Gransnet forums

Chat

Food adverts

(9 Posts)
Whethertomorrow Sat 02-Dec-23 14:39:03

With all these Christmas food adverts being shown at the moment I’m looking forward to eating some (okay all) of these beautiful foods.

You know, the desserts that are deep with beautifully defined layers that are nice and thick, oozing with cream and cake. The profiteroles that are large and filled to bursting. The perfectly velvet sauce that comes in generous quantities.

Then you get the table filled to capacity with party food stacked high with the suggestion each munificent plateful is one boxful.

Reality then hits. You open the box to find a shallow gateau with no definable layers, it’s just a squish. There’s enough sauce for a mouse, not gannets like my family.

You open the single box you buy for the buffet and there’s enough for a toddler and they’re minuscule rather than the ginormous size on the advert.

Then don’t get me started on pigs in blankets! This time it’s the price they’ve inflated. £5.50 for ten tiny pinkie finger size. Blimey.

Considering all that I’m having beans on toast and a French fancy for my Christmas lunch.

After my humorous look at food adverts (hopefully), I do wonder how food advertisers get away with unrealistic adverts. They just seem gluttonous to me, but I suppose realism doesn’t sell food.

Margs Sat 02-Dec-23 15:28:27

Yes, fantasy and reality don't mix very well at Xmas. I suppose these "food stylists" have a lot to answer for!
After all, how many ordinary families have what looks like a medieval refectory table absolutely crammed with every Christmas foodstuff delicacy you can imagine?
Not to mention a montage of the 'Ideal Family', beaming, dressed in pristine designer stuff, perfect teeth and hair, Mum and Dad posing with elegant flutes of champagne......

Ha!Ha!Ha! Yeah, and then reality falls apart.

But Happy Christmas anyway.

M0nica Sat 02-Dec-23 15:35:15

Christmas food adverts, the supermarket kind, make me feel physically sick and always have.

A table just covered with vaguely yellowish brownish stuff, all of which I know tastes horrible and plasticy, leaves a nasty after taste in my mouth and not wanting to eat for a week.

If the supermarkets want to sell anything to me they would have to feature just one or two items, 'Look at our lovely sprouts and carrots'. or 'See this lovely turkey and ham joint.'. The more they show the less I want to buy.

I have this same problem on those rare occasions when for some reason I think I will just pick up 'something for lunch'', but do not know what when I go.

the time I have looked at the various ready meals on offer, sandwiches, frozen items, my hunger has completely gone, and I will come out of the shop having bought nothing and with my appetite completely gone..

Oreo Sat 02-Dec-23 15:55:38

Margs

Yes, fantasy and reality don't mix very well at Xmas. I suppose these "food stylists" have a lot to answer for!
After all, how many ordinary families have what looks like a medieval refectory table absolutely crammed with every Christmas foodstuff delicacy you can imagine?
Not to mention a montage of the 'Ideal Family', beaming, dressed in pristine designer stuff, perfect teeth and hair, Mum and Dad posing with elegant flutes of champagne......

Ha!Ha!Ha! Yeah, and then reality falls apart.

But Happy Christmas anyway.

😂 thanks for the laugh Margs and whethertomorrow
Agree the reality is very different!

Whethertomorrow Sat 02-Dec-23 19:22:45

Mary’s, some very good extra points made there. Thank you.

Oreo Sat 02-Dec-23 21:11:02

I usually have an elegant flute of prosecco around Christmas time but that’s where the elegance begins and ends😄
I’m untidy and the house is untidy and DP is untidy. We may or may not appear with our hair brushed.

Sago Sun 03-Dec-23 08:19:45

My concern is how much of this food ends up in the bin!
Christmas has become a gluttonous event.
I am not hosting this year but when I do, I treat it as a Sunday roast with some extras.
I make mince pies, pates and soup, cook a ham on Christmas Eve and a Turkey on the day.
No food comes back into the house until everything has been eaten, we love cold meats and salads, the carcass makes delicious soups.
If everyone spent £20 less this year on food and donated to a food bank or project that fed the homeless it would bring so much joy.

M0nica Sun 03-Dec-23 17:24:23

I buy the best quality food at Christmas, but not an ounce is wasted, and I make stock. Cooked turkey and ham will keep in the freezer for months as will stock and almost every other Christmas food.

We often finish the Christmas turkey on Easter Sunday,with the last Christmas pudding.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 03-Dec-23 17:41:20

Any excess fat on meat is so helpful to the birds. I have just trimmed the fat off some pork steaks and the birds will enjoy it tomorrow along with their regular food, I wouldn’t dream of throwing it in the bin.