Gransnet forums

Chat

TV licence fee to rise by FIFTEEN pounds?

(138 Posts)
infoman Mon 04-Dec-23 07:30:34

and what are we getting from our public broadcaster,
very little in my opinion.
No where on the licence piece of paper does it say our public broadcaster is getting this money,are they embarrassed to mention the name?
Not sure why they put on programmes called introducing to promote new young musical talent,not to mention a
reduction in the amount of your local news in your area.
Don't worry,if your a football follower,
your local football team will still be heard.

karmalady Mon 04-Dec-23 07:36:04

I think out somerset council tax is also going up, we are in special measures and the precept can be whatever is needed. How the heck are we going to manage?

Casdon Mon 04-Dec-23 07:56:23

Not sure why you put fifteen pounds in capital letters? It’s the first rise since 2021, so it’s less than the cumulative rate of inflation.

Jaxjacky Mon 04-Dec-23 08:17:48

It’s under review, as is the whole charging model, so not a given yet.

sassysaysso Mon 04-Dec-23 08:48:33

£15 works out at just over £1 a month and is still b____y good value!

Georgesgran Mon 04-Dec-23 09:09:35

I pay mine monthly, another £1.25 on £13.25 isn’t going to break the bank. Despite often moaning about programmes, for those of us perhaps on our own and/or without hobbies, it still represents good value.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 04-Dec-23 09:09:46

sassysaysso

£15 works out at just over £1 a month and is still b____y good value!

Yes indeed. The Tories, I suspect, want a more American model of broadcasting so that their pals can make money. We need to protect the BBC. With all its faults, it’s still relied on by people all over the world.

M0nica Mon 04-Dec-23 09:11:14

Just under 30p a week, 5p a day.

25Avalon Mon 04-Dec-23 09:20:47

But it’s not just the BBC you are paying for. You get all the other live channels some free and some on subscription.

Granny23 Mon 04-Dec-23 09:22:15

I think it is time that we had a mass campaign as we did for the Poll Tax. IE "Can Pay, Won't Pay"

Urmstongran Mon 04-Dec-23 09:30:32

I’m in two minds over this. On one hand it seems not much per month and it hasn’t gone up in a while. On the other hand I just wish the BBC would make cuts in ridiculously high salaries (I’m looking at you Gary Linekar). Anyway Sunak says he’s going to block it so we’ll see what unfolds.

nanna8 Mon 04-Dec-23 09:31:51

You shouldn’t be paying a tax for TV. We have never had that and hopefully never will. It was an old idea from the start of TV - time they moved on and people refused to pay. You can still keep the BBC, just as we have ABC, ad free over here. They are playing you all for fools.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 04-Dec-23 09:42:25

At least you don’t have to suffer ads (other than programme trailers) with the BBC. When you break down the proposed increase, as posters above have done, it’s not a lot for being able to watch tv 24/7 if you so choose. It’s the only company some people have.

25Avalon Mon 04-Dec-23 09:59:12

Not me Nanna8. Haven’t paid a licence for a few years.

Visgir1 Mon 04-Dec-23 10:02:07

Worth it, iPlayer and the Radio stations included in the price and no ads.

Siope Mon 04-Dec-23 10:39:37

It’s good value, it’s immense soft power for the UK, it has a key role in maintaining standards for factual programming (across the board, not just its own).

Anyone complaining about the hollowing out of content, particularly news and local programming on TV and radio, needs to place the blame firmly where it belongs, which is with the government.

M0nica Mon 04-Dec-23 11:13:20

Granny23 I will start the rival 'Can pay, Will Pay' campaign. hardly ever watch television but the richness of radio, especially R4, makes the license fee worth while at twice the price.

eazybee Mon 04-Dec-23 11:21:08

Sack Gary Lineker, and few other overpaid celebrities.
The fault lies with the BBC who agree these salaries and their acceptance of the avoidance/evasion tactics that are employed.

Doodledog Mon 04-Dec-23 11:34:28

The BBC is a flawed institution, but it is not in the thrall of advertisers, like all the other channels. As globalisation means that there are a few big companies who own huge numbers of small ones it can be extremely difficult to have unbiased reporting. An expose of, say, a drug that harms unborn babies may mean that all advertising from any of the companies under the same umbrella is pulled, and that could be for teabags, face cream, breakfast cereal or whatever, and be ruinous for the channels.

The BBC may have government interference, which it shouldn't, but it is not working under the constraints that commercial channels have to consider.

nanna8 Mon 04-Dec-23 11:39:34

We don’t pay for our National broadcaster, it is free and there are no ads. Why do you pay ? Get a VPN and get it free! Revolt !

Callistemon21 Mon 04-Dec-23 11:44:25

and what are we getting from our public broadcaster, very little in my opinion.

DH reads out the number of repeats on BBC1 &2 each day.
BBC3 is a waste of money.

Quality programming has more or less disappeared, apart from one or two gems.

Callistemon21 Mon 04-Dec-23 11:47:06

Don't forget, either, they had a boost in income when free TV licences for those over 75 were abolished.

Norah Mon 04-Dec-23 12:00:24

Current threads on 'price of fish and chips' and 'TV license fee to rise' seem to indicate inflation's real. It's down to if wages are rising as well?

PamelaJ1 Mon 04-Dec-23 12:29:16

nanna8

You shouldn’t be paying a tax for TV. We have never had that and hopefully never will. It was an old idea from the start of TV - time they moved on and people refused to pay. You can still keep the BBC, just as we have ABC, ad free over here. They are playing you all for fools.

I spent a week locked up in a hotel room in Australia when Covid started. We endured a whole week of Aussie tv🤷🏼‍♀️😂. I wouldn’t want to pay for that either!
The BBC may not be perfect but I think it helps to keep the standard of the other channels up.y

HousePlantQueen Mon 04-Dec-23 13:30:09

Granny23

I think it is time that we had a mass campaign as we did for the Poll Tax. IE "Can Pay, Won't Pay"

why?