Gransnet forums

Chat

Is one's title part of one's name....?

(43 Posts)
Baggs Sat 02-Dec-23 13:59:56

....in the sense that if you are asked for the name on your credit/debit card you would include your title?

My feeling is no. I would only include a title if particularly asked for it. If I was asked for my first name I would give that and then expect to be asked for my last name. If simply asked for the name on the card I'd give my first name and surname or, in one case firstname-middleinitial-surname.

I'm curious about people's answers because someone I know got into a fix trying to pay for something over the phone because when asked for their first name thought that meant the title. Well, actually, it's more complicated than that because their view was that there was no 'first' name and that a request for "the name on the card" meant Title-FirstName-Surname all in one.

I think this is a rather obtuse interpretation – especially since it meant the payment didn't go through.

Doodle Sat 02-Dec-23 14:02:21

If asked for name as it appears on card then I do just that Mrs first name last name (about the only time I ever have to own up to my full first name)

kittylester Sat 02-Dec-23 14:04:24

I'm with you Baggs. And, my first name is a bit different to the norm and my surname sounds like a more ordinary first name and second name so I would only complicate matters by mentioning my title as well.

Susie42 Sat 02-Dec-23 14:06:32

I do as requested by entering name as it appears on the card or it causes problems if not done.

kittylester Sat 02-Dec-23 14:07:37

I don't admit to the Mrs bit or my full first name and haven't ever had a problem.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 02-Dec-23 14:13:45

Your title isn’t part of your name, unless you are a peer of the realm.

vampirequeen Sat 02-Dec-23 14:15:32

It depends what it says on the card that I'm using.

I only use Mrs J Vampirequeen when someone as annoyed me and I'm signing an email/letter of complaint.

When I'm really, really annoyed I use my DH initial and sign Mrs C Vampirequeen.

maddyone Sat 02-Dec-23 14:16:05

I think you can use your title on your credit/debit card if you want to, or not if you don’t want to.

Baggs Sat 02-Dec-23 14:16:32

Vamp 😂

Jackiest Sat 02-Dec-23 14:23:15

If someone asked for my name I would not give title but if they asked for my name as it appears on the card then I would give exactly what appears on the card as that is what they are checking against.

welbeck Sat 02-Dec-23 14:23:43

a title always used to be included on bank cards as some slight security, as it limits impersonators to half the population.
of course that was in the olden days.
when there were only 2 sexes.
and it was one or the other, no hovering about.
for distant payments just copy/state exactly what is written on card, to avoid confusion.

henetha Sat 02-Dec-23 14:23:43

On my card it it Mrs Initial Initial Surname
- So I always use that including the Mrs.
I gather that it has to be identical to what is on the card.
If you originally did not use Mr or Mrs or Ms, then that would not be required.

kittylester Sat 02-Dec-23 14:39:31

My cards have been Mrs K Lester since I got married 53 years ago (even new ones) so I think it's historical and I keep meaning to ring and get it changed but only remember when a new one appears by which time it's too late.

Baggs Sat 02-Dec-23 14:46:57

I can't remember the last time I needed to say what the name on the card is. If I've filled in a form online I think it has usually been boxes for firstname and lastname.

Most of the time I just use a fingertip and all relevant details are filled in by magic. I used to be able to quote all the numbers on my most used credit card without needing the actual card to be anywhre near me. Can't do that now because I don't need to.

BlueBelle Sat 02-Dec-23 15:00:21

I don’t use my title ever unless it specifically asks

Elegran Sat 02-Dec-23 15:05:34

If they ask for the name on the card, then they want what appears on the card. If (as I do) you always look at the card to check that you have got the number correct, then right in front of you is the name that the card is registered under. No need to second guess whether they are asking for something different, just copy what you see. Even a peer of the realm has probably registered his credit card as "Joe Bloggs", (or maybe "Joseph Bloggs", if he was being formal) not as "His Highness the Twelfth Duke of Ruritaniashire and hereditary trainer of the Royal Corgis."

Shelflife Sat 02-Dec-23 15:06:53

My card says Mrs followed by first name ,initial of middle name then surname.
I regret the Mrs and wish I had used Ms instead or no title at all!!
Men don't declare their martial status so why should the world and his wife know mine !? Just another tradition to keep women ' in their place ' ??

maytime2 Sat 02-Dec-23 15:24:56

My first name is Welsh, English people do not have a clue how to pronounce it, neither would they know what gender I am. I have the same problem with Asian names, I don't know if the person is male or female. That is why I think it is important to have the prefix Mrs. on all official documents, including cheque books and bank/credit cards.

Chocolatelovinggran Sat 02-Dec-23 15:30:25

I'm disappointed to say that I'm Mrs CLG on my cards. I've always fancied myself as Wing Commander CLG..

Chestnut Sat 02-Dec-23 15:33:58

I think it depends on what the bank staff individual put when you opened the account. My bank account is Mrs A B Chestnut and my bank card is just A B Chestnut. There is no first name on either, but that was not my choice.

Chestnut Sat 02-Dec-23 15:38:45

maytime2

My first name is Welsh, English people do not have a clue how to pronounce it, neither would they know what gender I am. I have the same problem with Asian names, I don't know if the person is male or female. That is why I think it is important to have the prefix Mrs. on all official documents, including cheque books and bank/credit cards.

But what if the person is transgender or identifying as 'they' or something else? Your wish for Mr, Miss, Mrs or Ms to be shown is not always valid in the brave new world of the 21st century.

Parsley3 Sat 02-Dec-23 15:58:55

If asked for the name on my card, I give first and last name and leave out the Mrs. So far, I haven't had a problem with this.

MrsKen33 Sat 02-Dec-23 16:11:33

What about the letters that come after. If you have them when and if ever do you use them.?

Oreo Sat 02-Dec-23 16:44:21

Germanshepherdsmum

Your title isn’t part of your name, unless you are a peer of the realm.

I’m a Countess as DP is the Earl of Oreo, or maybe I’m not as we aren’t married.
If asked for name on the card I include my title.

OldFrill Sat 02-Dec-23 17:19:36

I don't have a title on any bank cards.