Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday 4th December 2023

(69 Posts)
Michael12 Mon 04-Dec-23 05:37:41

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, and raining at the moment here in brackley on top of the cold air .
Today will depend on the weather as to doing what i usually do, if it remains like at present may go out , otherwise grounded if it turns to the worse .
Take Care,
Mick

RosesandLilac Mon 04-Dec-23 05:43:00

Good morning Mick, it’s the same here in the Brecon Beacons, thankfully the cottage is very comfortable and warm..
Yesterday we did little other than dog walking. DD came to lunch, had a lovely leisurely time.
Today I want to visit the Cathedral in Brecon and perhaps have lunch in the cafe there?
Take care and stay warm 🌹

Grandmabatty Mon 04-Dec-23 05:51:42

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 0°. Too dark to forecast the weather. The snow is still lying. RosesandLilac that sounds lovely. Enjoy your break.
Yesterday I pottered about and got a lot of things done. I managed to finally write some Christmas cards, having put it off. It was a quiet, purposeful day.
Today is early childcare day. I'm hoping that the roads are ok as dd lives at the top of a hill. I don't think that dgs2 and I will venture far after nursery drop off. So playing with cars will be in the plans. I hope GrandMattie had a good official opening! Have a good day all

grandMattie Mon 04-Dec-23 05:56:46

Good morning from a mild Bristol. Hasn’t the weather changed suddenly? On Saturday, I don’t think we reached 0C, yesterday and now today, it is in the mid-single figures here…
We had a really lovely time yesterday. DSiL loved not cooking lunch - we had a big squash soup - the very fussy children loved their meal, as did DD.
We set up the ribbons and forewarned DS that we would include him with a video phone call, arranged furniture for 8 instead of 1 and waited for the arrival of my neighbours.
Iris didn’t believe that she should say “I now declare…open”, but did it very well. DGD1 got a fit of the giggles and took ages for her declaration before cutting her ribbon and showing off my bathroom.
DSiL pulled the emergency cord again, causing me to confess to the responders. This poor cord has caused a lot of amusement as, during the cord, it was accidentally pulled up to three times a day!
My neighbours stayed on for over an hour after the family went to their various activities, which was really nice. I had a lovely day.
This morning, I’ve got the painter doing my doors in white to increase the light in the corridor and the chiropodist doing my feet in the afternoon. I must try to get to the toddler group. Having joined them,I have only manage very few days having had a number of valid appointments on a Monday morning.
May the week be kind to you, especially Marydoll, that her nausea and dizziness are tolerable.
Carpe diem 🦩🦩🦩🦩

RosiesMaw Mon 04-Dec-23 06:18:03

Good morning from N Bucks where it is pitch dark and certainly not as cold as yesterday.
I drove back from Birmingham yesterday in fog and rain, but at least it had washed the snow and ice away.
I didn’t say this yesterday but very early on Sunday morning in Moseley I woke up a few times in the night, once around 2.30 I think because of their security lighting and it was snowing quite heavily - BUT what I saw when I looked out to check the weather was a trail of footprints in the snow coming in one gateway along D and SIL’s cars which were parked one behind the other along the drive which runs along the front of the house which is double fronted and wide , then past my little Skoda tucked into a corner and then out the other gate. Somebody on their local WhatsApp group had actually posted a short vid showing that this “intruder” had done this all the way down the road - no doubt trying car door handles on his way. Nasty!
A quiet week ahead so I must write cards, buy presents and get on top of my “to do” /to cook/to bake list .
I hope all of you who are going through an especially hard time find some respite this week and wish you all a pleasant day.

Ashcombe Mon 04-Dec-23 06:26:59

Good morning from a wet Torbay where the temperature hit nine degrees yesterday evening! As you say, grandMattie, what a difference!

Your grand opening sounds like a memorable day! It must have been great to have family and neighbours participating.
I'm glad you’re enjoying your Welsh break, RosesandLilac.
Like you, Grandmabatty, I’ve finally started writing Christmas cards, just a few at a time, in between other tasks.

Yesterday, the Technical Rehearsal lasted nearly five hours with the usual starting and stopping to sort out lighting and sound cues. Tedious but necessary. Opening night is a week tonight…. 😳

Lidl beckons this morning since my freezer and fridge are running low! Move It Or Lose It after that.

I hope this is a better week for those with health issues and enjoyable for everyone. 🦩🥰🌧💐🦩

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 04-Dec-23 06:46:31

Morning all from West Oxfordshire. I’m still in bed but it doesn’t feel particularly cold - I don’t generally heat my bedroom anyway.
We had a lovely weekend with elder son and my granddaughter.
Today we are attending a company reunion lunch near Reading. This is the company where OH and I first met in 1974! He was a young graduate engineer and I was one of the Secretaries.
I must get on sorting our Christmas cards. At least I’ve printed off the labels.
We are having an extra WI committee meeting on Wednesday and there is a bit of admin for me to do.
Your grand opening sounds amazing GM!
Have a good day everyone.

brook2704 Mon 04-Dec-23 06:57:48

Good morning everyone from Cambridge where it’s much warmer than the last few days
What a really lovely day you had yesterday gMattie well done with organising it
We’re had such a lovely time yesterday celebrating DD1s birthday, we had a family walk in the morning and went out for a delicious Sunday roast in the afternoon. Today we’re travelling back home to a very chilly Inverness so a fairly early start for us both. It’s always hard to say goodbye but I’ll be back again soon.
That sounds worrying Rosies I hope someone can identify the person and they get caught
Thinking of everyone with worries and struggles, hope today is gentle and take care all whatever the day brings 🤷‍♀️

kittylester Mon 04-Dec-23 06:59:38

Good morning all from a sodden North Leicestershire.

I have a hospital appointment at 9.10 and the ironing beckons. That's my exciting day in prospect.

Have the best day possible everyone.

Susan56 Mon 04-Dec-23 07:11:30

Good morning from Shropshire where heavy rain has washed the snow away.

A lovely cosy day indoors yesterday.Cards written and presents sorted.

Today we have an electrician appointment between 7 and 5.30🙄I have an X-ray appointment and 15 minutes later in a different part of the hospital a consultant appointment.DD is on standby to take me in case DH is still waiting for the electrician.

The grand opening sounded fun grandMattie.

Take care and have the best day you can everyone🎄🦩

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Dec-23 07:12:20

Good morning from a very wet South Downs,

Nothing planned today except housework and catching up with the washing.

The birds are very hungry and the feeders are empty by midday, and need topping up.

Avocado and bean salad followed by pancakes with pineapple and banana for supper.

Peace and harmony to all.

karmalady Mon 04-Dec-23 07:15:39

Good morning from a very wet s somerset, it has been pouring all night and will pour all day and we have a yellow warning.

I bought some nice christmas snacks yesterday, now tucked away out of my sight. I was tempted by other stuff but did not buy. I am shocked at the cost of a supermarket shop these days. £68 for bits and bobs and a few groceries. Anyway I will not be buying any more and am set up to be cosy through mid winter

I have a christmas gathering and meal with some friends today. I am looking forward to that and then no appointments for the whole week.

Have a good day

Sar53 Mon 04-Dec-23 07:22:39

Good morning from a wet but milder Essex coast.
I am off to Bluewater to meet up with DD2 today. I have a bag of gifts and cards for her to take to DD1 when they go for Christmas.
Shopping and lunch before she has to get back to pick the girls up from school.
I hope there are no holdups on the way (ie the M25).
Sounds like a fun day GM, I'm glad it all went well.
Enjoy today whatever you may find yourself doing xx

Georgesgran Mon 04-Dec-23 07:30:30

Good morning from Durham. It’s a balmy 4degrees and lashing down with rain, so at least it should wash away the snow. My head feels very congested - lots of nose blowing!
Coffee this morning with a couple of friends and a parcel to collect in Next.
I did very little yesterday other than get the Christmas cards and address book out - I really must make a start.
Best wishes to all. X

cornergran Mon 04-Dec-23 07:40:21

Morning Mick, morning All from a soggy corner of Somerset

Summoned enthusiasm yesterday and installed our Christmas decorations, mostly in the conservatory which is now full of cheering light. We’re both finding coughing is exhausting. Mr C is sensibly waiting for the return of energy to do very much. He will test later. Please keep your fingers crossed, he’ll be so upset if still positive.

A long and upsetting call from our goddaughter, she’s struggling to manage the ramifications of her Mum being in essence evicted from a Home. It’s causing us all immense worry.

Great jubilation when the final Christmas gift was sourced by our son, an elusive Lego set which we will give jointly to our grandson. The cards are looking reproachfully at me from their box. I will get to them. Just not today as I’m determined to finish the cleaning I began three days ago. With luck I’ll also find some missing candlesticks. They were hand made for my ma in law and are always part of our Christmas decorations, or they are if I can find them. How hard can it be?

Sounds a super grand opening grandmattie. So pleased for you.

Hope Monday is kind to us all.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 04-Dec-23 07:42:08

Morning all

Sat53 I am also off to Bluewater today with son and his wife. I have a list, I’ve checked it twice 🤣

Have a good day folks 🤶🏻🎄

baubles Mon 04-Dec-23 07:46:17

Good morning all from frosty South Lanarkshire.

Glad you had such an enjoyable day gM.

Safe trip home brook.

Here’s hoping that person is caught Maw.

A busy day yesterday but we got our yarn group’s Christmas tree assembled and placed in its allotted spot.

Last night I wrote another load of cards, I dread to think what the postage will cost.

Volunteering in the shop today then I’ll have to make a start on our own tree as DH kindly brought it in from the garage while I was out yesterday.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

luluaugust Mon 04-Dec-23 07:52:44

Good morning from a damp W Kent. My lovely cleaner is coming this morning and I hope the kitchen will then be sparkling. A walk this afternoon to post the Christmas cards and stretch our legs.
Glad the opening went well gM
Enjoy Bluewater Sar it wasn’t too manic on Friday.
Good wishes all round

Greyduster Mon 04-Dec-23 07:54:17

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from South Yorkshire where it is now raining buckets and washing yesterday’s snow away. Unable to get out yesterday, I did a trial run of mince pies. I had an unopened jar of last year’s M&S brandy and clementine mincemeat, slightly out of date (DD would be horrified), but I used some of that. They were lovely and I’m still here. I have a new jar for this year. I also went through my Christmas card list and was saddened by the number of people no longer with us. It’s been a horrible year. Now I’m able to get the car out, I’ll restock the food cupboard his morning.
Have the best day you can folks.

Greyduster Mon 04-Dec-23 07:55:38

Baubles, how lovely!👏

glammagran Mon 04-Dec-23 08:05:26

Good morning all.

We survived sleepover for the 5 and 2 year old GC. Our DGD had the most horrendous dry cough which kept going all night. I’ve now idea how DGS slept through it as they share a room whilst here. She was exhausted but both were very good but they ate next to nothing. Since the start of September there has always been someone in our 2 families with a long lasting cough.

School pickup later. Hope it’s not raining. I loathe this time of year. It’s perpetually dark. I’m also suffering from BPPV again and dare not turn onto my left side. I think it’s been triggered by the very bumpy cruise.

Your grand opening ceremony sounded great GM. I hope you are feeling better Marydoll and that the Corners are well on their way to recovery. Have a good day everyone.

luluaugust Mon 04-Dec-23 08:09:55

GrannyGravy enjoy your day at Bluewater.

Ziplok Mon 04-Dec-23 08:11:00

Morning everyone.
Just a quick hello as I must go out soon. Will read posts later.

grandMattie Mon 04-Dec-23 08:13:03

Lovely tree, baubles.
Poor you, Corner, I hope your coughs improve soon.
All the best, Ash, with your play. ❤️

Jaxjacky Mon 04-Dec-23 08:16:36

Morning from a soggy S Hants. Your celeb opening sounds wonderful gMattie well done, now to enjoy it.
Safe journey back brook.
Pretty baubles what a lot of work.
We had a lovely lunch out yesterday with old friends, a three hour catch-up, precious.
Today is voluntary phone, a trip to the pharmacy, cleaning the kitchen and quiz tonight.
Have the best day you can.
🦩🦩