Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you a Christmas shuffler?

(14 Posts)
FindingNemo15 Fri 01-Dec-23 18:50:13

When I see things that I like and think are suitable for someone for Christmas I buy them, but when the time comes to wrap them I shuffle them around various people on my list. I am also guilty of keeping things just because I like them!

henetha Fri 01-Dec-23 18:51:26

I could have written your thread. I do all of that too..😀

Witzend Fri 01-Dec-23 18:58:20

No, what I do is buy the odd thing way in advance, hide it, and then either a) completely forget that I bought it at all, or b) be completely unable to find it when it’s time to wrap!

About 3 years ago I bought a mega bag of mixed nuts for dh’s stocking (he’s a fiend for nuts, was obviously a squirrel in a previous life), hid it carefully- and I’ve never found it!
He swears blind he didn’t come across it and scoff them all on the quiet.

maddyone Fri 01-Dec-23 19:01:33

Have you got a nest of squirrels in the roof Witzend? grin

Witzend Fri 01-Dec-23 19:05:30

I hope not! Plenty in the garden, though - digging up my winter pansies, the little buggers.

CanadianGran Fri 01-Dec-23 19:13:56

No, I would get overwhelmed. I make a list and check things off. I remember things visually, so I also tend to keep all my gifts in one room (my office), and pile them up by family.

I also don't buy too early... will totally forget about them if it's not in front of me! I was reminded the other day that my son has an extra cat named Billie. I've only seen him once or twice since he goes into hiding as soon as someone is at the door. I forgot about him; and yes, I do get treats for pets...

Jaxjacky Fri 01-Dec-23 19:18:43

No, the people we buy for send me wish lists, from these I make a buying list for each person, ticked off as I get them, that’s fixed.

Georgesgran Fri 01-Dec-23 19:35:15

It’s sometimes quite nice to find a Chocolate Orange hidden away in July!!

FindingNemo15 Fri 01-Dec-23 23:12:21

Lovely to read all your replies. I think maybe I am able to do this as my friends are very similar, but totally impossible to do for men unless they all get the dreaded socks!!

nadateturbe Fri 01-Dec-23 23:36:22

Yes, do both. And I buy things in sales that I think might do someone and still have some from 3 years ago in my present box. I also buy chocolates, not a good idea, too tempting.. Just opened Bojangles truffles, delicious. Very bad.

Witzend Sat 02-Dec-23 07:08:46

Georgesgran

It’s sometimes quite nice to find a Chocolate Orange hidden away in July!!

Oh yes! We were once well into February when I remembered a couple of small ‘emergency present’ boxes of chocolates hidden in the sideboard!

Witzend Sat 02-Dec-23 07:10:44

FindingNemo15

Lovely to read all your replies. I think maybe I am able to do this as my friends are very similar, but totally impossible to do for men unless they all get the dreaded socks!!

My son in law once said he’d really like to get socks - he never thinks to buy any for himself!

JackyB Sat 02-Dec-23 11:26:24

Perhaps you were the squirrel, Witzend - they are the ones who can't remember where they hid their nuts smilewink

Chocolatelovinggran Sat 02-Dec-23 12:37:01

Yep this is me, too. Sadly what I find later is unlikely to be a chocolate orange- I'm like a heat seeking missile for those.
And actually the lads do get socks....it's a kind of MIL joke.