...a large fish and chips would cost around £13.00 although to be fair, the large portion is more than enough for two people.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 01-Dec-23 11:43:18

The prices of fish, cooking oil and fuel have risen so much lately - apparently many fish and chip shops have closed because people can’t afford the prices except as a treat.

Grandmabatty Fri 01-Dec-23 11:45:58

Where I live it's around about £10 for a large portion of haddock and chips. It's my local chippy and it's won awards so I'm happy with that

sweetcakes Fri 01-Dec-23 12:00:29

My fish and chip shop must be making a fortune then. We worked it out that for a family of 4 it could cost upwards of £40 to £50.00p and they have a Q every Friday night!

silverlining48 Fri 01-Dec-23 12:14:51

In some pubs fish and chips can
Be £20 plus. Everything has gone up, just double it and maybe even add a nought. Why not?
Wine in a pub £40.? What sort of markup is that, then they add 12% service to the bill. Making more on a bottle costing a fraction of £40. Double bubble, .
Apparently inflation is down to 4% If only,

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 01-Dec-23 12:17:51

It’s very good around here, we share a pensioners portion of fish and chips as it’s so large for just one. It’s £8.00

We went down South yesterday and had cod and chips for 8 people, and one steak and kidney pie it cost £52.00. Too much to eat, so lots of leftovers.

So still reasonable to me.

Philippa111 Fri 01-Dec-23 12:18:06

I know prices of things have gone up but I think many are just putting up prices because it's accepted now. My Virgin Media bill has gone up 33% in a year. I have to make the call.....

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 01-Dec-23 12:28:09

Inflation is just the rate at which prices are increasing silverlining, not the amount of the increase.

Ailsa43 Fri 01-Dec-23 12:36:17

£15 for cod & chips at the local chippy here in the greater London area.
The chippy was a favourite for miles around for decades and every Friday night without fail, the queue would be around the block even in the height of summer.
Not now.. very few people can afford it

Ailsa43 Fri 01-Dec-23 12:40:36

I have to say , despite the price of cod & chips now. I was recently in the local Chunese take-away. I rarely have it because it alo has risen in price.. but on the way home I dropped in and ordered a curry, and waited 15 minutes for it.

In that time, the phone didn't top ringing with orders. There must have been 10 call or more, and every call was given their bill total, and not one total was less than £40.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing, so in just 10 calls or 15 minutes that one Chinese take-away took a minimum of £400 in orders. Goodness knows what they're taking from the whole day are , much less the week

Jaxjacky Fri 01-Dec-23 12:43:04

£11 for large cod and chips in Hampshire, we share it, plenty for two.
As GSM said, fuel, oil, fish and potatoes have gone up and wages.

Theexwife Fri 01-Dec-23 12:54:49

Philippa111

I know prices of things have gone up but I think many are just putting up prices because it's accepted now. My Virgin Media bill has gone up 33% in a year. I have to make the call.....

My Virgin bill went up to £68 this year, just a basic TV package and broadband, after a phone call it came down to £29 for 18 months with some sort of boosted broadband speed.

WhatsApp is answered quicker than the phone line.

Primrose53 Fri 01-Dec-23 13:00:36

We live near the coast and get Light Bite cod n chips for £6.50 each. You get a reasonable sized piece of fish and half chips (generous) or you can have sausage and chips or chicken nuggets and chips for same price.

I think full size fish n chips is about £12 but we find that too big and we hate waste.

BlueBelle Fri 01-Dec-23 13:42:55

Around £6 to £8 for cod and chips around here

Freya5 Fri 01-Dec-23 13:56:46

Local chippie, small haddock chips, mushy peas 4.30
Large haddock and chips, mushy peas 7.70, enough for two .
Rating 4.7.
They're very good. Must remember though wages here are lower, but doesn't stop them eating their weekly treat.

BlueBelle Fri 01-Dec-23 15:16:46

I live in a so called deprived seaside town

Georgesgran Fri 01-Dec-23 15:20:53

I have Bells quite near me - award winning. Take out fish and chips are just short of £11.
To eat in, it’s nearer £15, although they do a smaller portion midweek for £10. For some reason, the smaller isn’t available to take out.

Witzend Fri 01-Dec-23 15:22:14

Last time we had F&C from the chippy near dd in Oxford, the portions were HUGE - and we’re not small eaters - easily plenty for 2. Seemed quite reasonable, but it was over a year ago.

TBH I’ve never considered any takeaway a ‘cheap’ meal.

silverlining48 Fri 01-Dec-23 15:24:35

Call it what you like GSM my car, house and holiday insurances have tripled this year. I see that as 300% increase in cost. No change or claims either.

MayBee70 Fri 01-Dec-23 15:35:52

Not fish and chips ( obviously) but the guy who fitted our log burner a few years ago told us yesterday that it would cost us twice as much to have one fitted now.

silverlining48 Fri 01-Dec-23 15:44:17

Don’t understand why things have increased so much. My car insurance last year was under £300, this years quote was just under £1000. No claims no change. How do they justify that.

silverlining48 Fri 01-Dec-23 15:45:08

Yes not fish and chips, sorry 🫠